Dissassembling a guitar. - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-02-2012, 07:41 PM Thread Starter

Thumbs down Dissassembling a guitar.

I just bought an rg 7621, and man this thing is filthy when you get right down to it. There's some kind of corrosion or filth all up in the bridge and all over most of the screws, including the ones that hold the neck onto the body. Further, the freaking fretboard reeks of patchouli and its driving me crazy.

Im wanting to completely disassemble it to clean it, but honestly I've never done it before so im a little concerned. Is there anything I need to know about removing a fixed bridge and bolt on neck?

Also, how the hell do you get the smell of patchouli out of a guitar fretboard?

Ugh.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-02-2012, 08:15 PM

Re: Dissassembling a guitar.

save all the screws!!!
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-02-2012, 08:19 PM

No really...It shouldn't be a problem considering it's a fixed bridge. The plus is that you'll get to know your guitar in a whole new light!! Just make sure that you remember how things were as you take them apart. Like for instance, if your neck has shims in the neck pocket, just make a note how they were oriented in the pocket and set them in a safe place while you are cleaning. Use some lemon oil on the fretboard to condition it and to maybe help in taking care of the smell.
The only way you'll truly learn how to do your own setups is to take the guitar completely apart! That's how I learned.
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-02-2012, 10:21 PM

Reviews: 1

Taking pictures before you disassemble it and along the way could be helpful also just in case you can't remember anything.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-02-2012, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahamut View Post
Also, how the hell do you get the smell of patchouli out of a guitar fretboard?

Ugh.
I have no idea what that is, but try tomato sauce or kerosene.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-02-2012, 11:28 PM Thread Starter

Its a scented oil that dirty hippies rub on themselves to try to mask the fact that they don't shower regularly..
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-03-2012, 01:41 AM

steel wool then lemon/tung oil. Vacuum cleaner to suck up all the loose crap
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-03-2012, 08:55 AM

Better than steel wool is micro mesh, better job no mess. Lemon oil, not sure as many people say the acidity in the lemon oil will corrode the frets . i use Guitar Honey personally and its nice.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-03-2012, 08:59 AM

You can use ammonia, but it might dry out the board and require a lot of oilings to bring back. I'd definitely use ammonia on the back of the neck though. If the clear finish on the neck has become shiny from play, I like to rub it out with steel wool to bring back the matte finish.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-03-2012, 11:00 AM

Reviews: 1

i've done this with customer's guitars before, and you'd be suprised how dirty a guitar can be. what i like doing is after taking off the strings, clip the ends and save them. Once everything is taken care of, put the string clippings in the screw holes and line them into the center of the holes in the body. Sounds odd, but i got a perfect match every time. It's like you took out the screws halfway and turning it back in. PERFECT MATCH.

Pics?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode