DiMarzio / Ibz pups - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 76 (permalink) Old 05-13-2007, 05:46 PM Thread Starter

DiMarzio / Ibz pups

Hi guys!

I own a marvellous rg2620 cubed ice....

it mounts two dimarzio/ibz pups....
I was wandering if upgrading to better pups would impressively increase my sound... What do you guys think?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 76 (permalink) Old 05-13-2007, 06:34 PM

Re: DiMarzio / Ibz pups

Dimarzio/IBZ pups are REAL Dimarzio's. So your sound will not be "impressively increased", simply different depending on your taste in pups.
post #3 of 76 (permalink) Old 05-13-2007, 10:38 PM

turn the volume up
post #4 of 76 (permalink) Old 05-14-2007, 03:18 AM
GAZ

Play with the pickup height (i.e raise them, they're normally too low straight out the box) and adjust the pole pieces before you decide !
post #5 of 76 (permalink) Old 05-14-2007, 07:24 AM Thread Starter

Yes, thanks guys!

What do you exactly mean with "adjust the pole pieces"?
As for the pups height the range of excursion is not that big...

But all that I meant, I'm pretty satisfacted by my setup..
it's only that maybe I can't get enough gain with my ampli's overdrive!
Of course it could be the ampli, too! It's an old marshall jcm 900 combo 50 W dual reverb... I use effects for having a real stunning distortion. And I was wondering if with some other pups I could have this sound leaving off the effects!

Bye!
www.violetlips.com
post #6 of 76 (permalink) Old 05-14-2007, 08:21 AM

ciao Giuseppe, GAZ intendeva dire di settare i poli magnetici alla giusta altezza con una brugola (se guardi bene i poli hanno l'invito esagonale per la brugola) ma cmq non sarà questo che cambierà il suono nè che valorizzerà i DiMarzio/IBZ.
metterci dei pickups "di marca" cambierà sicuramente il suono, più che altro la pasta e l'intelleggibiltà delle singole corde, anche in distorsione. la maggior parte delle volte cambia in meglio. strana scelta cmq, una RG Prestige per un gruppo glam... interessante.

hi Giuseppe, GAZ meant you can set the height of individual polepieces with an Allen key (look closely, they've got a hex head for the Allen key), but i doubt this would change or improve your DiMarzio/IBZ pickups sound. of course putting "real" DiMarzios or whatever good pickups brand will change your sound, and it would increase the "intelligibility" of every single string sound and freqs, also on distortion. the most time it will get better, way better, though the DiMarzio/IBZ aren't bad at all. weird choice anyway, an RG Prestige in a glam band... interesting.

Last edited by nuno; 05-14-2007 at 08:26 AM.
post #7 of 76 (permalink) Old 05-14-2007, 09:13 AM
GAZ

Raising the pickups and adjusting the pole pieces makes a BIG difference to the sound and gain, I did it with my RG2620 CBL too ! Out of the box it sounded dull and lifeless, now it sounds bright and harmonics jump out so easily.
post #8 of 76 (permalink) Old 05-14-2007, 12:32 PM
Banned

Change them. They suck. I had them in my RGA321FSPB and no matter what I did, they were crappy sounding. I threw in a Tone Zone and.... problem solved.
post #9 of 76 (permalink) Old 05-14-2007, 12:56 PM
GAZ

Talking Re: DiMarzio / Ibz pups

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJazzTerminator View Post
Change them. They suck. I had them in my RGA321FSPB and no matter what I did, they were crappy sounding. I threw in a Tone Zone and.... problem solved.
So 'throwing in a Tone Zone' made the neck pup sound better too did it ?? I have guitars with both TZ and Dim/IBZ's, they are different, I like both, a lot of folks on here hate the TZ too and I don't understand that either. Try what I said then decide !!!
post #10 of 76 (permalink) Old 05-14-2007, 09:55 PM
Banned

No, lol.... obviously the Tone Zone didn't make the neck pickup sound better.

However, I can tolerate a weak neck pickup more than a weak bridge pickup. I like a clearer sound with my neck pickup, anyway, so that's not too big of a deal. Those DiMarzio/ IBZ bridge pickups are terrible in my opinion.
post #11 of 76 (permalink) Old 05-15-2007, 04:43 AM
GAZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJazzTerminator View Post
No, lol.... obviously the Tone Zone didn't make the neck pickup sound better.

However, I can tolerate a weak neck pickup more than a weak bridge pickup. I like a clearer sound with my neck pickup, anyway, so that's not too big of a deal. Those DiMarzio/ IBZ bridge pickups are terrible in my opinion.
The Dim/IBZ neck pup has at least as much output as the AN which most people love and I would say is 'better sounding' than the bridge version. To me it's more for classic rock, like a brighter sounding Angus Young sound.
post #12 of 76 (permalink) Old 05-15-2007, 04:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAZ View Post
Raising the pickups and adjusting the pole pieces makes a BIG difference to the sound and gain, I did it with my RG2620 CBL too ! Out of the box it sounded dull and lifeless, now it sounds bright and harmonics jump out so easily.
i was referring to raising just the polepieces, not raising the whole pickup. raising the polepieces only, won't make that difference, you're probably going to hear better definition on some strings freqs, but no big deal. instead, raising the whole pickup will make noticeably difference in presence, volume, sustain and attack.
post #13 of 76 (permalink) Old 05-15-2007, 11:10 AM

i changed mine to an evo2 and an air norton. i tried raising the ibz's, but they wouldnt go high enough without doing some kind of mod to them. anyways, i didnt really realize they werent high enough until id changed them. so the guitar sounds better now...i think.
post #14 of 76 (permalink) Old 05-15-2007, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAZ View Post
So 'throwing in a Tone Zone' made the neck pup sound better too did it ?? I have guitars with both TZ and Dim/IBZ's, they are different, I like both, a lot of folks on here hate the TZ too and I don't understand that either. Try what I said then decide !!!
GAZ, I'm one of those. Reason being its hyped mids and lows. It was awfully sounding the first time I tried it, quite disappointing. Then I had to roll back (quite a bit) the mids and lows on my Triaxis to make it sound well. I can live with it now that way, it's fine, just that it feels like a very artificial pup. I prefer more natural/neutral sounding ones that allow you more room to play with your pre-amp setup, depending on the situation. I'm still finishing wiring up my new S2020X with a DSonic (bridge) and an Evolution Neck. I tried the DSonic a couple of days ago and it really sounded promising. But I have still to rewire the whole deal, again, to make sure they work the way I want.

But your recommendation to try and see is the best advice that can be given. Check DiMarzio's web site for the tech sheets for each pup and try the one that you feel is closer to your sound goal.

Gus.
post #15 of 76 (permalink) Old 05-15-2007, 01:31 PM

Get pafpros and tone zone

Tags
air norton , angus young , bridge hum , bridge humbucker , bridge pickup , bridge pickups , bridge pup , coil mode , dimarzio ibz , dimarzio pickup , dimarzio pickups , dimarzio super distortion , distortion pedal , evo bridge , evolution neck , guitar mag , ibanez catalog , ibanez clinic , ibanez clinic tour , ibanez dealer , ibanez models , neck pickup , neck pup , output pickup , paf pro , pickup height , preamp gain , steve morse , string pickup , string pickups , super distortion , tone zone

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode