doing some work on my Jaguar - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-10-2005, 10:44 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 6
doing some work on my Jaguar

I've had this fender jaguar for some time now. It was my first "real" guitar. I'd really like to make some changes to it. I still use it quite often especially when playing blues, it's a great slide guitar. there's just a few things i've been toying with. First off it needs to have the stock bridge replaced with a mustang style bridge. The other necessary replacement is the neck pickup, which has horrible microphonic feedback. The neck pickup is great, it's an SD mini JB pickup. It was a real pain to get the wiring right due to the jags unique wiring setup. I'd like to get one of SDs single coil replacements, i wouldn't mind getting a dimarzio either. I'd be cool with getting an other mini humbucker if i could make sure the wiring was done by someone else, i really don't want to go thru that again myself! I was also possibly thinking of getting a warmoth neck to replace the jag neck. I can't decide on maple or ebony fretboard, i think they'd both look real nice on the guitar (it's 3 tone sunburst) I was mainly thinking about getting the new neck so i could put some better tuners on it (an other necessary mod.) as far as neck wood i'd want to go with a high quality maple.
thanks for the help,
Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-11-2005, 07:48 AM
dex

Re: doing some work on my Jaguar

Forget about the mustang bridge, just wrap some teflon tape around the posts so they fit snugly in the inserts and then string it up with at least 11s.
Can't help you with the pickups as they are a personal choice but the wiring is crazy so make sure you get diagrams from the net before attampting any changes.

If you get a neck from Warmouth, I'd advise you to go for a normal 25.5" scale neck as the Jaguar's 24" makes most strings feel very spagetti and getting that snap Fender sound is not as easy (unles you apply unhealty levels of compression) which makes it the most redundant single coil guitar ever.
As a last point, look into changing the tuners for something good from gotoh or schaller.

Bottom line, some teflon tape, new locking tuners and some 11s will make all the difference for very little money but if you are set on changing the neck get a 25.5" left hended strat neck and you'll end up with Jimi'ed and uber cool guitar.

ilia
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-11-2005, 01:07 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 6
Re: doing some work on my Jaguar

Thanks for the advice, by the way it was the bridge pickup i had no qualms about. I'm thinking about goin with the quarter pound jaguar replacement pickup SD makes. I like the single coil sound. I do agree about the scale length i usually need to put at least 12s on to get it to feel like my other fixed bridge guitars (which i typically use 11s on.) I'm just not sure if i want to put that kind of cash into it. The bridge is kind of shot, a lot of the allen screws to raise and lower the saddles are stripped so i am still considering the mustang bridge. Just figured i'd ask the forum what they'd do out of curiousity. I mean how often does some one ask for advice on a jaguar on a jem forum?

Tags
bridge pickup , ebony fretboard , fixed bridge , fixed bridge guitar , fixed bridge guitars , locking tuners , neck pickup , warmoth neck

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode