Dimebag Deans - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-09-2006, 12:04 PM Thread Starter

Dimebag Deans

I was just thinking earlier, I think I was in a bad mood at the time, and I was thinking that maybe its a bit inappropriate to continue a sponsorship deal after the player has died. Because it could be seen that Dean are making money off the memory of someone, I mean they do have 'tribute' guitars, but they at the end of the day they are still profiting from the death of someone and it could be argued that their advertising these instruments as 'tribute' implies a nobler aspiration than the reality of the situation, that it is possibly done for profit. Basically is it morally right to continue to use, for profit, the name, legacy and reputation of someone who has passed away?
Does anyone have any thoughts on this? I only mean to find out and discuss some opinions, I haven't really formed one, so I'd like to hear from anyone with any ideas on this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-09-2006, 12:09 PM

Re: Dimebag Deans

They still have the SRV and Jimmy Hendrix strats.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-09-2006, 12:22 PM

Jimi.
post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-09-2006, 12:37 PM

I don't know? The Jackson Rhoads has been going strong for a long time. If people want to buy them then why stop selling them? Are consumers to blame?
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-09-2006, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordhauser View Post
Jimi.
Thanks. Since I am not a fan I was oblivious to the correct spelling.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-09-2006, 12:49 PM

They were profiting while he was alive. You have to realize, continuing to market them is based on sales figures and the fact that it only goes to keep that player fresh in peoples minds based on the influence he was as a player. Not to mention any design features that players have become accustom to. Do you expect them to stop production on Les Paul's or JEM's if God forbid something happen to either player? I hope not.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-09-2006, 01:17 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemplayer55 View Post
They were profiting while he was alive. You have to realize, continuing to market them is based on sales figures and the fact that it only goes to keep that player fresh in peoples minds based on the influence he was as a player. Not to mention any design features that players have become accustom to. Do you expect them to stop production on Les Paul's or JEM's if God forbid something happen to either player? I hope not.
Yeah that is a good point. The preservation of a players reputation through the selling of the instruments is certainly a good thing.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-09-2006, 02:06 PM

While I do think that Dean has gone crazy with the "tribute" models (as many different models as their entire line it seems), I can't help but think that if the proceeds from these sales are putting Dime's kids through college (did he have any?) or taking care of his family in his absence, there can't be anything wrong with it.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-09-2006, 02:12 PM

Cool Re: Dimebag Deans

Quote:
The preservation of a players reputation through the selling of the instruments is certainly a good thing.
+1

Quote:
They were profiting while he was alive.
Not exactly, Dime went back to Dean after all those years (when the Washburn deal ran out) just before his death. Dean put a lot of effort in a complete line-up of Dime signatures, from a business point of view it doesn't make sense to scrap all that work, without any returns.

Ultimately not only Dime's fans benefit from having the choice to actually buy something in his memory, but (depending on the exact nature of the deal) Dime's relatives or perhaps a worthy cause will benefit financially. There is some info on proceeds going to the Dime Foundation at Dean Guitars:

http://www.deanguitars.com/dimebag.php

To me, it makes more sense to produce a guitar that the player endorsed and collaborated on, than just a copy of a single famous sample (ie. SRV, Rory Gallagher, Jimi) Jimi's case is particularly strange since his name was used to sell a G!bson V and a [email protected] The link between Dean (Zelinsky) and Dime seems more sincere.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-09-2006, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eviltwin View Post
+1
Not exactly, Dime went back to Dean after all those years (when the Washburn deal ran out) just before his death. Dean put a lot of effort in a complete line-up of Dime signatures, from a business point of view it doesn't make sense to scrap all that work, without any returns.
Maybe not on the Signature models...... but he played Dean ML models to start with. People were buying those based on his use of them. I believe that was before the Washburn deal wasn't it?
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-09-2006, 04:29 PM

A single sig or tribute model is respectable however when you have multiple models I think it becomes a little tacky. Jimi - SRV - only have one model.
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-09-2006, 05:49 PM

Then again, the Hendrix and SRV sign models are expensive and have an Ivory-tower, collectable-not-for-playing aura about them. For the Dimebag models (hell, even throw in the Rhoads models), there are entry level models and high-end models, so to the high-end buyers the artist is respected and dignified with a high-end instrument, and for the entry-level player who idolizes Dimebag, he's not priced out of the market. That kind of accessability is a cool thing.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-09-2006, 06:34 PM Thread Starter

Yeah maybe if they reduced the range to a couple of really nice models, maybe with cheaper counterparts? It might be more 'special' that way?
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-09-2006, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiewitt1 View Post
I was just thinking earlier, I think I was in a bad mood at the time, and I was thinking that maybe its a bit inappropriate to continue a sponsorship deal after the player has died. Because it could be seen that Dean are making money off the memory of someone, I mean they do have 'tribute' guitars, but they at the end of the day they are still profiting from the death of someone and it could be argued that their advertising these instruments as 'tribute' implies a nobler aspiration than the reality of the situation, that it is possibly done for profit. Basically is it morally right to continue to use, for profit, the name, legacy and reputation of someone who has passed away?
Does anyone have any thoughts on this? I only mean to find out and discuss some opinions, I haven't really formed one, so I'd like to hear from anyone with any ideas on this.
How about people who are named as a beneficiary in a will? What can we do about those group of slackers who benefit from someone else's death?
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-09-2006, 07:03 PM Thread Starter

I'm not saying that prolonging the sale of a signature guitar after the persons death is a good or bad thing, I'm just interested in other peoples opinion. I may have leaned more in favour of it not being a good thing before, but after some good comments in this thread I'm not so sure.

Tags
les paul , signature guitar

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Similar Searches

People searched for this, also searched for these:

dimebag used what pickups
what tuning did dimebag use?

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode