Do reverse headstocks have a function other than looking cool? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-03-2012, 12:17 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Chicago
Posts: 789
Do reverse headstocks have a function other than looking cool?

I heard someone say that because the length of strings past the nut is reversed, the tension is different for bending notes. But I would imagine this could only make a difference on non-locking nuts, because when the nut is locked down, the string length on the other side doesn't matter.
ironfistx is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-03-2012, 12:28 PM
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Colorado
Posts: 1,383
Re: Do reverse headstocks have a function other than looking cool?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironfistx View Post
I heard someone say that because the length of strings past the nut is reversed, the tension is different for bending notes. But I would imagine this could only make a difference on non-locking nuts, because when the nut is locked down, the string length on the other side doesn't matter.
That is correct, it doesn't matter.

Even with a standard nut; the length of string difference is so small, even if there is a difference in tension for bending I doubt you'll notice while playing.

I've never noticed it myself, but I have to admit: I HATE the way reverse headstocks look so I'd never buy one. Played a few, won't own one.
MicJustMic is offline  
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-03-2012, 01:38 PM
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: UK
Posts: 1,641
Re: Do reverse headstocks have a function other than looking cool?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironfistx View Post
I heard someone say that because the length of strings past the nut is reversed, the tension is different for bending notes. But I would imagine this could only make a difference on non-locking nuts, because when the nut is locked down, the string length on the other side doesn't matter.
The tension is the same, but there's more loose string to stretch, so it feels smoother.

Its also useful in getting lower strings to remain in tune under different types of attack. I was informed by Ben Crowe of CrimsonGuitars, that a reverse headstock with a fixed bridge and standard nut, is basically the only way to avoid the Low B changing pitch when struck, if your 7 string is 25.5" scale. (And I asked him specifically, "Is it possible to make a 25.5" scale 7 string where the low B doesn't rise in pitch at the attack of the note, and lower after?")
GuitarBizarre is offline  
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-03-2012, 02:07 PM
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: VA
Posts: 2,150
Re: Do reverse headstocks have a function other than looking cool?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironfistx View Post
But I would imagine this could only make a difference on non-locking nuts, because when the nut is locked down, the string length on the other side doesn't matter.
This.

No function, just aesthetics. Personally I prefer the reverse, just because it's different.
TAorama is offline  
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-03-2012, 04:53 PM
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: netherlands
Posts: 498
Re: Do reverse headstocks have a function other than looking cool?

To me it just makes more sense tuningwise.
When tuning with a reversed headstock,my arm is in a way more "natural" position when turning the pegs.
Way more confortable then positioned on the top,or even worse,both sides.

but,....I don't think they build em that way for this reason.
Death.by.G-string is offline  
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-03-2012, 09:37 PM
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: indonesia
Posts: 2,556
Re: Do reverse headstocks have a function other than looking cool?

I love it simply because of it looks.
but it's pain in the butt when it comes to changing strings...
psychoshredder is offline  
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-04-2012, 12:13 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Chicago
Posts: 789
Re: Do reverse headstocks have a function other than looking cool?

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychoshredder View Post
I love it simply because of it looks.
but it's pain in the butt when it comes to changing strings...
Why?


(message too short, please lengthen it to at least 5 characters)
ironfistx is offline  
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-04-2012, 01:05 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 9,291
Reviews: 98
Re: Do reverse headstocks have a function other than looking cool?

I've been a fan of reversed headstocks (pointy ones) ever since early 1985, when Dokken's Alone Again and Just Got Lucky videos showed George playing his Charvel "submarine" guitar.
They just look so aggressive and cool.



AlaskaBat is offline  
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-04-2012, 04:03 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Brazil
Posts: 5,010
Reviews: 64
Re: Do reverse headstocks have a function other than looking cool?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironfistx View Post
Why?


(message too short, please lengthen it to at least 5 characters)
Because some brains are too weak.
After looking to a non reverse headstock, when they look to a reverse one, they tilt, they can't process the fact something is reverse!
I saw a guy who tuning his reverse was a nightmare, his hand automatically kept trying to turn tuners as if his guitar was a non reverse, so he kept trying to turn something in the air

I always hated Ibanez reverse, jackson is killer, I can't sell my JDR-94 because of his reverse.
6fingers is offline  
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-04-2012, 05:15 AM
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Sweden
Posts: 364
Re: Do reverse headstocks have a function other than looking cool?

Reverse headstock is probably the most beautiful invention ever made by mankind. And off course it has several functions, Just can't seem to remember them right now...
B.B.A. is offline  
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-04-2012, 05:27 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 9,291
Reviews: 98
Re: Do reverse headstocks have a function other than looking cool?

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.B.A. View Post
Reverse headstock is probably the most beautiful invention ever made by mankind. And off course it has several functions, Just can't seem to remember them right now...
They look especially nice on a sparkle blue RG570...



AlaskaBat is offline  
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-04-2012, 05:27 AM
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Finland, H*LL YEAH!
Posts: 790
Re: Do reverse headstocks have a function other than looking cool?

Reversed Ibanez headstock looks really bad. Then again, ESP, Stratocaster (big headstock) and Jackson with reversed headstocks look great!
Ad_Astra is offline  
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-04-2012, 05:35 AM
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Sweden
Posts: 364
Re: Do reverse headstocks have a function other than looking cool?

Quote:
Reversed Ibanez headstock looks really bad.
I'm sorry but you're wrong.
B.B.A. is offline  
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-04-2012, 05:54 AM
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Southern California
Posts: 1,081
Reviews: 130
Re: Do reverse headstocks have a function other than looking cool?

Ibanez reverse headstocks dissolve women's underwear.
racerevlon is offline  
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-04-2012, 07:02 AM
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Daytona, FL
Posts: 1,917
Re: Do reverse headstocks have a function other than looking cool?

It's the reverse of what you would think. Without the locking nut, the low strings are easier to bend, and the high ones fell like they have more tension.

With a locking nut you could cut the headstock off, it makes no difference.
toshiro is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).



Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Not enough reverse headstocks! harsh All Other Guitars (including Prestige) 62 07-08-2014 11:41 AM
RGR - reverse headstocks & sharktooth & FIXED bridge? jd All Other Guitars (including Prestige) 2 02-18-2007 10:46 PM
Reverse Headstocks - Just for looks? aero90 All Other Guitars (including Prestige) 24 05-17-2005 04:27 AM
reverse headstocks.. BZ Beetle All Other Guitars (including Prestige) 6 11-13-2002 10:04 AM
Universes with Reverse headstock? - Whould this be cool. mojo Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models 15 04-13-2001 09:09 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome