Does anyone else NOT like the Ibanez quilted tops? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-01-2013, 06:01 AM Thread Starter

Does anyone else NOT like the Ibanez quilted tops?

Hi,

I have a couple of PRS guitars with quilted tops, and I really like them. The design and the way they show the grain etc is glorious. Note that these are the Korean 'SE' versions.

However, I am having a hard time liking the Ibanez equivalents (e.g. RG870). In photos they don't look too bad at all, but I've seen several examples in person and been disappointed. Something just doesn't seem quite right about them.

Is it just me?!

In terms of taste, I'm currently eyeing up an RG1XXV though
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-01-2013, 07:36 AM

Re: Does anyone else NOT like the Ibanez quilted tops?

+1, premium tops seem to be figurative only...
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-01-2013, 09:27 AM

Well for starters, the Premium is just a veneer, which limits your finishing options.

But in general you're right, and the reason is the way that Ibanez does transparent finishes compared with the "right/best" way to do it. The right way to do it is to start with a very dark dye that you flood on quickly and then quickly wipe off. Then you sand this back and only the more porous parts of the wood will retain the dye. This is where you get the very high contrast from in flame and quilt maple. Then you follow with a color dye, then clear. You may have seen this referred to as a three-stage finish.

Ibanez trans finishes on the other hand are often single-stage. It's just transparent stain (not dye) right over the wood. You just won't get the same depth in a figured top that way, but it's much quicker to do.
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-01-2013, 10:24 AM

Reviews: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takin' a Ride View Post
, but it's much quicker to do.
And cheaper.
Premium quilt tops aren't bad but, yeah, I've seen better at that price point.
If Premiums are the wave of the future I wish they'd do solid colors on a stock non-sig model; and I don't count black as a solid color. The only solid colors have been the Jem70SFG, The RG1XXV's, the JS24PCA, and the Laser Blue RG870 that was only available in Europe.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-01-2013, 11:00 AM

Reviews: 6

+1 for RG1XXV, I also dislike the Premium Lineup of quilted top. Even the PRS SE lineup somehow look better.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-01-2013, 01:21 PM

Nope not a fan of the Premium quilts at all...
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-02-2013, 04:03 AM

Reviews: 15

I like quilts but for some reason the Premium version just isn't cutting the mustard for me. If anything, I'd like to see a spalted maple veneer or some other exotic wood veneer just to change it up.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-02-2013, 01:38 PM

I've always thought that Ibanez guitars (RG and S styles at least) look much better in solid/metallic colors. Never been a fan of transparent finishes on RGs.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-02-2013, 03:06 PM

+1 takin a ride

ibanez tops can seem"gritty" up close
i have seen gios at the store that look better than the expensive counterparts
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-02-2013, 06:56 PM

I don't like them. For me, part of what defines an Ibanez is the solid finish...just like I wouldn't buy a black, white, or gold Gibson. Quilted tops take away from the edginess, and when I think Ibanez, I think aggressive.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-03-2013, 05:14 AM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

I have to say I like the fact that Ibanez do offer a host fo different colours in their premium veneer tops, but i'd like to have seen a similar range of solid colours as well. However, I reckon that the "figured maple" craze is deeply ingrained (pardon the pun) in the guitar buying public's psyche as a mark of a high end instrument. To establish the Premium line as a level above a standard Indonesian Ibanez, I can see why Hoshino decided to have a lot of them avaialble with quilt tops.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-03-2013, 10:47 AM

Most of Ibanez quilts I don't like, especially the new TAM100, that things looks nice but the quilt just kind of ruins it to me.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-04-2013, 01:32 PM

Depends on the guitar. It's like fingerprinters really. No two alike even with a veneer.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode