Dimarzios for an RGA - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-06-2007, 12:37 AM Thread Starter

Dimarzios for an RGA

I have an RGA 121 and I'm trying to pick a set of Dimarzios.

I need versatility. I play either tech metal, hard rock, or post rock instrumental ambient stuff. yes, i do have multiple personalities. haha.

for the bridge:
i love mids for my distortion. crunch = happy. i need the bass to be tight. i need aggressive and in your face sound too. organic too, hearing that grainy sound of the wood... yeah... people find weird ways to describe tone.
i need it to sound good split for cleans too. i'm not too picky on my cleans, just as long as they aren't a bassfest of mud.

for the neck:
i need something bright that will cut through for leads. the neck is where i'm more picky for cleans. once again it needs to be bright so it can sound clear when it's split. of course when i say bright i don't mean so much that my ears kill, but sparkly and clear.

I don't want super high output (X2N, Drop Sonic, D Activator) in either position unless it can do it without being muddy, buzzy, squeaky, and sloppy.

I have been thinking that the Super 3 and PAF pro fit both of these descriptions quite well. I have also thought about a set of breeds or evolutions.

Thanks a lot to anyone who read this and responded!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-06-2007, 04:19 AM

Re: Dimarzios for an RGA

Definitely go PAF Pro in the Neck.
Then, I would go ToneZone in the bridge.

Thats the combo I have in my RG421 and they are very nice. They go well together, and definitely would give you the sound your after. Awesome metal and hard rock tones, but can be dialled down too.
post #3 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-06-2007, 04:23 AM

AN/TZ is always great or PP/TZ just like thegodfather recommended
post #4 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-06-2007, 09:38 AM

For the bridge:
Try a Norton, Breed Neck, Duncan Custom Custom or Duncan PATB-3
These pickups can give you the full mids, tight bass, and organic/woody sound you are looking for.
I would NOT recommend the Tone Zone because you are looking for tight bass and an organic sound.

For the Neck:
Since you said bright, I would NOT recommend the Air Norton.
Try a Paf Joe, Virtual Hot PAF, Humbucker from Hell, or Paf Pro like you said.
post #5 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-06-2007, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the.godfather View Post
Definitely go PAF Pro in the Neck.
Then, I would go ToneZone in the bridge.

Thats the combo I have in my RG421 and they are very nice. They go well together, and definitely would give you the sound your after. Awesome metal and hard rock tones, but can be dialled down too.
if you must go Dimarzio then the Paf Pro in the neck would be my first choice too. the PP is one of my fav neck pickups.
i went the Seymour route with a JB(b) and a Jazz(n). couldn't be happier. i tried the TZ/AN combo and it wasn't for me. in fact, i tried that combo in quite a few different guitars and they just didn't give me what i wanted. i start drooling everytime i plug in my RGA w/ that Seymour combo.
post #6 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-06-2007, 11:26 AM

hey screamndemon, nice top!

+1 on the JB/Jazz combo.

I'll also have to add that the JB/Custom Hybrid would probably be awesome in an RGA! I havent' tried it yet on my RGA, but i'm planning to soon...
JB/Custom hybrid in the brdige and 59/Jazz hybrid for the neck, hmmmm....
post #7 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-06-2007, 11:31 AM

thanks. i got this one from Eric's Guitars and it was the one he had posted as a pic for a loooong time on his home page and probably still does if his site is still up. in hindsight it was a big mistake for the deal i made but it doesn't take away from the guitar one bit.
i'm not familiar with the hybrids? i have a JB/'59 in my USA Hamer (maple top, mahogany body) and it has the tones i like. maybe i'm just old school.
post #8 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-06-2007, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by screamndemon69 View Post
if you must go Dimarzio then the Paf Pro in the neck would be my first choice too. the PP is one of my fav neck pickups.
i went the Seymour route with a JB(b) and a Jazz(n). couldn't be happier. i tried the TZ/AN combo and it wasn't for me. in fact, i tried that combo in quite a few different guitars and they just didn't give me what i wanted. i start drooling everytime i plug in my RGA w/ that Seymour combo.

Did you rout around where the pickups mount? I ask because on my 321 they are V shaped on the body and I have a set of Wolftones Dr V's I'd like to drop in (double white bridge and zebra neck), but I would ether have to notch the body or shape the pickup mount.

Last edited by the399; 02-06-2007 at 04:25 PM.
post #9 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-06-2007, 02:53 PM

how come no one ever recommends the evo2?
post #10 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-06-2007, 03:00 PM

I would recommend a PAF Pro in the neck and maybe a Breed in the bridge :-)
post #11 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-06-2007, 03:55 PM Thread Starter

I would like to stay with dimarzios because duncans are near impossible to find in trembucker spacing.

PAF Pro for neck it is.

I really like the custom, what's the dimarzio equivalent to it?
post #12 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-06-2007, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clypher View Post
I would like to stay with dimarzios because duncans are near impossible to find in trembucker spacing.
Any SD dealer has them, or any of the sellers on the bay. I will second the JB/59 combo, or even the JB/Jazz in that guitar.
post #13 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-06-2007, 04:53 PM Thread Starter

The jazz doesn't come in trembucker form, but it is what I'd want.

Why JB over the Custom? I hear that the JB is the best with 250K pots, mine are 500K.

Also, it's easier to find Dimarzios at a lower price it seems. I have a Duncan now and I really don't like it, although I'm sure that's mostly to blame on the model rather than the company.

Gee I always thought Dimarzios were sworn by in Ibanez's

Last edited by Clypher; 02-06-2007 at 05:21 PM.
post #14 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-06-2007, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by screamndemon69 View Post
thanks. i got this one from Eric's Guitars and it was the one he had posted as a pic for a loooong time on his home page and probably still does if his site is still up. in hindsight it was a big mistake for the deal i made but it doesn't take away from the guitar one bit.
i'm not familiar with the hybrids? i have a JB/'59 in my USA Hamer (maple top, mahogany body) and it has the tones i like. maybe i'm just old school.
For info on the hybrids, check out the Duncan forums.
Basically, it's taking 1 coil from a JB and 1 coil from a Custom, so you have mismatched coils -- same idea as Dimarzio's patented "dual resonance" thing.

Hey Clypher:
For the tones you are describing, it seems like a bridge ppickup in the range of 10k - 14k would work for you... try a Norton, Breed Neck, or a Virtual Hot PAF.

Evo2 also seems like it would suit your needs, although I haven't tried that pickup yet. If they tweaked it to be more organic and warmer sounding than the original evo, then it should be a good pickup.
post #15 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-06-2007, 05:22 PM Thread Starter

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the Super 3. I've heard lots of good things about it and it supposedly has lots of mids. Is there something not so good about this pickup?

Tags
air norton , air norton neck , bridge pickup , local luthier , mahogany body , maple neck , neck pickup , neck pickups , neck position , norton neck , paf joe , paf pro , paf pros , seymour duncan , seymour duncans , standard neck , string pickup , string pickups , tight bass , tom morello , tone zone , versatile pickup , virtual hot paf , vwh bridge

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode