Does wood grain pattern matter? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-20-2012, 01:27 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Chicago
Posts: 789
Does wood grain pattern matter?

Assuming two guitars made out of the same wood, does the grain pattern matter?

Consider these two (same model and color, just different lighting makes the look different colors):



The one on the left looks almost swirled, the one on the right has much more uniform/parallel grain.

Do you think that would make a difference at all in tone?

The material is Ash if that matters.
ironfistx is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-20-2012, 01:38 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 9,291
Reviews: 98
Re: Does wood grain pattern matter?

Yeah--the tone follows the grain. So, if there's a complex pattern, the tone gets bottled up around corners and ends.


LOL--just kidding.

Same wood with different patterns will still have about the same characteristics.



AlaskaBat is offline  
post #3 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-20-2012, 01:59 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Brazil
Posts: 5,010
Reviews: 64
Re: Does wood grain pattern matter?

Of course it'll affect tone.
Left = metal
Right = jazz

And never.................NEVER try to play emo stuff with them unless Damien is with you

Last edited by 6fingers; 04-20-2012 at 02:23 AM.
6fingers is offline  
post #4 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-20-2012, 02:36 AM
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Trondheim, Norway
Posts: 3,614
Re: Does wood grain pattern matter?

Different density = different sonic qualities. I don't think anyone can look at a picture and say which one you would like best, or if you would notice any difference at all. This is exactly the reason why you want to play several of the same model before buying one, because there are minor differences in weight, tone and evidently looks.
The Euphor is offline  
post #5 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-20-2012, 02:54 AM
 
IbanezFreak777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 4,163
Reviews: 25
Re: Does wood grain pattern matter?

I have yet to find a guitar that wont play because of its wood grain...

They all play... try before buy, if you can and then get onto the more important stuff....

PLAYING !!
IbanezFreak777 is offline  
post #6 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-20-2012, 02:58 AM
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Victoria - BC, Canada
Posts: 666
Reviews: 6
Re: Does wood grain pattern matter?

It does matter. I say this because through an extensive amount of tests, you could prove that either one of these is more predisposed to produce specific tones. I can't tell just by looking, but one may be more dense and produce more natural trebles than the other. However, the difference may be so small at times that the average person can't really sound the difference between, no less thru an amp. I wouldn't be too worried about it. The biggest difference you'll notice will be an unfinished guitar versus a painted guitar. Layers of paint and clearcoat will affect tone and actually hinder it. That said, none of that means that's neccesarily bad, but some people are just into unfinished guitars because they are just naturally warmer, especially mahogany for example.

I wouldn't worry about it too much, unless you've been craving for a certain tone for 40 years of your life and you've played everything along the way and you're still not satisfied.
Fender868 is offline  
post #7 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-20-2012, 03:16 AM
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: indonesia
Posts: 2,556
Re: Does wood grain pattern matter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fender868 View Post
The biggest difference you'll notice will be an unfinished guitar versus a painted guitar. Layers of paint and clearcoat will affect tone and actually hinder it. That said, none of that means that's neccesarily bad, but some people are just into unfinished guitars because they are just naturally warmer, especially mahogany for example.
that's what I'd like to know more. unfinished vs painted.
what do you think about unfinished ash vs painted ?
I want to kill some treble, which one is better?
psychoshredder is offline  
post #8 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-20-2012, 03:40 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 9,291
Reviews: 98
Re: Does wood grain pattern matter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychoshredder View Post
that's what I'd like to know more. unfinished vs painted.
what do you think about unfinished ash vs painted ?
I want to kill some treble, which one is better?
A tone knob.



AlaskaBat is offline  
post #9 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-20-2012, 03:48 AM
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: indonesia
Posts: 2,556
Re: Does wood grain pattern matter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaBat View Post
A tone knob.
thanks for the answer, but it's not helping.
i want to kill a little natural brightnes of the guitar.
pulling down the tone know does not help.
psychoshredder is offline  
post #10 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-20-2012, 03:52 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Brazil
Posts: 5,010
Reviews: 64
Re: Does wood grain pattern matter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychoshredder View Post
thanks for the answer, but it's not helping.
i want to kill a little natural brightnes of the guitar.
pulling down the tone know does not help.
Yeah because a tone knob is not suppose to do that, right?
Equalizer?
Amp equalizer settings?
None of them help?
You really need an unfinished guitar
6fingers is offline  
post #11 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-20-2012, 03:57 AM
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: indonesia
Posts: 2,556
Re: Does wood grain pattern matter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6fingers View Post
Yeah because a tone knob is not suppose to do that, right?
Maybe volume knob?
Equalizer?
Amp equalizer settings?
None of them help?
You really needs an unfinished guitar
treva, i know it'd would be your answers.
but as I mentioned, I'm not that kind of guy who loves to playing around with eq, fx setting and so on.
I just would like to know, unfinished vs painted , how does it effect to the natural sound/tone of the guitar. I'm talking about playing it unplugged. so no pickup, no electronic involved, let's start about how it naturally sound with or without paint.

the man said it does effect on mahogany guitar, so how about on ash?
what is the different.
that's all I need to know.
psychoshredder is offline  
post #12 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-20-2012, 04:26 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Brazil
Posts: 5,010
Reviews: 64
Re: Does wood grain pattern matter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychoshredder View Post
treva, i know it'd would be your answers.
but as I mentioned, I'm not that kind of guy who loves to playing around with eq, fx setting and so on.
I just would like to know, unfinished vs painted , how does it effect to the natural sound/tone of the guitar. I'm talking about playing it unplugged. so no pickup, no electronic involved, let's start about how it naturally sound with or without paint.

the man said it does effect on mahogany guitar, so how about on ash?
what is the different.
that's all I need to know.
The answer is obvious.
YOU have to try it cause nobody have the same ears.
Some will say "yes I hear a difference" and some "there's no difference" but their ears are theirs and not yours.
You can't use other people brains as facts of something related to personal opinion.
6fingers is offline  
post #13 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-20-2012, 04:33 AM
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: indonesia
Posts: 2,556
Re: Does wood grain pattern matter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6fingers View Post
The answer is obvious.
YOU have to try it cause nobody have the same ears.
Some will say "yes I hear a difference" and some "there's no difference" but their ears are theirs and not yours.
You can't use other people brains as facts of something related to personal opinion.
yes...I'd like to hear people's opinion before i'll do something stupid with my guitar
besides, unfinished ash does look good...
psychoshredder is offline  
post #14 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-20-2012, 06:37 AM
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: UK
Posts: 1,641
Re: Does wood grain pattern matter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychoshredder View Post
treva, i know it'd would be your answers.
but as I mentioned, I'm not that kind of guy who loves to playing around with eq, fx setting and so on.
I just would like to know, unfinished vs painted , how does it effect to the natural sound/tone of the guitar. I'm talking about playing it unplugged. so no pickup, no electronic involved, let's start about how it naturally sound with or without paint.

the man said it does effect on mahogany guitar, so how about on ash?
what is the different.
that's all I need to know.
You're splitting hairs. There's a difference between

1 - getting a good sound at the source (What you think you're doing)

and

2 - Refusing to use the simple, immediate tools you have available that are there for good reason. (What you are doing)

Last edited by jono; 04-20-2012 at 02:57 PM.
GuitarBizarre is offline  
post #15 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-20-2012, 07:22 AM
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: indonesia
Posts: 2,556
Re: Does wood grain pattern matter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarBizarre View Post
You're splitting hairs. There's a difference between

1 - getting a good sound at the source (What you think you're doing)

and

2 - Refusing to use the simple, immediate tools you have available that are there for good ****ing reason. (What you are doing)
Yes, i am. So what?
I know what tone, eq, use for. It's not what i'm after.
We learn something new each day. The idea of stripping out a guitar always in my head.
Besides how it looks, i want to know more how does it effect to the natural tone or sound.

So i'm choosing to go different path. So be it.

Last edited by jono; 04-20-2012 at 02:57 PM.
psychoshredder is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).



Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
RG2550E: Cracked Fingerboard or just grain? warmachine67 All Other Guitars (including Prestige) 10 03-28-2010 02:20 PM
question on the wood grain of a maple neck Santuzzo All Other Guitars (including Prestige) 16 02-12-2010 05:08 PM
Wood grain filler supply in Canada Rotti Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods 3 11-04-2005 08:08 AM
Bodywood, Neckwood, Fretboard wood, and others - how much do they really matter? bobojem Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods 11 02-01-2005 06:28 PM
Cleaning Fretboards - With or against grain? kirk Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods 3 03-19-2001 06:48 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome