Does it worth it ?! - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-05-2010, 01:28 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 3
Does it worth it ?!

Hello guys. I have an old RG370DX and I was thinking of upgrading it. However, I have asked many people and for the cost of the upgrade, it'd be better to purchase a new guitar.

From my point of view, the new guitar for the same price will not be as good as the upgraded guitar. So any one can give suggestions ?! I included shipping costs to my country as well.

Here what I will upgrade

The Tremolo: EDGE III > EDGE PRO
Bridge Pickup : INF4 > Dimarzio D-activator X
Neck Pickup : INF3 > Dimarzio D-activator X

I calculated it and I found I will need to pay $510 (including shipping)

Of course, $510 may get a good guitar, however not as powerful as the upgraded guitar. I like the neck very much, that is why I am not thinking of changing the guitar and I thought of a costly upgrading. Also if you suggested a new guitar, I'd prefer a Jackson or an ESP LTD.

Thanks guys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-05-2010, 02:07 PM

Reviews: 130
Re: Does it worth it ?!

Do you have the skills to perform the upgrades (especially the trem replacement)?

If not, go for the Jeff Hanneman ESP LTD with the Kahler-X trem in Digital Camo--Looks wicked:

http://guitars.***************.com/p...tar?sku=542079

Or not...

Cheers,

Race
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-05-2010, 02:11 PM

Well, if you sell your guitar what would you get for it? Add that to your $510 and see if you like what that new amount will buy you. If you ended up with 800 dollars, that buys an awful lot of guitar - possibly an early 90's Jackson Professional (which would be a huge upgrade in my opinion)

Moving out of Chat into 'Other Ibanez guitars'
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-05-2010, 03:37 PM

Reviews: 12

Just so you know if you care about matching radius of trem and neck you will need to either shim trem or replace neck with a 430mm radius one. The stock 370 should have the Wizard II neck which is a 400 mm radius.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-05-2010, 03:41 PM

Reviews: 120

Well if you really like the neck then keep the guitar and upgrade it.

If you ever decide to sell it make sure you keep the stock parts and you can put it back to stock, and sell the upgraded parts if you wish. that will net the most money back.

Yes you will most probably need to shim the saddles slightly on the Edge Pro, but that is not difficult to do yourself, and not expensive either. You can just use some emery paper cut up in to small pieces and the fronts of the saddles you need to raise.

The Edge Pro should drop right in too, so not really hard to install.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-05-2010, 04:55 PM

Reviews: 39

I actually just wrote a review of the 370DX here for Jemsite. We keep one as a spare for our band and it sees alot of use. While I don't mind the Edge III so much when it's tight and maintained (on stage it's really quite negligible unless you are tremolo crazy), a pickup upgrade goes a LONG way for the 370.

I'd go for the D-activators and hold off on the Edge pro personally. That way if you decide to save up for a pro-level guitar, you can just grab up those D-activators later and put those in em and save yourself the extra $$$ on stuffing an Edge pro in a 370DX.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-05-2010, 05:19 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 3

@Jim777

Sorry for posting at the wrong section and Thanks for moving it. Well I can get a $800 after selling the old guitar about 60% of its original price as it is in a good condition however, $800 is just for the guitar price without any shipping costs (That costs won't be less than $100, I guess )

@LovePhantom & spudler_t

That was a new info for me, but I can't change the neck as spudler stated. It'd be better to get new guitar instead.

For shimming the saddles, I have no idea about doing so. But I guess I may be able to take my guitar to a guitar tech at the local store and he may be able to do it, but ofc not for free. I will look for a guitar in range of $600~$700. If I couldn't find what I want, my best bet will be to upgrade.

@Sonic

To be honest, I am using it for 3 years and it was doing fine. But from about 6 months ago, I felt that the bridge will break in my hands and I try not to use it as I did before and that annoys me.That is why I am looking to upgrade it. Well, I am convinced a bit. I do change the pickups and save up Edge pro money and add some extra bucks for another 2 years and then get a new guitar. Not bad idea though. However the discussion is still on and I wanna look for more opinions and suggestions.

Thank a lot guys !

Tags
dimarzio , ibanez , jackson , upgrade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode