Double locking trems?????????? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-02-2001, 07:59 PM Thread Starter

Double locking trems??????????

Why do they call double locking tremolos "double locking"? *I realize they lock at the nut, but is there a single locking trem? *I'm confused.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-02-2001, 08:14 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1

very simple. the string is locked in two places: the nut and the bridge. There is no string movement at either end... glen
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-02-2001, 08:32 PM

My first guitar had a Kahler trem on it--it had a locking nut, but the strings were not locked in at the bridge.

Pro:
- It's easier to change strings

Con:
- It won't stay it tune, so why have a trem after all?

--Brent
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-02-2001, 08:45 PM Thread Starter

OH, thanks.....now I get it...
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-06-2001, 05:33 PM

rg270s have a single locking trem. *it looks just like an OFR, except that the little pieces where you normally insert the allen wrench to unscrew the bridge is hollow plastic, and it catches the ball-end of the string. *they suck!

i saw a fender YJM model where someone had replaced the bridge w/ an ibanez rg270 bridge.... *and hadn't routed it out! *so when you pulled up on the trem, it hit the body of the guitar... and it didn't help the tuning at all! *
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-08-2001, 09:43 AM

One of my students has an RG-270. He was a bit put off by the single locking tremolo not staying in tune. Well, I re-strung it with Fender Bullet strings (I knew it worked well on strats so I figured we'd give it a whirl) and it improved his tuning stability 100%.
* * * * * * The bullets don't hang up in the string sleeve like the ball-end designs do so he's happy. I was impressed just how well his git seemed to be holding pitch even a week after the change!
* * * * * * * * Now if we could just find him a used OFR at a nice price.

Tags
allen wrench , double locking tremolo , kahler trem , locking nut , locking tremolo

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode