Do you own any guitars that are increasing in value? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-06-2014, 05:01 PM Thread Starter

Do you own any guitars that are increasing in value?

obviously all guitars diminish in value to a certain point when we buy them new.

However, for some guitars they start increasing in value and almost become more 'collector' items. Do you own any Ibanez's that you don't play much because they've become collector guitars?

I bought an '88 540r last December. The guy selling it was trying to charge a premium because it was a 'collector' guitar. I didn't agree, but did end up buying it and am very glad I did because I haven't seen a jewel blue 540r like it in such fantastic shape since.

What Ibanez's are the most 'collectable' at this point?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-06-2014, 05:42 PM

Reviews: 6
Re: Do you own any guitars that are increasing in value?

probably jems and certain j customs...the rest i dunno...d.m.
post #3 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-06-2014, 06:21 PM

Reviews: 21

My RG550 20th is the only one I think that's retained its value somewhat. Mine's a player and has been gigged many times so that's a strike against it.
My RG1570 in Mirage Red seems to do fairly well too but I don't think either has increased in value; just stayed about the same.
I don't own one but one on my GAS list is the original RGA's, either the Prestige 121's or the 321's when they had passive pickups and the Gibraltar Plus bridge; before they were bastardized and made cheap with trems and active pickups. The ones I see on ebay actually seem to gain value.
post #4 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-06-2014, 08:31 PM

I have 1! But it is not an Ibby. I bought my Charvel Model 6 back in '98 for $400. They seem to go in the 7-800 range on the Bay. Adjusted for inflation I think it is now worth more than i paid (but just barely)!
post #5 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-06-2014, 08:57 PM

Probably my PWH, but I bought it in player/beater condition, so I don't give a **** about playing it - in fact, I sold a CST because it was gathering dust next to my PWH because I was too afraid to hurt the thing, while the PWH I wasn't so I just felt more comfortable onit. These days it's relegated to backup behind my Suhr, but I absolutely have no problem abusing the thing when I do play it, and it's a very different sounding guitar - less refined, more raw and growly.

I don't know if it's increasing in value - probably a little, but I also don't plan on selling it.
post #6 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-06-2014, 09:00 PM

Reviews: 1

None of mine I think.
My Les Paul has a repaired headstock and my Ibbys are players my Strat is a FrankenStrat. Maybe the old Lyle guitar I have might increase a couple bucks over what I paid but that's about it.
The only way my guitars are getting worth more is if I become famous which is highly unlikely at this point
post #7 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-06-2014, 09:11 PM

Maybe not a lot of value in Japan, but if I wanted to sell my new RG685 or even my 1990 560PN, I'm sure I could get more than I what I paid for here. Why? Because of these 2 reasons:

1. The 685 was never released outside Japan and I'm sure just about anyone here, if they could add it to their collection, would do so in a heartbeat.

2. The 560 is 1990. They didn't make PN outside Japan until 91. Another Japan only guitar.
post #8 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-06-2014, 09:44 PM

To answer your question - no.

But to me they ARE increasing in value to me, as I become more attached to them. ^ ^
post #9 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-06-2014, 10:36 PM

I've got a stock 1987 rg550 in a spot run color called "violet pearl." It has some dings but is in good shape. I know I will never retire off of it, but it is not going to loose any value.
post #10 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-06-2014, 10:47 PM

Reviews: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jer3d View Post
To answer your question - no.

But to me they ARE increasing in value to me, as I become more attached to them. ^ ^
Same here, funny how a pile of wood metal and plastic can evoke those emotions eh
post #11 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-07-2014, 06:28 AM

Most Ibanez guitars go down in value after the they are bought new.
Swirls have gone up and the VSK, LNG, SK, BFP and maybe the 10th Anv.
post #12 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-07-2014, 07:09 AM

Some of mine are definitely increasing in value (Jems, RBM2), some are either holding steady or are increasing slowly and there's probably a couple that aren't worth what I paid for 'em. But most of what I have was 25 years old when I bought it, so the new guitar price hit doesn't really apply. I've definitely made money buying and selling guitars. Not a lot, probably two grand or so. My biggest profit was a J.Custom that I made about a grand on in a little over a year, even with all the eBay fees factored in. I know I could turn some significant loot if I decided to part with my LNG or GMC.
post #13 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-07-2014, 07:58 AM

Teuffel & Blackmachine.
post #14 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-07-2014, 08:12 AM

I was hoping that my Jem (FP2) would increase in value but I'm gonna have to wait a thousand years for that to happen. Wasn't my motivator for saving up and buying one anyway - just wanted a Jem for since I was a kid...

My acoustic, a Cole Clark FL3, will maybe increase in value a little (still decent money) as it came from a good year and before the management change. Not significant numbers in the grand scheme i imagine and, again, it's not hugely important to me - I'm lucky to have it and it's just the best sounding acoustic I've ever played and wouldn't be without it.

Got to be way more insightful (and richer) than me to make big money in this game I think...
post #15 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-07-2014, 09:32 AM

Making "big money" buying and selling guitars is really tough to do. This topic was beaten to death elsewhere. If you want to make money, don't do it by buying and selling collectibles.

I think the question was simply are any of your guitars increasing in value. If you want to buy one really nice, brand new guitar, then buy it and don't worry that you can't resell it at a profit. If you want to buy and sell a significant number of guitars, then simply breaking even should be your goal. There are definitely people on this site who churn through guitars and take small but not insignificant losses on every one of them. That adds up over time.

Tags
vintage guitars

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode