Does the Vine Inlay spoil contemporary J-Customs for you? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

 2Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 86 (permalink) Old 10-12-2012, 11:11 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Russia
Posts: 83
Thumbs down Does the Vine Inlay spoil contemporary J-Customs for you?

It does for me absolutely. Haven't cared for them for years because of this awful Vine Inlay in all of them. It may be good looking (debatable), if you intend to hang it on a wall, but if you want to play, it's grossly out of place, misleading and overall crap.

And Ibanez doesn't even bother to give us a choice. Shame on them.
http://www.ibanez.co.jp/products/jcustom.html
mrpanoff is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 86 (permalink) Old 10-13-2012, 12:13 AM
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Missoula, MT
Posts: 347
Re: Does the Vine Inlay spoil contemporary J-Customs for you?

I think it's rather classy, and it's a nice feature that isn't available on lower end models.
eddyrox likes this.
Saxopwn is offline  
post #3 of 86 (permalink) Old 10-13-2012, 08:48 AM
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 797
Re: Does the Vine Inlay spoil contemporary J-Customs for you?

Remember, everyone has their preferences. Every time I open the case for one of my J Customs to show a friend it's like "Wow....that is a piece of artwork!"

To each his/her own....personally, I love the vines and the way they look. Then again, 4 of my 5 guitars have it (2 J Customs/2 Jem). Strangely enough, the 7 string without the vine is the one that looks out of place.

But yes....a choice would be good for anyone because not everyone likes the same thing and that is what makes us all different, thankfully.
eddyrox likes this.
PBGas is offline  
post #4 of 86 (permalink) Old 10-13-2012, 09:29 AM
Super Moderator
 
jono's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: England
Posts: 7,112
Reviews: 1
Re: Does the Vine Inlay spoil contemporary J-Customs for you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpanoff View Post
It does for me absolutely. if you want to play, it's grossly out of place, misleading and overall crap.

And Ibanez doesn't even bother to give us a choice. Shame on them.
http://www.ibanez.co.jp/products/jcustom.html
If you're still at the stage where you find a vine inlay is "misleading", you might prefer the "Premium series"...

I do think it can be a bit much, seeing as it's on pretty much every J-Custom I can rememeber in recent times, but it's a bit over the top to say it's "overall crap"...
jono is offline  
post #5 of 86 (permalink) Old 10-13-2012, 09:55 AM
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: MI USA
Posts: 451
Reviews: 2
Re: Does the Vine Inlay spoil contemporary J-Customs for you?

I like the vine design on my Jems a lot better, and although I don't own a J Custom, my two cent opinion is that it might come off to some people as trying to copy the Jem rather than being something totally unique.
That's not to say that I don't find the J customs absolutely stunning, and I sure wouldn't turn one down.
lynchfan6 is offline  
post #6 of 86 (permalink) Old 10-13-2012, 01:00 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Russia
Posts: 83
Re: Does the Vine Inlay spoil contemporary J-Customs for you?

Yes, choice is the key. And Ibanez don't want to see it point-blank.

2 jono I don't think it has anything to do with "stages" as it has with personal perception and preferences.

By the way, can you imagine having one of those vines all over a violin fingerboard? All over the keys on a grand piano? Wouldn't it be disgusting?

And yes, they copied it from Vai it seems, although his is quite different and less obtrusive. Why wouldn't they put his "hand grip" on all J-customs as well then, it's oh-so-classy. They could even make it a couple of times larger to give it even more "class". Having said that, I'm grateful to Vai for inventing and popularising 7-strings.

PS: there's a thread in "Comments to Ibanez":
http://www.jemsite.com/forums/f22/pe...om-117833.html

Chances are Ibanez staff are perusing this site from time to time, so let's hope we'll get a choice at some point.
mrpanoff is offline  
post #7 of 86 (permalink) Old 10-13-2012, 01:37 PM
Super Moderator
 
jono's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: England
Posts: 7,112
Reviews: 1
Thumbs down Re: Does the Vine Inlay spoil contemporary J-Customs for you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpanoff View Post
Yes, choice is the key. And Ibanez don't want to see it point-blank.

2 jono I don't think it has anything to do with "stages" as it has with personal perception and preferences.

By the way, can you imagine having one of those vines all over a violin fingerboard? All over the keys on a grand piano? Wouldn't it be disgusting?

And yes, they copied it from Vai it seems, although his is quite different and less obtrusive. Why wouldn't they put his "hand grip" on all J-customs as well then, it's oh-so-classy. They could even make it a couple of times larger to give it even more "class". Having said that, I'm grateful to Vai for inventing and popularising 7-strings.

PS: there's a thread in "Comments to Ibanez":
http://www.jemsite.com/forums/f22/pe...om-117833.html

Chances are Ibanez staff are perusing this site from time to time, so let's hope we'll get a choice at some point.

Just, "oh dear"...
jono is offline  
post #8 of 86 (permalink) Old 10-13-2012, 01:54 PM
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Sweden
Posts: 89
Re: Does the Vine Inlay spoil contemporary J-Customs for you?

http://www.ibanez.co.jp/anniversary/...at_id=46&now=2

Check the artwood twin ro the right. They didn't take it from Vai it was around even before Vai... it's from the 78 Catalogue.

I think it quite simply the way have med with their series right now (regarding the RG)

the standard RGs have sharkfins or dots

Premiums have offset dots

15xx have small dots

25xx Have ghost sharks

35xx small dots or sharks and ofcourse there is some specials

and of course the j custom which have the tree of life


Choose after that and then you will see that you have many choiches
Eskil is offline  
post #9 of 86 (permalink) Old 10-13-2012, 02:00 PM
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Sao Paulo
Posts: 508
Re: Does the Vine Inlay spoil contemporary J-Customs for you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpanoff View Post
[LEFT]It does for me absolutely. Haven't cared for them for years because of this awful Vine Inlay in all of them.
I think regular and off-set inlays are just too simple now and I can't live without my Jem or my JC. Besides all that, ebony and dark rosewood (Jem and JC respectively) make average rosewood boards look like a chocolate bar.
tearsx is offline  
post #10 of 86 (permalink) Old 10-13-2012, 02:38 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Russia
Posts: 83
Re: Does the Vine Inlay spoil contemporary J-Customs for you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eskil View Post
http://www.ibanez.co.jp/anniversary/...at_id=46&now=2

Check the artwood twin ro the right. They didn't take it from Vai it was around even before Vai... it's from the 78 Catalogue.

I think it quite simply the way have med with their series right now (regarding the RG)

the standard RGs have sharkfins or dots

Premiums have offset dots

15xx have small dots

25xx Have ghost sharks

35xx small dots or sharks and ofcourse there is some specials

and of course the j custom which have the tree of life


Choose after that and then you will see that you have many choiches
Thanks for the info.

I have to disagree as to many choices. Once you've tasted J.Custom you won't care about Prestiges and lower end models.
mrpanoff is offline  
post #11 of 86 (permalink) Old 10-13-2012, 02:39 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Russia
Posts: 83
Re: Does the Vine Inlay spoil contemporary J-Customs for you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tearsx View Post
I think regular and off-set inlays are just too simple now and I can't live without my Jem or my JC. Besides all that, ebony and dark rosewood (Jem and JC respectively) make average rosewood boards look like a chocolate bar.
I heard they tend to dye rosewood on J.Customs to make it look darker, not sure if it's true or it's just more expensive species.
mrpanoff is offline  
post #12 of 86 (permalink) Old 10-13-2012, 02:45 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Russia
Posts: 83
Re: Does the Vine Inlay spoil contemporary J-Customs for you?

BTW notice how closely MC-400 resembles Carvin's DC-400. Hardly a coincidence.
mrpanoff is offline  
post #13 of 86 (permalink) Old 10-13-2012, 04:37 PM
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Canada
Posts: 19
Re: Does the Vine Inlay spoil contemporary J-Customs for you?

The vine should be left on the Vai Jems. Forget about carrying it across different lines of guitars. Come up with something else original.
LastRide is offline  
post #14 of 86 (permalink) Old 10-13-2012, 05:55 PM
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: The FTL, Florida
Posts: 4,398
Reviews: 21
Re: Does the Vine Inlay spoil contemporary J-Customs for you?

Yes, vine inlays were around WAY before Steve Vai! I honestly like them. I wish the JC's would come in something other than quilts. (not that I could afford one now anyway)
My favorite JC's are still the paints.
mike570 is offline  
post #15 of 86 (permalink) Old 10-13-2012, 05:56 PM
 
metalhead52's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Omaha,NE
Posts: 792
Reviews: 1
Re: Does the Vine Inlay spoil contemporary J-Customs for you?

Vine inlays have been around long before the JEM. Many makers, big and small, have used them. Vai liked the look and it became a prominent feature on the JEM. I like the look and think the mother-of-pearl inlay is just pure class and screams top end like the MOP sharkfins on the high end Jacksons.
metalhead52 is offline  
Reply

Tags
vine inlay j-custom

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).



Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Are there any J-Customs without the vine inlay? LowYaw All Other Guitars (including Prestige) 5 03-16-2009 05:24 AM
Pyramid or Vine Inlay ninjasuz Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models 5 01-11-2008 03:57 AM
VIne INlay jemjr All Other Guitars (including Prestige) 17 03-13-2007 01:42 PM
Origins of the Vine Inlay - were did the vine come from wireman24 Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models 10 01-28-2002 03:39 PM
Two J-Customs w/ Vine Inlays - They look a lot like some of cmartin All Other Guitars (including Prestige) 13 11-30-2001 04:40 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome