Does it worth ?? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-05-2016, 04:46 AM Thread Starter

Does it worth ??

Hi there

I have been looking for a satisfying answer for this question on multiple forums with no success...

I have 2005 RG320FM AM... It is basswood body with maple veneer and rosewood fretboard... it comes with infinity pickups which are known for their low quality. Overall, this guitar is considered as a cheap guitar but for me, I have it for 10 years and I am very used to it and I see it very good built and plays nice.

A couple of months ago, I purchased an Ltd EC401VF which has mahogany body and seymour duncan pickups... it sounds way better which made me thinking of upgrading my RG and put Dimarzio Crunch Lab + Liquifire.

My question is, does it worth? Will I feel huge difference with new pickups considering the cheap constructed guitar? Has any of you did it before and felt improvement in sound?

Thanx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-05-2016, 05:41 AM

Re: Does it worth ??

Hi,
IMO upgrading inf pickups to Dimarzio is always worth it.
If you enjoy playing the RG now, it will definately be an improvement on the tone.

Regards,
Cliff
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-05-2016, 06:37 AM

Ohh, regarding your question: "Has any of you did it before and felt improvement in sound?"

I once upgraded an RG350MDX with Dimarzio PU.
I installed a Norton in the bridge and a PAF Pro in the neck.

Very much an improvement, the original inf PU are more liveless compared to the Dimarzio's and the more definition of the tone is noticed right away.
The amps I use are a JCM800 or a Blackstar HT-20 or HT-5.

Of course a lot has been written about PU's and of course all is a matter of taste.
Rock-on!
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-05-2016, 10:30 AM

Reviews: 2

I think the important question is- Are you happy with the EdgeIII bridge? If you are, A pickup change can only improve on a guitar your already very comfortable with.

I would suggest taking your time when selecting pickups. Your EC401 comes with DiMarzio PAF 36th's which are a low output "vintage" pickup. If your trying to get a similar tone/feel with the RG320 I would probably stick to medium or low output pickups. The Crunchlab may be hotter than what your looking for or expecting.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-05-2016, 01:38 PM

I agree with rgtfanatic.
The EdgeIII is definately a "lower" quality trem, but as long as it works to your satisfaction, I would leave it in.
Enjoy your guitar, upgrade when you feel comfortable with it.
I replaced the Edge in this particular guitar with an Edge Pro, which fitted with no modifications at all, and it was great.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-05-2016, 04:07 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGTFanatic View Post
I think the important question is- Are you happy with the EdgeIII bridge? If you are, A pickup change can only improve on a guitar your already very comfortable with.

I would suggest taking your time when selecting pickups. Your EC401 comes with DiMarzio PAF 36th's which are a low output "vintage" pickup. If your trying to get a similar tone/feel with the RG320 I would probably stick to medium or low output pickups. The Crunchlab may be hotter than what your looking for or expecting.
No, I have the version equipped with Seymour Duncan SH pickups... It sounds very powerful on the mahogany body... I want to use it for rhythm and use the Ibanez for lead so I am looking for the Petrucci set... On the other hand, I am trying to find a used Prestige with reasonable price but in Egypt... It is very hard !
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-05-2016, 04:34 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGTFanatic View Post

No, I have the version equipped with Seymour Duncan SH pickups... It sounds very powerful on the mahogany body... I want to use it for rhythm and use the Ibanez for lead so I am looking for the Petrucci set... On the other hand, I am trying to find a used Prestige with reasonable price but in Egypt... It is very hard !

Tags
crunch lab , dimarzio , liquifire , rg320 , rg320fm

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode