dimarzio/ibz pickups from Shenzhen , China? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-02-2010, 07:45 AM Thread Starter

dimarzio/ibz pickups from Shenzhen , China?

hi guys, also acquired a rg350m ye recently.

and yes, dun quite like the inf pickups..so went to the ee**** and check things out. as budget limited , dimarzios seems out of the equation, thus looking at the dimarzio/ibz ones and bought a set and they were shipped out of CHINA.

it came with the single coil not working and the packaging stuck to the pickups. and while trying to remove the the packaging, the surface of the pickups started to peel as well, leaving a dull surface and with the letterings coming off altogether.

so i approached the seller, and question about the set..
it struck me that something's not quite logical..
the prestiges are manufacture in Japan, the pickups are in USA , how can the pickups ended up in China, Shenzhen and the seller claim they are NEW and genuine??

any thots about this guys?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-02-2010, 01:57 PM

Re: dimarzio/ibz pickups from Shenzhen , China?

Need pics, I doubt Dimarzio is making product in China but there are less expensive stock pickups with brass baseplates and triangle shaped feet. That doesn't mean he's getting them from China, but it means someone could be making forgeries. The old (first generation) Stewmac Golden Age humbuckers looked like Dimarzios.

They also could have been excess inventory liquidated from either Japan or Dimarzio to someone and eventually wound up there. I believe the Dimarzio/IBZ product went to Korean guitars, and then perhaps Indonesian guitars, so they didn't have to come from Japan. Some Korean factories have sold off Seymour Duncan pickups that were bought for OEM guitars, but those only were sold INSIDE Korea to guitar stores.
post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-03-2010, 03:27 AM Thread Starter

pickups.jpg

thanks for the tips dude..as u can see, there's all the "Made in USA" prints..but the surface is peeling off!
post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-03-2010, 03:49 AM

thats not just that protective clear film that they put on pickups to protect them during shipping and guitar store abuse?
post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-03-2010, 03:56 AM Thread Starter

thot so initially, but as i try to scrap them (the protective clear film) off, the "Dimarzio/Ibz" wordings also start to go with it..does the letters get scrapped off easily on the prestiges?

even it is , still, not sure how can they get many sets new in China?
post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-03-2010, 06:29 AM
Banned

if you think fitting those pups are going to improve your tone,your in for a shock.i think the inf pups in the rg350 is ok,better than ibanez/dimarzio pups.
post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-03-2010, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob777vdy View Post
if you think fitting those pups are going to improve your tone,your in for a shock.i think the inf pups in the rg350 is ok,better than ibanez/dimarzio pups.
I AGREE!! INF's are better IMO.

Last edited by corey j grieve; 06-03-2010 at 07:13 AM.
post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-03-2010, 07:11 AM

Oooops

Last edited by corey j grieve; 06-03-2010 at 07:12 AM. Reason: double post
post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-03-2010, 07:19 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by corey j grieve View Post
Oooops
yes...oooopps.
post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-03-2010, 09:04 AM

Those pickups are OEM. Did you buy them second hand?
post #11 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-03-2010, 10:57 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedTiger View Post
Those pickups are OEM. Did you buy them second hand?
hi Redtiger
nope.the seller claim it's new. in fact the leads are not soldered.
OEM as in manufactured in China?
post #12 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-03-2010, 11:43 PM

That's... Weird. I don't see why someone would counterfeit cheap pickups. Either way, sorry you got a crappy deal what with the damage to them n all.
post #13 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-04-2010, 12:33 AM

I would wipe them down with Naptha. They clearly do NOT look fake, but the shiny stuff on top is tape gum residue from protective stuff they put on top of the pickups to protect them from scratches in transit and when the guitar is built and in the store. It looks like they either got hot, or the tape residue was of poor quality and broke down. It's also possible that tape residue is why they ended up in China. If the tape residue got sticky on the pickups, then Ibanez couldn't use them, and they could have liquidated them. Or it happened while the pickups were still at Dimarzio and they liquidated them. Or it happened at Ibanez, they returned them to Dimarzio, and Dimarzio liquidated them. If I suggest that Dimarzio liquidated 2nd quality pickups, that could be construed as a negative toward Dimarzio, and I don't mean that, and I truly do think it was Ibanez, or Cor-Tek in Korea that liquidated them. Cor-Tek's Korean factory closed about a year or two ago with short notice, and they moved all production to Indonesia. It's entirely possible Cor-Tek liquidated these.

We have heard reports of "some" Korean guitar builder that would sell our pickups (USA made Seymour Duncan and/or Korean made Duncan Designed) through dealerships if they ordered too many.

There is one thing I would add to this. The single coil does not look like a USA-made Dimarzio. I would have to see a photo of the bottom of it to tell for sure. The way there are notches in the bottom near where the eyelets would be looks more like Ibanez' stock Japanese plastic bobbin. From the bottom, if it's a stock Japanese single coil bobbin it will have square holes in between each of the pole pieces, very easy to see. Also I do not remember Dimarzio single coil pole pieces being that flat against the covers. They usually have some stagger to them and are raised above the cover. But I'm not an expert on current Dimarzio single coil production. If anyone from Dimarzio is reading, how am I doing?
post #14 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-04-2010, 07:03 AM
Banned

when i replaced ibanez/dimarzio pups in a rg2550z i had the luthier asked what do you want me to do with ibanez/dimarzio.i told him to put them in the bin or keep em
post #15 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-04-2010, 07:29 AM

DiMarzio/IBZ pickups are generic at best and I wouldn't have bought them as replacement pickups, but they're in no way worse than Infinity pickups.

Tags
china , dimarzio / ibz pickups

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode