Does Dimarzio make the V7/V8 pups? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-23-2003, 10:23 PM Thread Starter

Does Dimarzio make the V7/V8 pups?

I read one a few websites and eBay auctions selling the RGs with V7 and V8 pickups stating that they were made or designed by Dimarzio...

is this true? I kind of believe it because they are better sounding than the Ibanez powersounds, and better sounding than just about any other stock pickup on lower-priced axes

just curious as to if the statement that Dimarzio designed the pickups is true or not...

It doesn't really matter to me anyway--some duncans, dimarzios, or emgs are going in my RG anyway (can't decide right now)

and btw sorry for posting this in two sections, just didn't know which section this truly belongs in
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-24-2003, 01:03 AM

They were apparently designed with Ibanez and DiMarzio together. I have no idea what this means, but I can take a guess:

Ibanez employee, on phone: "hullo, is this one of the Dimarzio techs?"
Dimarzio tech: "yeah. What can I do for you?"
Ibanez employee: "to make a pickup I gotta wrap some wire around a magnet, right?"
DT: "yeah, but-"
IE: "click!"
DT: "He hung up. Wonder what that was about..."

All of the characters in the preceding drama are fictional. Any similarities to actual characters or pickups, living or dead, is purely coincidental.
Old 10-24-2003, 01:13 AM Thread Starter

LOL

but still, they DO sound better than those powersounds, and most stock pickups....

the duncan designed ones are better sounding, but just curious if dimarzio had anything to do with these pickups
Old 10-24-2003, 01:24 AM

V's are not made by DiMarzio. The confusion may be because Dimarzio makes the DiMarzio/IBZ pickups to Ibanez spec.

The Duncan Design pu's are made by generic companies to Duncan Spec.
Old 10-24-2003, 12:01 PM
x2n

omg

Hey,
Thats the funniest stuff I ever saw Mehyam.......Seriously....Anyways, hey Ibanez convert have you been floating around the Esp message board? Thtas where I had heard this...
Old 10-24-2003, 05:38 PM

lol

brilliant

as you mention it, how do pickups actually work? (ie the physics behind it)

never really got that
Old 10-24-2003, 07:34 PM Thread Starter

Re: omg

Quote:
Originally Posted by x2n
Hey,
Thats the funniest stuff I ever saw Mehyam.......Seriously....Anyways, hey Ibanez convert have you been floating around the Esp message board? Thtas where I had heard this...
Nope, never been to the ESP forums...

and pickups get the sound waves and send them as an electric signal to your amp...or something to that nature...

wait so whilest Dimarzio doesn't make the pickups themselves, did they have any say in the design?
Old 10-24-2003, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murray
lol

brilliant

never really got that
They're effectively a form of electromagnet. The vibrations of the strings affect the magnetic field of the pickup, and the pickup puts out a small amount of power in the same frequency of the vibrations. It's kinda like a microphone, with the strings being the diaphragm.
Old 10-24-2003, 09:11 PM

and how does it interect with the wood, making a pickup sound different in mahog and alder for example?!
is it like a thicker wood will give less "spaced" vibrations thus a fatter/rounder tone?
Old 10-24-2003, 11:19 PM

The body, neck, fretboard, and hardware affects the way the string vibrates. This is what's transfered to the pickup.

The body resonation could move, or vibrate, the pickup on it's mount slightly, also changing the sound, or giving you more perceived sustain..
Old 10-26-2003, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murray

never really got that
It's just an indcutor. Well, 6 inductors. It's basically, just a bunch of wire wrapped around a magnet. The string acts as a magnet, and when it changes it's distance from the magnet in the pickup (ie. When the string is plucked), the flux of the magnetic field through the coil of wires changes. That produces a current in the coiled wires which, eventually connects to the amplifier.
Old 10-27-2003, 12:02 PM
x2n

hmm

Hey,
Ok well basically pickups are magnets that cost about 60-200$...plain ridiculous....
Old 10-27-2003, 04:52 PM

if the srting were to affect the magnetic field of the magets, surley they would need to have a magnetic field themselves. the only way i can think of doing this would be to pass a current through the string.

could this be why the picups are ground to the bridge?

Old 10-28-2003, 02:47 AM

The way I understand it:

Even 'pure nickel' strings have a steel core under the windings. Steel = magnetic. It does take some serious motion to get the field moving enough to create sound, otherwise you could wave a screw-driver in front of the pickups and get output.

EMGs don't use a bridge ground at all, and still pick up the string through a magnetic field.

This is why you don't put a magnetic pickup on a nylon string guitar.

There's no hot signal running through your guitar strings from the bridge ground. Though, it will conduct electricity if given the chance(remember that the next time you play in a club with seriously bad wiring, it can kill you).
Old 10-28-2003, 09:20 AM

thx

nickle itself is magnetic so there may not be a steel core to the strings

Tags
duncan designed

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in