Dimarzio Super Distortion vs. Breed vs. P.A.F. - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-10-2008, 05:18 PM Thread Starter

Dimarzio Super Distortion vs. Breed vs. P.A.F.

I am looking at all three of these pickups for the bridge position of my SZ720. I am kinda interested in the new P.A.F. Bridge but am unsure. Can anyone tell me the differences between these pickups? I play in a pop rock band doing stuff from softer rock to kinda heavier. I use the bridge position about 85% of the time so I need something that will cover the most ground...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-10-2008, 05:53 PM

Re: Dimarzio Super Distortion vs. Breed vs. P.A.F.

I use the PAF pro in my main guitar. Are you thinking about a normal PAF or a PAF pro? Or well, you said "the new PAF", is there a new one that's neither of those I mentioned? Fill me in, if it's the PAF pro I can tell you what I think about it
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-10-2008, 06:06 PM Thread Starter

well the one I was looking at was the new "P.A.F. Bridge". It's listed on their site.
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-10-2008, 06:10 PM

Ah! I see, the one listed under "Vintage output", right? Well, i guess I can't help you as much. Though, what I can say is I LOVE PAF pickups. They're great for almost anything! Now, i'm by no means a metal player, but using my modified ADA MP-1 I can get really brutal gain out of the PAF pro pickups if i would want to. So it's doable but not the PAFs cup of tea, I guess. But I love their tone, it's very midrangey and kind of warm. coil splitted they almost sound acoustic, really really nice cleans!
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-10-2008, 06:20 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for your input! Can anyone else give an opinion about which would be the best for what I described??
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-10-2008, 06:24 PM

man, for the type of band your in, i think the breed or really the tone zone is what you'd be after. super distortion is almost too hot for the pop rock. really mean in a vintage type way. the paf is ultra classic. the breed is more modern vintage. like a bigger paf with a bit more output. in my sz520, i have a duncan combo, alnico 2 pro and jb. covers anything out there...minus my 7 string stuff. but has a great les paul type tone, but with the more modern clean tones due to the coil splitting. if you were open to duncans, i would suggest the jb or custom.

rich
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-10-2008, 10:09 PM

Paf pro, tone zone and EVO2 in the bridge is the best I've tried so far.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-11-2008, 08:31 AM

Reviews: 3

I've got TZ's in 2 of mine Ibz's and they are perfect for Lynch type tone. Not sure if that is the type of tone you are looking for or not but these are GREAT pups.

Tags
bridge position , clean tone , coil split , coil splitting , les paul , paf pro , paf pro pickups , pro pickups , super distortion , tone zone

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode