Double Edge - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-13-2002, 04:25 PM Thread Starter
K_T

Double Edge

Can you buy the Double edge tremelo seperatly? and in gold? =P
I would like a Floyd rose type of bridge with Piezo.. and the double edge is the only one which handles it from what I've heard... =)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-13-2002, 04:34 PM

No. Ibanez won't sell them...and that is something I don't understand.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-13-2002, 04:41 PM Thread Starter
K_T

That sucks...

Are there any other alternative?
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-13-2002, 04:50 PM

I hate to say, but ed roman www.worldclassguitars.com might have them since he says he disembles them and sells the parts (you better call him, its probably not listed on the site). just keep looking, big stores might not carry them.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-13-2002, 04:59 PM

Don't call Ed.
It'll just hurt- both your feelings and your wallet.

Find a pre-owned 2020X, or a NOS one at a local store. Check EvilBay too.
You'll save TONS of money, if you sell the extra parts it'll help offset the cost (which is probably exactly what Special Ed does).

And, if you do decide to do the uninstall/install yourself, BE VERY CAREFUL!!! There are very small wires back there that are extremely delicate. Also double-check your wiring before you take it all apart. :-)

If you need any help with DE uninstall/install or wiring, feel free to email or IM me.
[email protected]
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-13-2002, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gresh
I probably missed this discussion, but how do we know this is a fact?

If it is true, it just goes to show you how reluctant Ibanez is to make money in the parts industry. I don't understand it - I know we (Jemsite) are a small audience, but I think they'd do well if they followed the business practices of other manufacturers like Fender and Gibson - you always see repair parts bearing the names of the aformentioned manufacturers hanging on the walls of authorized dealers. You can buy Fender replacement necks right off the shelf too; necks that are made by Fender and necks that are made by companies authorized to manufacture replacement parts.

I'd like to keep the RG550 that I am trying to off, but if I could drop a double edge into it, I might keep it for another week.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-13-2002, 08:44 PM

Come on Kirk. You've been playing this game a long time...you know how it works with dealers:

- If you need a backplate screw for your $119 Str*t, the local dealer will have it overnighted to your front door by Morgan Fairchild.
- If you need an entire trem for your UV, you can grow a redwood before the local dealer will make that call.

Stop me when I'm wrong.

Other problems:
1. They don't own that preamp; LR Baggs does.
2. Installation. I know you guys think that if a moron like me can pull them out and put them in it should be easy, but it's NOT. You don't know how many hours I've spent with this thing- on the phone with techs...getting faxes, emails...removing the plates of my CST so many times....whew. Literally hundreds of hours with the DE systems.
3. Design Improvments. There's already a new DE system out- with a sweet EQ for the piezo.
4. TOTAL GUESS: Cost Effectivness. It's actually cheaper to put them into a guitar than in a box.

Spare PARTS are available from Ibanez, but not complete systems.

Honestly, it'd be cheaper to buy a pre-owned 2020x, remove the DE system components, and sell the rest.
I know there are 2020x's out there in need of a good home. (Or, in Kirk's case, a half-way house. LOL)
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-13-2002, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevan
Spare PARTS are available from Ibanez, but not complete systems.
My first assumption is that you're specifically talking about the Double Edge, in which case I would agree if they are not offering only the trem for sale. (I still haven't any positive proof that they won't sell it.)

Quote:
If you need an entire trem for your UV, you can grow a redwood before the local dealer will make that call.
May I edit this statement? How about:
If you need an entire trem for your UV, you can grow a redwood before the ****TY local dealer will make that call.

I guess I am lucky because I have a local dealer that has pulled necks off of his own guitars to get me replacements for mine. I can order pretty much anything through him, any day of the week (except Mondays - they're closed.) Where the order falls apart is when it gets to Ibanez (partial or incomplete shipments have been my experience.)

Warmoth is liscenced by Fender to make replacement necks. LR Baggs sell their wares through Stew Mac. The Edge trems (all variants) are (IMHO) superior to just about every FR clone out there. Although you don't hear dive bombs in the top ten these days, there are still a lot of people who own FR equipped guitars. Would you upgrade? I would, especially if I could walk into GC and buy one off the shelf....
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-13-2002, 10:14 PM

I have to agree with Kirk. As I'm collecting parts for my never ending RG550 project, I am constantly wishing I could put the piezo setup on it. It makes no sense that Ibanez refuses to enter the replacement parts market.

What's ironic is that much of this stems from Ibanez having such a hissy fit over the copying of their trademark headstock design. They don't want their products on "inferior" guitars. Of course, we're all supposed to forget the fact that Ibanez made their name by copying Gibson and Fender in the late 60s and early 70s.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-13-2002, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirk
My first assumption is that you're specifically talking about the Double Edge, in which case I would agree if they are not offering only the trem for sale. (I still haven't any positive proof that they won't sell it.)
Yes, I'm talking about the DE system specifically. Trust me- It's not for sale seperately. Myself and others have asked, nicely. Not gonna happen.
Quote:
Quote:
If you need an entire trem for your UV, you can grow a redwood before the local dealer will make that call.
May I edit this statement? How about:
If you need an entire trem for your UV, you can grow a redwood before the ****TY local dealer will make that call.

I guess I am lucky because I have a local dealer that has pulled necks off of his own guitars to get me replacements for mine. I can order pretty much anything through him, any day of the week (except Mondays - they're closed.) Where the order falls apart is when it gets to Ibanez (partial or incomplete shipments have been my experience.)
You have a helluva dealer!
Try an order at GC or SA sometime. Post the results.

Quote:
LR Baggs sell their wares through Stew Mac.
You can get the CTRL-X (same preamp as in the DE systems) lots of places.
The problem is getting the trem with the piezo saddles. :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcord
I have to agree with Kirk. As I'm collecting parts for my never ending RG550 project, I am constantly wishing I could put the piezo setup on it. It makes no sense that Ibanez refuses to enter the replacement parts market.
- Stand-alone DE system in a box: est. $600-$700.
- RG-2020x ($700), sell the body and neck (-$400): $300 for a DE system.
You sure you want to buy one all by itself?
How many cries have you heard (or said) for an RG neck/body? Don't try to tell me they'd be hard to get rid of.

Quote:
Of course, we're all supposed to forget the fact that Ibanez made their name by copying Gibson and Fender in the late 60s and early 70s. :)
Ibanez was copying guitars before Leo Fender was out of grade school. Try 20's and 30's.

*cough*Charvel*cough*
:-)
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-13-2002, 11:15 PM

Leave it to Kev to point out useless ****. LOL

Don't be an idiot Kev, Jesus. Hoshino was making guitars in the early 20th century - IBANEZ got huge by ripping off Strats, Teles, and the entire Gibson line in the late 60s.

Seriously though, Kev makes a good point about buying a DE equipped guitar and gutting it. Although, some of us would like other finishes, and there are a great few who wouldn't part out a Prestige unless the neck broke or something...
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-13-2002, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Leave it to Kev to point out useless ****. LOL
LMAO. You have no idea of the amount of useless sh!t in this head. :-P
Quote:
Don't be an idiot Kev, Jesus. Hoshino was making guitars in the early 20th century - IBANEZ got huge by ripping off Strats, Teles, and the entire Gibson line in the late 60s. :roll:
That's what ya get for making them better than the original. :-)
Charvel got huge too, then answered to the same attorney Ibanez did.

And now, we return you back to your Double Edge thread....
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-13-2002, 11:42 PM

ROFLMAO

DEs rock. Wish I could buy a gold one.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-14-2002, 02:19 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gresh
I probably missed this discussion, but how do we know this is a fact?
Having spoken to both Hoshino *and LR Baggs (as a dealer, mind you) I can assure you that that they are in fact not available (though they might be someday, fingers crossed)
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-14-2002, 07:30 AM

Welcome back Kevan. This place has been devoid of logic since you've been gone.

Keep coming back.

Tags
double edge trem , edge trem , edge trems , equipped guitar , floyd rose , headstock design , leo fender

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode