Does your hand cramp up on your Wizard neck? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-04-2003, 04:13 AM Thread Starter

Does your hand cramp up on your Wizard neck?

Just curious?

I have noticed that when playing lots of chords on a Wizard neck, that my hand gets sore. Bad technique, playing too hard, or is this due to the fact that the neck is so thin and doesnt allow for a comfortable grip..

Kinda curious if anyone has any insight or experiences the same thing
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-04-2003, 05:12 AM

never had any problems with a Wizard. maybe it just doesnt fit your hand. i've got pretty little hands...
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-04-2003, 12:02 PM

I've got small hands also and I can't play anything comfortably if it's not on a Wizard.
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-04-2003, 01:39 PM

I've got relatively big hands, and i play mostly rhythm, and i find most of the thinner/flatter Ibanez necks give me cramps. It could be poor technique on my part, but it's probably just a matter of "fit". I just tend to prefer chunkier Ultra-style necks.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-04-2003, 03:59 PM

strange
never had any problems myself, i find the wizard fits me perfectly
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-04-2003, 04:16 PM

It's just a matter of personal fit, playing style and preference. One size does not fit all.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-04-2003, 05:10 PM

"The bigger, the better"

"Its not the size, its how you use it"

Sorry, those cliche's just popped into my head.

I have a Wizard, and no problems. I have no talent, which is. I don't play long enough to cramp I guess. Then again, I do find the Wizard extremely comfortable. But, I haven't really played anything but Wizard necks.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-04-2003, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darren wilson
I've got relatively big hands, and i play mostly rhythm, and i find most of the thinner/flatter Ibanez necks give me cramps. It could be poor technique on my part, but it's probably just a matter of "fit". I just tend to prefer chunkier Ultra-style necks.
Whats odd is tend to only use my les paul style guitars for rythm work and my wizards for lead. My hands dont really cramp although my fingerjoints often ache. Whenever sitting down i play with classical positioning elevating my left knee while placing the guitar upon it. Maybe you guys should try that or try adjusting the length of your strap so as not to overexert your wrist or hands?
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-04-2003, 10:50 PM

A wizard neck is definately thin but it is also deceptively wide across the fingerboard, compared to some of my Korean accoustics which are just the opposite, fat from top to bottom but narrow across the fretboard. If you're accustomed to the latter it may be that to play the same chords on a wizard requires different positioning of fingers, ie. farther apart, and less to grab hold of causing you to pinch the neck rather than the neck supporting your grip. Personally, I play a completely different style on my accoustics and even on my L.P. than I do on my RG's, I use very little of the back side of the neck on my RG's compared to a grabbing a handful of chord technique on my accoustics.
On a side note I might suggest warming up your hands and stretching out first, and also drink fluids that do not cause dehydration, as cramping is a sign of dehydration.
hope this helps!!
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-04-2003, 11:53 PM

No hand cramps, but after a weekend of playing it the Wizard gave my wrist this terrible sharp pain in the tendon I never experienced before. Trading the guitar for one with a Wizard II made it instantly better (only 2mm thicker + a little rounder radius, but what a vastly different result)
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-05-2003, 01:46 PM

wizard 6 necks are ok, but I never played them extensively enough to tell
super wizard necks do hurt me, I know it for a friend lent me his 550 and it was so damn thin that I had unwanted tension in my whole thumb (from the finger tip to the palm).
the worst is the neck on 7620s and 7420s. They are so flat and "cubic" that they hurt my hands like crazy, the edges especially. Nothing like the neck on my 2027 which is am besten!
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-06-2003, 08:20 PM

im used to playing an original wizard neck (really really thin) and my hand loves it, on my other `Nez, it has a wizard II neck, and i cannot play that for too long, feels like im holding a brick :S and it kills my hand after a while
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-07-2003, 11:32 PM

My Wiz II always makes my thumb cramp up while Im doing scales. Chords are fine, fast leads are fine. But going through teh scales once and the thumb just starts to aching. I have big hands but fat kinda short(Average I guess) fingers and I have to put my thumb sideways on the neck, and damn it starts to hurting. It's starting to hold me back at a time in my playing where I'm really starting to get the hang of putting some quick lead runs in my riffs. Oh well.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-24-2003, 01:08 PM

I play best on the flatter necks like the wizard,or jackson style necks
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-24-2003, 01:39 PM

I never cramp on my Rg450. I do with my Jackson though cause the neck is fat like on my strat. I have small hands so the wizard necks work best for me.

Tags
darren wilson , ibanez neck , ibanez necks , les paul , les paul style guitar , super wizard neck

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode