Double Edge Rigs - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-13-2002, 05:09 PM Thread Starter

Double Edge Rigs

I am curious to know what Double Edge users are running their guitars through? (fx/amps)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-13-2002, 05:21 PM

I use to run mine through a Lexicon G2(set to accoustic), that running into 3Rectifier into mesa vintage cab.

Now I run it through a Fender CyberTwin. I haven't needed to, but have wanted to try it through an accoutic amp. I bet it would kill.

I like being able to add fx to the piezo and getting some really unique sounds... even some distorted tones I've used now and then.

main axe now is my JPM7/piezo.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-13-2002, 06:25 PM Thread Starter

I'd imagine with some compression it does sound like an acoustic, even through the Cyber?
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-13-2002, 09:03 PM

I usually run the magnetic PU's on my 2020 & 1680 through a Mesa rig (Triaxis->G-Major->2:90) and the piezos through a Carvin A100G acoustic amp. Sounds amazing! The Carvin is a multi-purpose amp (acoustic, bass, vocal/PA, keys) but it's really optimized for acoustic guitar. Add a little chorus & verb and it sounds killer!

I have yet to actually do anything with piezos live... I rarely play clean in my current band, so I have even less practical application for pseudo-acoustic. But it's a lot of fun to mess with in the basement!

--B
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-13-2002, 09:51 PM

As little as I use mine around the house, I get pretty good results with my rack rig (Rocktron Piranha/Replifex/PV 50/50-->two Mesa 1x12 cabs). The Piranha has a great parametric EQ, and gets really clean.
Greg
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-13-2002, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirk
I'd imagine with some compression it does sound like an acoustic, even through the Cyber?
yes, Most people look at my guitar funny at first... they are like, it sounds like an accoustic but looks like a metal guitar?...lol then I go to explain the piezo stuff.. and then demonstrate that it can rock too. The cybertwin is a great amp, with a few choice dist. pedals out front you can get anything you want(almost). No amp ever does everything... but dang this one comes close.

love my ebmm jpm7 with piezo of course!
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-13-2002, 10:19 PM Thread Starter

Cool, these are the answers I was looking for. I am looking to buy one of the double edge guitars, and I also wanted a hardtail for alt tunings. Maybe I'll (gasp) block the trem on one of these things.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-14-2002, 01:33 AM

It's not a Double Edge, but i'm using a Fly Classic, so it's a similar setup. To be honest, i've never really liked guitar amps. I find them too limiting, and i like having access to a broader frequency spectrum than guitar amps generally have.

The magnetics go into my Boss GT-6 and out into whatever amp happens to be in our rehearsal space at the moment. When we start gigging, i'm planning on going stereo, direct to the board with some nice loud monitors up front.

The piezo runs to a SansAmp Acoustic D.I. and (you guessed it) direct to the P.A. The SansAmp lets me tweak the EQ a bit more just to sweeten the tone a bit before it hits the board. Makes a world of difference. I'm tempted to try out the Yamaha AG Stomp, too.

Also, i may consider trying out the GraphTech F.A.A.S. system on my Dean Evo Special 7, so i can split my 7-string sound just as i do with my Parker.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-14-2002, 07:17 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by darren wilson
Also, i may consider trying out the GraphTech F.A.A.S. system on my Dean Evo Special 7, so i can split my 7-string sound just as i do with my Parker.
I was thinking about using these too, however on a RG421. After looking at all of the parts (boards, switches) it seemed like a lot of work, something a hack like me couldn't do.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-14-2002, 09:37 AM

I gnerally run mine into my POD Pro using the tube preamp model, and one of the acoustic settings in my G-Major...sounds very good straight from there into my sound card, but take it through my Mesa and out the recto 2x12 and all that beauty just gets squished.

I had actually purchased an AG Stomp and had it for several days. I was hell bent on building a great direct rig with stereo magnetics and stereo Acoustic tone simultaneously. Found that I didn't need all that and at $400 it was an expensive non-essential so I took it back.

You owe it to yourself to try this thing out though, it is amazing what it can do to a piezo signal. I can't explain it at all, just go try one out for yourself...it is truly amazing, just too expensive.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-14-2002, 09:58 AM

Live, I just run the magnetics on my EB/MM JPM through either my Mesa Mark IV or Rivera TBR-1SL rig (depending on venue size). As for the piezos, I'll just run them directly into the PA and have the sound guy add a little reverb. It's worked stuningly well so far! I get plenty of piezo in the monitors, and it makes people look around to see where the acoustic is
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-25-2002, 05:12 PM

Well, i took my 2027 to an acoustic gig last night, knowing that if it didn't really cut it, he had a spare acoustic i could play on.

The biggest problem was i didn't have time to check my tuning before i went over- i was at a party for a friend of mine who just came back from DC for the summer, and since i had't seen the kid in a few months, it took me longer than i thought it would to get moving. And, since i had forgot my wrenches (had them out for reworking my 7620 to get it ready for sale- offers welcome, by the way ), i could only compensate with the fine tuners, and it wasn't quite enough. I could hide it with vibrato for leads, but for chording, it just didn't quite sit right. So, i switched anyway after 3 songs (I'm stubborn, and i consider myself a horrible acoustic guitarist)

Tonally, well, it wasn't too bad. Flat out of the box, will it sound just as good as an acoustic peizo? no. I noticed the acoustic i was playing later was WAY more compressed naturally than the peizo was, so right off the bat you need something with a decent compressor. This wasn't too big a deal with rhythm, but for bluesy leads (i got into the sRV-ish habit of snapping the occasional bend with my middle finger, and i haven't managed to make myself kick it just yet), the dynamics were just too different. It wasn't as "clear" as the acoustic was, too- a little muddier in the mids.

That said, before the thing died (currently being ressurected, i hope), i used to plug it into a modified patch on my J-Station- one of the bass models, with some compression and reverb. sounded scarily real through my stereo. :-)

-Drew

Tags
acoustic amp , acoustic guitar , darren wilson , dean evo , dean evo special , distorted tone , distorted tones , ebmm jpm , mesa mark , pod pro , rivera tbr , rocktron piranha , tube preamp

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode