Direct-mounting DiMarzio pickups? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-23-2011, 09:38 PM Thread Starter

Direct-mounting DiMarzio pickups?

So I just got the new DiMarzio CrunchLab and LiquiFire pickups today, but I found that the direct-mounting screws that I previously had in that guitar don't fit. The guitar is JPM which originally had DiMarzio Steve's Special and Air Norton, which were also direct-mounted, so I thought this swap should work pretty easily. But it looks like the mounting holes on the CL/LF are smaller than what was there before on SS/AN.

So, how is direct-mounting done normally? Do people generally find wood screws that fit through the mounting holes exactly, or do they usually have to widen the mounting hole by drilling or something? I don't mind doing that, but I don't know what that would do to my DiMarzio warranty or 30-day exchange policy.

I'll be calling DiMarzio tomorrow to ask, but if anybody has any experience with direct-mounting, and especially with DiMarzios, please share.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-23-2011, 09:41 PM
Vendor

Re: Direct-mounting DiMarzio pickups?

You'd use the screws that came out of the JPM. They're just about exactly the same diameter as the hole, but they can marr the thread a bit so sometimes you can't use direct mounted pickups as guard mounted later.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-24-2011, 12:21 AM Thread Starter

I see. But it still seems way too big. Here, take a look at this... This is how far I can put in the screw before it becomes completely finger-tight.

I haven't tried forcing it further with screwdriver, yet. Does this seem normal? See how the part near the screw head is thick? It seems much bigger than the mounting hole. But if I'm STILL supposed to just force it through, that's fine I guess, but how would that affect the warranty or the 30-day exchange policy with DiMarzio? Just curious.
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-24-2011, 12:22 AM
Vendor

It doesn't look like a stock screw to me.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-24-2011, 12:29 AM Thread Starter

That crossed my mind. I don't know if the previous owner of the JPM messed with it, but I'm pretty sure those were indeed Steve's Special and Air Norton in it and they were certainly held up by those screws.

I assume I don't have much choice here but to order mounting screws from DiMarzio? Another place? I wouldn't be able to find those in a hardware store, most likely, right?
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-24-2011, 12:35 AM
Vendor

I haven't had a set of JPM's pups out in years, since I was pulling all those A's apart to verify details. They might have used larger screws on them, but not today. Current screw will drop the threads through the hole until it hits the shaft, and that's where it's tight. I have them but they wouldn't meet the minimum, you could try Dimarzio, I doubt you'll find the correct but surely a hardware store would have full thread in the right diameter. You'll have to tighten the wood holes though.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-24-2011, 01:03 AM Thread Starter

Hmmm... I don't have any experience with doing that kind of work, sealing holes in wood and whatnot. What does that involve? Basically what I'm trying to figure out is which one of these two options is better:

a.) somehow get the correct screw size, which will certainly be smaller diameter than the one that's been in the JPM so far, which then also means tightening the wood hole

or

b.) widen the mounting holes on the pickup backplate slightly so that the JPM screws fit through it

Which is lesser of the two evils?
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-24-2011, 01:05 AM
Vendor

Flip a coin
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-24-2011, 01:08 AM Thread Starter

Hahaha, they're equally bad options, aren't they!?

What would you do, Rich, if this were one of your JPMs, and you just got brand new Crunch Lab and LiquiFire for it?
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-24-2011, 01:12 AM
Vendor

Call Dimarzio and ask if it matters if the holes are mangled for return. If it doesn't matter to them just use what you have. If it does, then you have to decide.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-24-2011, 01:22 AM Thread Starter

Yeah, I was planning on calling them tomorrow for sure, as I have nothing to lose by getting their input on this. I think I'm leaning on the option of widening the pickup holes on the backplate, as long as it doesn't mess with DiMarzio's warranty. So we'll see what they say, I guess.

My hopes of putting in the pickups tonight already fell through, so it'll have to wait another day (or few).

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, Rich. Let's see what tomorrow brings.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-24-2011, 01:13 PM Thread Starter

Alright, DiMarzio says it's normal to have to widen the holes on the pickup backplate, as the pickup needs to fit the guitar, not the other way around. This doesn't affect the warranty or return policy, as long as no other damage is done to the pickup.

So, I'll be widening the mounting holes tonight and giving this a try! I already found some weather stripping that will work great for padding underneath the pickups, so I think I'm all set for tonight!

Tags
dimarzio , direct-mounting , pickups

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode