Do all S5470's have titanium rods in the neck? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-06-2012, 11:42 AM Thread Starter

Do all S5470's have titanium rods in the neck?

Out of curiosity, do all the S5470 guitars have the KTS titanium reinforcement in the neck? I received mine yesterday (an 08 build) and it's just fantastic. I haven't found anything I don't like about it yet but hey, it's still the honeymoon period.

I see in the 2010 catalog, they list the KTS titanium rods but not in 2009. I do not have a KTS sticker on the back of the headstock either. I read many, many reviews on this guitar both good and bad, some people calling the neck dead. I actually found just the opposite. The neck really is quite alive while playing. Whereas my thinline tele's body seems to vibrate, the neck on the ibby is more lively.

So just wondering if the 09's don't have the titanium reinforcements. I also didn't find the neck overly thin. I had a PRS Torero and found that neck comfy in some aspects but too thin up top.

No point in NOT posting up a pic, right?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-06-2012, 06:17 PM

Re: Do all S5470's have titanium rods in the neck?

Beautiful guitar mate,good to see someone with a proper MIJ saber.
No Titanium in this year of manufacture,plus this hasn't got the super wizard neck of 2010 onwards.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-06-2012, 06:17 PM

Awesome photos BTW.
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-06-2012, 07:17 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info and compliments Corey. Did the 2010 neck get even more thin than the 2009? Is that the reason for the Ti rods? Just wondering if I'm missing out and the 2010's are a vast improvement. I actually wouldn't want a thinner neck.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-07-2012, 12:51 AM

Super wizard necks are the thinnest necks available,all original MIJ sabers had this skinny profile......it matched the streamlined approach of the guitar.

For many years there were no MIJ sabers so when they returned in 2008 many folks(my self included) were very happy to see them back......and then immediately disappointed they had the chunky 'wizard' neck profile...."wtf?"
Fast forward to 2010 and finally i could buy a Japanese saber with best specs.

2010 was also the introduction of the KTS rods.

Don't sweat the rod thing....no big deal at all,and if you love the feel of the thicker neck then life is sweet.

I'm a 'super wizard' guy and have been waiting patiently for the right S5470 RVK to come along......finally got one last week and should arrive tomorrow.
I'm Saber crazy i have owned a lot and still have many,they are the guitars that got me into Ibanez in the first place and i consider them to be THE best guitar design ever.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-07-2012, 01:47 AM Thread Starter

Yeah I actually do prefer thicker necks. Gave up my Torero and bought at Bernie Marsden instead. Much better neck (to me anyway). I will say the finish on the 5470 is just fantastic. It's a much faster neck overall than either of my other two guitars. Really enjoying it!
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-17-2012, 02:16 AM

I have a slightly offtopic question, yet those in the know might probably help.

I believe I've seen this covered on some forum before. It has to do with a supposed problem with the first batches of 24-fret S's. Something in the vein of neck not being able to be set evenly no matter how you adjust the truss rod, with upper frets region being placed higher than it should or at a wrong angle, or both. Hence a bit awkward feel and more fret buzz.

It happens to an extent on my early S5470BW-RVF, that most certainly doesn't have a titanium rod. Have you experienced that?

UPD: maybe it was this one: http://forum.ibanez.com/yaf_postsm38...---update.aspx

Last edited by mrpanoff; 10-17-2012 at 02:41 AM.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-17-2012, 12:44 PM Thread Starter

I don't notice any fret buzz on mine in the higher register and it's set pretty low. I do see some in the lower register and I think it's a case of needing to tweak and set up the guitar as it came from California to SW Florida where the weather is quite a bit different. It still plays very well as is. I do not have the titanium rod either. It's been tuned and intonation was set, that's it. New pickups currently going in but waiting on a new 5-way switch (stock one doesn't work with a hum canceling middle pickup)

I am contemplating having a true luthier look at it just for curiosity's sake based on everything I've read on the forums. I went back and read that entire thread and I think there's a lot of disinformation spelled out there. I have no doubt people have sustain issues but no one has come up with a definitive cause. I have a dead spot on one fret, one string. Below and above, other strings, it's consistent. But that one note, g string, 15th fret, does die quickly. I think it's setup. I do not hear it buzzing/hitting another fret. I recently had a used 540S that I returned. It would buzz on one particular spot further up the neck, like the 12th fret and it was definitely a neck/fret issue. I'd never experienced that before. Guitar was too much of a basket case to keep and fix.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-17-2012, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelIV View Post
I have a dead spot on one fret, one string. Below and above, other strings, it's consistent. But that one note, g string, 15th fret, does die quickly..

Yes, about that region notes die down in less than 3 seconds. I still think it has to do with the neck mount angle being wrong or something.

Quote:
I went back and read that entire thread and I think there's a lot of disinformation spelled out there. I have no doubt people have sustain issues but no one has come up with a definitive cause.
Yet no smoke without fire.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-19-2012, 07:13 AM Thread Starter

So I had the pickups changed in my S5470. I did Gravity storms in the neck and bridge with an HS-3 in the middle. There's no major change in sustain, maybe a bit but it ain't much. Then again, except for one note on one string, it doesn't seem to be an issue on my guitar.

But back to the point, after playing for a while last night, I'm now convinced my problem is a result of a fret issue. Next fret up, no issue. One fret back, no issue. Eyeballing the offending fret, it just looks like it's aligned to the finger board a wee bit different than the others. It doesn't move at all. Anyone else ever experience something like this? What was the fix?

Other than that, this guitar has no sustain "issues". That's not to say one can't make changes that'll improve sustain but it's not bad in the first place. Just my opinion.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-20-2012, 09:06 AM Thread Starter

Here's an interesting article over at thegearpage.net. There's actually quite a few articles about dead spots on various guitars both bolt on neck and set neck. Seems strats, SG's, early PRS, many other guitars can suffer from dead spots. It's a really good read from it gets you thinking standpoint.
http://www.thegearpage.net/board/sho...dead+spot+neck

And here's a more scientific look at the issue. It's very common on the G string between the 12th and 15th frets. This is all leading me to believe that there are a lot of undervalued S5470's trading hands right now...
http://www.acoustics.org/press/137th/fleischer.html

Last edited by MichelIV; 10-20-2012 at 09:11 AM.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-20-2012, 07:24 PM

Reviews: 15

Quote:
Here's an interesting article over at thegearpage.net. There's actually quite a few articles about dead spots on various guitars both bolt on neck and set neck. Seems strats, SG's, early PRS, many other guitars can suffer from dead spots. It's a really good read from it gets you thinking standpoint.
http://www.thegearpage.net/board/sho...dead+spot+neck

And here's a more scientific look at the issue. It's very common on the G string between the 12th and 15th frets. This is all leading me to believe that there are a lot of undervalued S5470's trading hands right now...
http://www.acoustics.org/press/137th/fleischer.html
Interesting reading. I noticed a dead spot when I first got my RG520 but attributed it to the pickups. I've since changed pickups, but haven't paid attention to whether or not the dead spot is still there or shifted.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-20-2012, 07:32 PM

Reviews: 2

Sweet guitar....Congrats.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-19-2013, 08:05 PM

I've had my brown s5470 since 2009 I believe it was when I bought it. Anyway, for the longest time it was my favorite guitar but the sustain problem and the dead spot on the g string drives me nuts. I read that it was probably the neodymium pickup so I changed ALL the pickups to low magnetic pull Dimarzio pickups. It sounds fantastic but didn't help at all. Since then I've bought several others and brownie just sits in the case. I take it out occasionally but I'm thinking it's gonna go on ebay. It's such a shame. The thing stays in tune always and plays SO nice but the dead spot and sustain drives me nuts.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-09-2013, 12:47 PM

What they are calling a "Super Wizard" neck isn't the original super wizard. This neck is 2mm wider than the original. The back of the neck is shaped differently too. Making it feel totally different.

Tags
s5470 titanium neck

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode