Do Ibanez guitars not accrue vintage value? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-11-2007, 05:30 AM Thread Starter

Smile Do Ibanez guitars not accrue vintage value?

I am pretty hip with Fenders and for some strange reason Fender players find great joy in finding the production dates on all of their gear. Old Fender gear (including 70's and 80's made stuff closes on **** for bizzare sums.

I was looking at the RG550 re-issue and thought I would be cool to buy one. I checked **** and the "original" ones are way cheaper than the RE-issues. Fenders often go opposite that.

I was kind of bummed because I can afford a used ibanez and do not want one. I can afford a new Fender, but don't want one.
The used Fender is out of my reach..
It's like rain on your wedding day.
Its' a free ride when you have already paid.
It's that edge pro III advice that you just didn't take...

Ah well, who would have thought or figured?

If Ibanez were backwards I'd be contented.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-11-2007, 10:46 AM

Re: Do Ibanez guitars not accrue vintage value?

well the reissues are pretty much superior due to the 5 piece neck reinforced with titanium rods. plus the old 550s are not rare by any means and are regularly on ****. if the supply is more than the demand, then the buyer doesn't have to pay exorbitant prices because it's their market. of course there are rare ibanez's that are coveted that go for silly prices, but those are usually guitars that had limited runs.
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-11-2007, 11:21 AM

The "lawsuit era" Ibanezes usually fetch some high prices.
post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-11-2007, 11:28 AM

JEM's go up in prices like every year man!
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-11-2007, 03:06 PM

The term "vintage" is often used in a misleading manner. Specifically just because its old doesnt necessarily mean its vintage.

THe biggest thing i can point is norlin era les pauls, or cbs era fenders. None bring the money of their older counterparts.
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-11-2007, 06:59 PM Thread Starter

Agreed. That is why the world of Ibanez guitars seems bizarre to me. The way it should be, but when viewed through a "Fender" glass, bizarre.
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-12-2007, 12:27 PM

it means we get awesome Ibanezezezezes for less - why are we complaining?

rg550, rg3120 - who could complain?
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-12-2007, 01:20 PM Thread Starter

No complaints.
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-12-2007, 03:04 PM

70's and 80's Artists become quite expensive if you want a good condition one....
Maybe RG's are not old/rare enough to make prices rise...

But if Ibanez carries on incrising its prices on new models uilt in Korea, I think old models will become collectables (Japanese Prestige S for exemple)
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-12-2007, 05:33 PM

Reviews: 1
Thumbs up Re: Do Ibanez guitars not accrue vintage value?

You will find that certain Ibanez guitars appreciate in value like fenders and Gibsons -

All original Jem LNG models (777 total)
All UVMC 7-strings (ATD's are worth more than the Japanese MKR's)
All Jem PMC's, GMC's (Purple.Green Multicolors)
All Jem DNA's

Each year brings a higher market value for these guitars and there are more....best to go do some research on Rich Harris's site- Ibanez Rules for current market values. Rich is probably best qualified dude you could find on this topic. In the past year we've seen UVMC's jump substantially in dollars sold - about 25% - I know because I bought one of Rich's and gladly paid the price - I know I can't lose on it.

These models have shown good increases in value and will command higher values soon:

Jem SK/VSK's (pink)
Jem VDY's (yellow vine)
Jem 10th, 90th
Jem 20th (clear)

From an investment standpoint, these guitars are poised to offer a strong return if the popularity continues - and I see no reason for that to happen in the near-term, so get out your checkbook and invest in your own future.

Last edited by jemaholic; 11-13-2007 at 11:42 PM.
post #11 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-12-2007, 06:07 PM

Please stop encouraging people to buy nice guitars and lock them away for investment

post #12 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-12-2007, 07:33 PM

Reviews: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy7jem View Post
Please stop encouraging people to buy nice guitars and lock them away for investment

You mean, so you can't get them? ;^)
post #13 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-13-2007, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scanlan75018 View Post
70's and 80's Artists become quite expensive if you want a good condition one....
Maybe RG's are not old/rare enough to make prices rise...

But if Ibanez carries on incrising its prices on new models uilt in Korea, I think old models will become collectables (Japanese Prestige S for exemple)
This is very true about the Artists. My '80 AR-300 was $415 out the door. They usually start in the 800-900 area now on the 'Bay. AS-200s from '80 usually fetch $1500 or more, and they were about $600 in '80. My FA-100 was very cheap to me, but would get twice its cost no problem as well.
I don't know if it's because they are old, or if people are simply taking a little more time spending their money these days. If I have a grand to spend, I want the most I can get for it, and if older guitars get me that then that's where I'll look. New guitars depreciate right off the bat, while used ones don't if you buy carefully.
post #14 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-13-2007, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemaholic View Post
You will find that certain Ibanez guitars appreciate in value like fenders and Gibsons
I know a few Fender and Gibson purists who would be aghast at someone saying such a thing.
post #15 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-13-2007, 07:04 PM

yeah that jem777lng will be worth a fortune in time as there were 777 made theres another jem think its 777sk only 271 made but it doesnt matter which one you buy it will never be worth any less i paid £870 for my 777vbk it will always be worth more apart from jem555 i paid £900 ill strugle to get £400 even though its still a decent tool

Tags
david mccarroll , edge pro iii , electric guitar , fender strat , fender strats , george benson , gibson les paul , gibson les pauls , ibanez guitars , ibanez models , jem dna , jem lng , jem pmc , les paul , les pauls , stanley jordan

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode