Does anyone understand the hype of EBMM Petrucci guitars? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 42 (permalink) Old 11-18-2002, 01:46 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 2
Does anyone understand the hype of EBMM Petrucci guitars?

the guitar is a standard high quality guitar with not very appealing aesthetics, limited upper fret neck access, and a terrible trem...other than it being one of the few 7 strings with piezos on the market, why are they so sought after and expensive?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 (permalink) Old 11-18-2002, 01:51 PM

I got my 6 -string model last May, and have used it at every gig I've played since (probably around 50 or so). Unless you've owned one and have used it regularly, I don't think you can really be qualified to comment on the quality of the tremolo or overall quality of the guitar. It's a great guitar. Do a Forum search, and you'll find a few other threads on this same topic.
post #3 of 42 (permalink) Old 11-18-2002, 02:04 PM Thread Starter

well ive played them, and im qualified to ask a question which still remains unreplied to, thanks though
post #4 of 42 (permalink) Old 11-18-2002, 02:30 PM

Recently I got to play one in a Guitar Center and my first thought was how much better it looked in person than it did on their website. My second thought was how great it played. My friend was not impressed, but for whatever reason I really, really enjoyed it. The neck and fretboard seemed just easy to play on, for me at least (it was the 6 string guitar).

I'd really like to own a 6string Petrucci with the piezos, unfortunately at the price it's quite an investment (and competes with a number of other very drool-worthy guitars).
post #5 of 42 (permalink) Old 11-18-2002, 02:46 PM

Re: Does anyone understand the hype of EBMM Petrucci guitars

Quote:
Originally Posted by WYLD STALLYNS
the guitar is a standard high quality guitar with not very appealing aesthetics, limited upper fret neck access, and a terrible trem...other than it being one of the few 7 strings with piezos on the market, why are they so sought after and expensive?
1) "the guitar is a standard high quality guitar"

Sorry, but high quality isn't really a standard. It's more of an exception these days.

2) "not very appealing aesthetics"

The exact same thing that a lot of people say about JEMs, UVs, JS', etc. Same with PRS, and any other guitar made. Aesthetics all come down to personal preferences and can't be considered "hype".

3) "limited upper fret neck access"

The only way to get better access would be to have a neck-through. When put side-by-side with any of my all-access neck joint Ibanez models, I can't fell much of a difference.

4) "and a terrible trem"

100% pure opinion. If you know how to use it, it's a great trem. It has it's limitations, but so does any locking trem system that you compare it to. It's more stable than a Strat-style trem, but doesn't have quite the range of motiong as a LoPro. In essence, it does exactly as it was designed to do. Last I checked, it was the John Petrucci signature model, which means that it's designed to HIS specs, not yours. The tremolo does precisely what HE wants it to. That's really all that matters.

You've played one? Where? Guitar Center? Have you spent hours with it with the piezos running through a PA and the DiMarzios through a great tube amp? How many gigs have you played with one? Do you OWN one? Sorry, but it's not possible to get a perfect overall impression of a guitar from noodling around on it in a store.

If you don't like the guitar, don't buy one. As I said, this has been discussed at great length in previous posts. Try searching the Forum and save some bandwidth.
post #6 of 42 (permalink) Old 11-18-2002, 03:01 PM

I don't think they've really been "hyped" all that much. Probably only a small minority of players know or care about its existence.

I played a totally basic 6-string model (unplugged) and was very impressed. It was incredibly resonant, had a sweet neck (though the 6-string felt a little too narrow for my hands) and the hardware, ergonomics and fit-and-finish were top-notch all around.

They are sought after because they're so scarce. They are expensive for the same reason. Plus, you can have them made to order. Ever tried to get an Ibanez made to order? Right.

Most EB/MM models are pretty hard to get (and expensive), because they still do a LOT of hand-finishing on them, and they refuse to compromise on quality to speed up production. Supply and demand.

Every EB/MM guitar i've seen has material and finish quality that shames almost any other production or boutique bolt-on instrument i've played. They really are on a par with the best guitars in that category. The Petrucci model shines because in addition to the EB/MM quality, it also has some innovations and careful thought that went into its design, such as the forearm carve and totally smooth bridge/saddle design.

Personally, i think it's a great guitar, but there are parts of it that don't suit my preferences. But i can appreciate it for what it is.
post #7 of 42 (permalink) Old 11-18-2002, 03:10 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
i don't see any substantive HYPE for the axe either. I mean, the guitars have shipped many months ago and conversation is minimal about it. They're already trickling into the used market, which will adjust pricing.

EB/MM are fine guitars for what they are... a bit pricy for my tastes and not my cup of coffee... but i don't see a reason to take shots at them ...glen
post #8 of 42 (permalink) Old 11-18-2002, 06:40 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by darren wilson
They are sought after because they're so scarce. They are expensive for the same reason. Plus, you can have them made to order.Most EB/MM models are pretty hard to get (and expensive), because they still do a LOT of hand-finishing on them, and they refuse to compromise on quality to speed up production. Supply and demand.
thanks. that was an answer which is what i was looking for. i wasnt puttin them down glen, i was wondering why they are so expensive which is what darren had said. and i didnt ask for a play by play commentary on what I said vaijem, u just keep missing the point of this thread.
post #9 of 42 (permalink) Old 11-18-2002, 06:51 PM

There was a point? Sorry, I couldn't see it since it was obscured by the pointless opinions of the finish and tremolo. Why's it matter if you think there is "hype" behind a guitar? If you don't like the way it looks or plays anyway, why waste everybody's time with asking about it? There is plenty of input and commentary elsewhere on the site that would have been perfectly sufficient to answer any questions you might have had...if you were willing to actually do a search.

They're expensive for the same reasons JEMs or any other guitar are: that's what the manufacturer wants to charge. Obviously, that's what players are willing to pay as well. The EB/MM JPM's aren't any more expensive than a new JEM, but they're actually 100% USA made, which to some people makes for a better value. It's a no-brainer. Why is ANY guitar expensive or sought after? It's called supply & demand.

As for the play-by-play...I was simply illustrating the many flaws in your poorly-formed opinions of the guitar. I guess I've just got a thing for not making statements without an actual foundation to base them on. It helps to clarify things a bit when trying to make a point as well, instead of simply making rash judgemental statements.
post #10 of 42 (permalink) Old 11-18-2002, 07:53 PM

Personally I would not own one. A while back I was looking for a new guitar and I narrowed it down to an EBMM JPM and a RG3120. The 3120 won for a few reasons. I was getting a heck of a deal ($850 new with UV case) on it. But also I didn't like the neck on the JPM. I also think the JPM's aren't worht as much as I have seen them costing. That is just my opinion though. So I agree with you WYLD STALLYNS.
post #11 of 42 (permalink) Old 11-18-2002, 10:12 PM

I guess the mm/jpm would be for some people but I would not think that it would be for the typical Jem/Rg guy. The trem. really turned me off not to mention the rest. To each his own...as for me...pointless.
post #12 of 42 (permalink) Old 11-18-2002, 10:41 PM

I owned one for a short time - six string version. And I can say that the build quality was as high as any guitar I've ever owned, and better than some "custom shop" guitars that I regularly see in the market.
For some reason though, I just didn't connect with that guitar. It looked great, played great (REALLY thin neck though) and had a useful, if not extreme, trem system.
It was almost TOO GOOD if that makes any sense - too much like a tool and not enough charisma. But again, that's just one users opinion - they are excellent guitars.......
post #13 of 42 (permalink) Old 11-19-2002, 12:04 AM
EKG

I have to go check one of these out this weekend. I have always been impressed with EB's craftsmanship. I LOVED the EVH models of years ago (building a replica as we speak ;-) ). I think they look good, and I have heard good and bad things about them. I don't know what the going rate ($) is either. Looks like I have to make a run down to the local Guitar "Depot" ;-)
post #14 of 42 (permalink) Old 11-19-2002, 04:11 AM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1
The forearm contour is, I believe the bane of that guitar. You either love it or you hate it.

Personally I hate it, my playing style is a bit different to Petrucci's I guess and my forearm rubs on the "join" of the contour and the rest of the body. I'm sure that there are other freaks like me out there and I'm sure this will have had a negative impact on sales. Guitarists are notoriously slow to adopt new innovations and I reckon this might be one of them, despite the number of folks here who seem to love it.

The smoothed off saddles idea is brilliant. The smooth feel of the Edge trem is one of the reasons I love it so much and the EB/MM JP trem has the same idea of minimising the "hurty" bits in contact with the fleshy bits of my hand

I think there's a lot of hype that surrounds most new instruments from someone's favourite player. But only in that immediate vicinity. about 10 years ago I was doing quite well in a local band and we were gigging regularly. I met an old school friend who also played guitar in bands. When we got round to the topic of gear I mentioned I was playing a JEM. He just couldn't understand why I wasn't using the new N4 from Washburn it had this, it had that it had.. basically it came down to the fact that his favourite player designed it and this old friend of mine was creating his own hype around it.

Over here Petrucci has an almost "religious" following and folks who worship him have built the guitar up to be the single greatest revolution since the Telecaster. To most folks it's just another superstrat with a funny arm-scoop and lots of pretty colours. Though I must admit I do love some of the colours it comes in and I'd find room for some more guitars if the ones I liked were available in those shades
post #15 of 42 (permalink) Old 11-19-2002, 08:47 AM

Yeah, I thought the Mystic Dream finish looked really nice on that guitar.

Tags
access neck joint , birdseye maple neck , bridge pickup , custom shop , darren wilson , ebmm jpm , edge trem , edge trems , ernie ball , fret access , fret markers , fret neck , ibanez models , ibanez neck , ibanez necks , ibanez roadstar , jem vwh , john petrucci , lava pearl , les paul , magnetic pickups , maple neck , marshall amp , mesa rectifier , neck joint , neck pickup , petrucci model , playing guitar , steve morse , tube amp , upper fret , upper fret access

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode