DiMarzio or Seymour Duncans? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-08-2006, 12:10 PM Thread Starter

DiMarzio or Seymour Duncans?

I'm going to have my old RG470 modified to two-humbucker configuration. I need help choosing between DiMarzio and Seymour Duncan. Please state pros-cons for each pickup.

PS:Before starting to have second thoughts, I was planning to use Tone Zone(B) and Air Norton(N). What do you think of this configuration?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-08-2006, 12:21 PM

Re: DiMarzio or Seymour Duncans?

I don't have the Tone Zone but i have an Air Norton in the neck of my RG and it's probably the best neck pickup i've heard.

Very good sounding pickup, i highly reccomend it!
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-08-2006, 12:22 PM

Pepsi or Coke?
IMO It's just a matter of your taste and depending on what's your style. My suggestion is always to follow the basic rule "try before you buy".
Anyway, be ready to hear a lot of pros-cons here.
For a two Hymbucker config I would say Seymour Duncan works fine but I never tried them on a RG470 (yes, I know I'm a classic guy). Have a look to previous threads and probably you will find a lot of info about all of them.
Good luck and wellcome!

Last edited by ivan; 03-08-2006 at 12:29 PM.
post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-08-2006, 12:57 PM

I have a guitar with TZ/AN combo, and I think it sounds killer.

I am also a huge fan of SDs, though, so it's hard to say.

Some of the new Washburns sound pretty good, and they have the SD Custom Custom/Jazz configs.
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-08-2006, 01:23 PM

Wink Re: DiMarzio or Seymour Duncans?

Go -Bartolini pickups, i have these in a moded out strat & i'm think'n to do it to a few of my guitars, the sound is just f#ck'n amazing!!! you will see bro, the BEST!

http://www.bartolini.net

Cheers-Jake.
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-08-2006, 03:32 PM

it's totally a matter of preference and honestly you can't really compare duncan vs dimarzio because they both have a huge offering of different types of pickups. tone zone is a fave among metal and hard rock players and while i consider myself a rock player, i really don't like the sound of the tone zone that much (even though i own an older model rg3120 with a tone zone/paf pro combo). i personally prefer the fred from dimarzio, but it's not a high output pickup by any means, just has some great upper midrange frequencies and some crazy harmonics. try out as many as you can as they are all different.

also be aware that the type of wood your guitar is made of (i think the 470s are basswood) makes a big difference in the tone of the pickup too. a tone zone in a mahogony guitar, for example, is going to sound more midrangy and throatier than a tone zone in a basswood guitar. and to complicate matters even more, even 2 guitars with identical specs can for one reason or another sound different (i have experienced this phenomenon firsthand). it's a lot of trial and error, but try them out and make the best decision based on your research.
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-08-2006, 03:37 PM

I think it depends on the guitar. For an RG I would definetely put in Dimarzio's. If it was a J-Custom I might consider SD's.
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-09-2006, 08:54 AM Thread Starter

Thanks guys!
The try-before-you-buy approach is the one I'm going to follow. I've alrady tried an rg with tz/an and i still have to try a guitar with two SD humbuckers. In Greece unfortunately, most guitars come with Duncan Designed pickups (can you believe that there are NO american made Jacksons in Athens?). A friend of mine plays with a guy that has an RG570 with SD's, so it looks like I will be able to play one! As for bartolini, I wasn't aware that they made guitar pickups! I will check them out!
Thanks again!!
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-09-2006, 09:51 AM
VB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris777
I think it depends on the guitar. For an RG I would definetely put in Dimarzio's. If it was a J-Custom I might consider SD's.
Erm, as far as I know J-Customs are made by J-team the same guys who
make the Prestige models, they just have different model names and mabe a slightly wider range of models since they are exclusively made for the Japanese market.
Prestige are export only.
Not all RGs are prestige though.

That said i think the guys at Ibanez, should reallly come up with a simpler
and easier way of naming their guitars.

I got Dimarzio IBZ pickups in my RG2570 and they really sound great, Ive
heard the other pickups in the Dimarzio lineup but somehow I still preffer the sound of my guitar. I have heard the SD in the Jackson SL3, and they sound
a lot darker but that could be cos of the different wood.
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-09-2006, 12:27 PM

i put a set of duncan designed pups in my epi lp and wow!best 45$ i have ever spent.they are based on the duncan distortion but imo they are a great all round pup,nice and meaty,great mids and clear highs and inexpensive off *bay.and they are also a 4 wire pup to split the coils.
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-10-2006, 05:30 PM

I personally like the Tone Zone. Sounds pretty close to the JBs, but with more output. I have them in my Peavey Wolfgang. Good pickup, particularly the bridge.
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-10-2006, 05:56 PM

Seymour Duncans have always sounded sterile to me. I would never put them in an Ibanez, but that's just me...
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-11-2006, 08:44 PM

I use the tonezone/airnorton combo in an RG550 and it works fine. good all around sound. paul gilbert meets jpetrucci sound. but it sounds good for steve vai and van halen stuff too. quite a flexible pup combination.
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-11-2006, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris777
what rot ! it is all about the WOOD, not Series type.
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-13-2006, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by megadeth
what rot ! it is all about the WOOD, not Series type.
he's got a point.

rich

Tags
air norton , basswood guitar , bridge pickup , dimarzio ibz , duncan designed , duncan distortion , equipped guitar , ibanez guitars , iron maiden , neck joint , neck pickup , output pickup , paf pro , paf pro combo , paf pros , paul gilbert , peavey wolfgang , pickup selection , pro combo , seymour duncan , seymour duncans , steve vai , strat style , tone zone , van halen

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode