Dimarzio Illuminator VS Evolution VS Gravity Storm - Decision Time! - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 53 (permalink) Old 01-07-2014, 11:07 AM Thread Starter

Post Dimarzio Illuminator VS Evolution VS Gravity Storm - Decision Time!

Hi guys

Need some help deciding between the neck version of either an Illuminator, Evolution or Gravity Storm for my RG570 which I use to shred rock/metal style.

I replaced the original V8 with a high powered D Activator X. I could go for the same pickup's neck version but I wanted to change it up a bit - got a more custom setup in mind.

I like the sound of all three pickups but as with the DAX, it's hard to settle on just one and since I can't demo all three of them myself through my own amp, it's even harder to choose which I think is best for me.

I jam through an Ibanez TB50R and am about to get a new Dunlop KH95 Hammett Signature Wah to add to the mix.

Please share your thoughts with me on these pickups and any pointers from players of Evo, GS or Illuminator will be extra helpful.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 53 (permalink) Old 01-07-2014, 09:20 PM

Reviews: 6
Re: Dimarzio Illuminator VS Evolution VS Gravity Storm - Decision Time!

i only know the gravity storms...better imho for hard rock than metal...very liquidy sounding neck pickup that cleans up nicely when you back off the volume and sparkles when split and combined with a single coil in the middle position...extremely pleased with my set of storms...hope this helps...d.m.
post #3 of 53 (permalink) Old 01-08-2014, 01:08 AM

I like the Evo neck more than the GS neck, but it depends on your bridge pup. If your bridge is a little toned down and not really "high" output, the GS is nice, but if your bridge pup is high output, evo is great.
post #4 of 53 (permalink) Old 01-08-2014, 09:28 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by diablomozart View Post
i only know the gravity storms...better imho for hard rock than metal...very liquidy sounding neck pickup that cleans up nicely when you back off the volume and sparkles when split and combined with a single coil in the middle position...extremely pleased with my set of storms...hope this helps...d.m.
Sounds good. I even like the name Gravity Storm quite a bit Maybe I should go with a hard rock oriented pup since I have a full on metal one in the bridge... What did you have before the Storms?
post #5 of 53 (permalink) Old 01-08-2014, 09:33 AM Thread Starter

@Matias: Now that's interesting. My DAX is very high output at 500mv (just 10mv shy of the highest power X2N) so, the Evo should do nicely in the neck by complimenting the DAX. I noticed that the power figures of the Illuminator and Evo are very close at 295/294 respectively if I remember correctly. Do you think either one would actually sound more louder than the other based on that?
post #6 of 53 (permalink) Old 01-08-2014, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RolanTHUNDER View Post
@Matias: Now that's interesting. My DAX is very high output at 500mv (just 10mv shy of the highest power X2N) so, the Evo should do nicely in the neck by complimenting the DAX. I noticed that the power figures of the Illuminator and Evo are very close at 295/294 respectively if I remember correctly. Do you think either one would actually sound more louder than the other based on that?
Well i cant say because I dont have illuminators. I think its the tonal quality thats more important than the actual output. I'm not that big of a Petrucci fan so I dont really pay attention to anything of his

For me, I like the evo neck much more than the GS neck because the GS neck mids are REALLY scooped and the lower strings (5th-6th) sound really strange with the GS neck: Great for playing up on the high frets and higher strings but when I've just messed around playing the solo of "Hold on to your dream" by Stratovarius, the GS neck just sounds REALLY strange. Evo works much nicer for it.

If you're in the US, you get a 30 day exchange warranty with dimarzio so you can try one out, if you dont like then take it back, exchange it for another one and try the other out. I live in Japan so I dont know if that applies over here
post #7 of 53 (permalink) Old 01-08-2014, 10:20 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatiasTolkki View Post
Well i cant say because I dont have illuminators. I think its the tonal quality thats more important than the actual output. I'm not that big of a Petrucci fan so I dont really pay attention to anything of his

For me, I like the evo neck much more than the GS neck because the GS neck mids are REALLY scooped and the lower strings (5th-6th) sound really strange with the GS neck: Great for playing up on the high frets and higher strings but when I've just messed around playing the solo of "Hold on to your dream" by Stratovarius, the GS neck just sounds REALLY strange. Evo works much nicer for it.

If you're in the US, you get a 30 day exchange warranty with dimarzio so you can try one out, if you dont like then take it back, exchange it for another one and try the other out. I live in Japan so I dont know if that applies over here
Yeah you're right, tonal quality is very important - not just output. I don't have a specific output figure in mind for the new pickup but, I'm keen on a pup that sounds full of body with a good bottom end and thick highs for soloing. I also depend on the neck pup more for cleans than I do the bridge so it's clean capability is important to me as well. I think the Evo fits the bill exactly there I'm not a big fan of Petrucci either but, I appreciate his guitar playing - he is a great player! His Illuminator will no doubt be a hot pickup like Vai's Evo with differences in character.

So, I'm not simply buying a signature pup for the player's name it bears rather, looking at their playing style and tone then considering them if it matches my preference. That being said, it is cool to have a good player's pup at least once lol... or at least until you get your own sig one day

Do you have an Evo in the bridge of your guitar as well?
post #8 of 53 (permalink) Old 01-08-2014, 10:37 AM

Reviews: 4

I would choose evo for the neck. Definitely thick and warm sounding. I have both GS and Evos. Never tried the illuminator.
post #9 of 53 (permalink) Old 01-08-2014, 11:01 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by faekildare View Post
I would choose evo for the neck. Definitely thick and warm sounding. I have both GS and Evos. Never tried the illuminator.
Thanks for responding and for the advice. I like the sound of that. I'm cancelling out the GS at this moment. That leaves me with just the Illuminator and Evo to choose from... at least it's only two now lol...

Hardly anyone seems to have the new Illuminator so, a comparison between it and the Evo is hard to come by right now...

Decisions, decisions, lol...
post #10 of 53 (permalink) Old 01-08-2014, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Yeah you're right, tonal quality is very important - not just output. I don't have a specific output figure in mind for the new pickup but, I'm keen on a pup that sounds full of body with a good bottom end and thick highs for soloing. I also depend on the neck pup more for cleans than I do the bridge so it's clean capability is important to me as well. I think the Evo fits the bill exactly there I'm not a big fan of Petrucci either but, I appreciate his guitar playing - he is a great player! His Illuminator will no doubt be a hot pickup like Vai's Evo with differences in character.

So, I'm not simply buying a signature pup for the player's name it bears rather, looking at their playing style and tone then considering them if it matches my preference. That being said, it is cool to have a good player's pup at least once lol... or at least until you get your own sig one day

Do you have an Evo in the bridge of your guitar as well?
Yeah I do and the evo middle single coil also Wonderful pups man
post #11 of 53 (permalink) Old 01-08-2014, 01:11 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatiasTolkki View Post
Yeah I do and the evo middle single coil also Wonderful pups man
Great! How come I don't see the Evo single pup on the Dimarzio website? I need to replace the single (S1) pup as well so, if I go with an Illuminator neck then I can get an Evo for the middle
post #12 of 53 (permalink) Old 01-08-2014, 06:51 PM

Reviews: 4

Quote:
Great! How come I don't see the Evo single pup on the Dimarzio website? I need to replace the single (S1) pup as well so, if I go with an Illuminator neck then I can get an Evo for the middle
For your info, dont expect the evo single to be high output. It is actually a very low out put pickup that is meant to be used by itself or coil split with other pickups as clean.
post #13 of 53 (permalink) Old 01-08-2014, 09:31 PM

I replaced the evo's in my Jem FP2. I just found them to be a bit brittle in the high end. I didn't like the neck evo as much. I put Gravity Storms in it and couldn't be happier. Full clear sounding with great dynamics. A great set of pickups!
post #14 of 53 (permalink) Old 01-08-2014, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Because they dont sell it as a single pickup usually. I got mine through guitar center in an Evo 3 pack (for dirt cheap too )
post #15 of 53 (permalink) Old 01-08-2014, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by faekildare View Post
For your info, dont expect the evo single to be high output. It is actually a very low out put pickup that is meant to be used by itself or coil split with other pickups as clean.
That's why it's such a nice pup with the other evos. Nice clean pup to go with the overpowered humbuckers.

Tags
dimarzio , evolution , ibanez , illuminator , rg570

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode