Do unfinished guitars (a-las RGA121) sound different the those with thick lacquer? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-29-2010, 09:39 AM Thread Starter

Do unfinished guitars (a-las RGA121) sound different the those with thick lacquer?

I know, that RGA and RGT are not really "unfinished", but still, they don't feature such a thick layer of paint and laquer; in my rather limited experience they seem to bit a bit more resonant, and have a bit more "air" to the tone , so to speak.

Is it true, or am I fooled just by the lack of..umm, lack of paint and lacquer? :-)

Edit: sorry for the mangled thread title

Last edited by LowYaw; 01-27-2015 at 03:30 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-29-2010, 09:54 AM

Reviews: 3
Re: Do unfinished guitars (a-las RGA121) sound different the those with thick lacquer

In my opinion it does make a noticable difference.
post #3 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-29-2010, 10:11 AM Thread Starter

Re: Do unfinished guitars (a-las RGA121) sound different the those with thick lacquer

hey hey there are two of us
let's get more proof!
post #4 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-29-2010, 10:21 AM

no doubt about this - YES
post #5 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-29-2010, 10:22 AM

fender started painting thinner coats on their strats a while ago to let the guitars "breathe" more and sound better so i dunno. probably.
post #6 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-29-2010, 10:46 AM

Reviews: 34

I feel that unfinished/oiled guitars do sound better.

I have a paduak body that I made and it sounds extremely good.

I am going to try a soft wax finish (or whatever it's called) next on a walnut body I am working on. I may stain it blue (depending on how that looks) and then polish the wax to give as glossy a finish as poss.
post #7 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-29-2010, 11:07 AM

Reviews: 57

No finish, or a thin finish, definitely can make a guitar resonate better than a thick finish. Though, there plenty of great sounding guitars that have a thick finish too. It not just one thing or another, the tone is the sum of all the guitars parts.
post #8 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-29-2010, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickcoumbe View Post
I have a paduak body that I made and it sounds extremely good.
sure it does but it doesn't count by itself unless you make a comparison between the same body either thick-finished and unfinished (same strings etc.). that's the only way to determine if a thick poly finish would affect the volume and the tone of a guitar. and of course you have to play it unplugged and with the same strings, action, pick etc. and check with a spectrograph or some audio device of sort.
post #9 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-29-2010, 11:28 AM Thread Starter

i come to a conclusion that this can be the reason why i liked but never loved RGs prior to stumbling upon the RGT220; I attributed all the sheer liveliness and vibrancy to set-neck construction; but after getting an RGA, I do believe the paint/lacquer thing does influence tone.

i also played a Strat, which was all sanded down to wood, pre and post refinishing:
the difference is subtle, but the notes seem to sort of "spread out" in broader spectrum; the attack is livelier; and you can call me stupid, but unfinished guitars seem to sound less "modern" somehow, though I think it's a really subjective opinion.
post #10 of 42 (permalink) Old 02-09-2010, 03:43 PM

Reviews: 2

Maybe, but that doesn't seem to be the right question. The variables that affect the resonance - and hence the sound - of a guitar are many and diverse. e.g. what wood is the body made of - mahagony, swamp ash, maple, ebony, basswood ... - or the neck, or the fingerboard - and is the body one piece, or 3 or 4? And does it have a cap, and is it flat, carved or tapered like an S? Solid, hollow or semi-hollow? Is the bridge fixed or a trem? Plastic, ivory or metal nut? Set neck, bolt neck or through body? What pickups are you dealing with - 'buckers or single coils or both - PAF or Evos, noiseless or lace sensors? Are the strings light or heavy guage, coated or uncoated? Do you use a pick or your fingers? Any of those factors could, and probably will, affect the sound of the guitar more than the finish. Assuming you are talking about a solid body guitar, if the ONLY thing that you change is the finish, the unfinished version may sound marginally different from the finished version. My kid has 3 Ibanezes one oiled S5470, a PGM 301 and a Jem 77 - two thick finishes, one unfinished, and they all sound great, but all sound different from one another. Easiest, cheapest way to affect resonance is change your strings. Go to a few stores and try all the different iterations out and have a great time doing it.

Last edited by lwchafin; 02-09-2010 at 03:48 PM. Reason: Another thought occurred to me
post #11 of 42 (permalink) Old 02-11-2010, 11:39 PM

"The original Gibson Silverburst Les Paul Custom was manufactured between 1978-1985 however was famously discontinued by Gibson due to complaints about the finish flaking and altering the tone of the guitar."
saw this in an article about adam jones setup. Could be true? I can't confirm
post #12 of 42 (permalink) Old 02-12-2010, 02:12 AM

i doubt that i can hear a difference.
post #13 of 42 (permalink) Old 02-12-2010, 02:22 AM

I have tried the same body (guitar) with and without finish and it does make a difference in sound. I would not say that one is better than the other, just different (some ¨have I felt was better with finish and some without).

I think the difference is big enough that anyone who has some guitar experience (and working ears) would hear the difference.

Like someone already said, you wont hear the difference unless you A/B test the same guitar with and without.

/Magnus
post #14 of 42 (permalink) Old 02-14-2010, 07:52 PM

Yeah I reckon it does affect the tone, but is not the ultimate decider. I've got an RG321BKF and S320WK and they both breathe nicely, according to my senses.
post #15 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-06-2015, 09:42 AM

Let me help here: I once got an Ibanez s320wk with SD JB in bridge. Got such a good sound that I always wanted to go back to it after selling the guitar. It sounded perfectly like a Gibson SG on all SG recorded songs such as AC/DC, Black Sabbath ones. It had resonance and crunchy riffige that made me do all kinds of r'n'roll faces while playing.

After an RG 2550z prestige with evos that sounded too Vai like (great for solo, no riffage material), I managed to get an Ibanez S1625tks, put the same JB Jazz pups...but nothing Ok...some balls and crunch, but not that aggressive as the 320wk. Of course, the guitar is better built and sounds cleaner on each fret, but the balls are out.

I blame it on the lacquer.

Tags
finish , rga , rgt

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode