Doubleneck Question - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-19-2007, 01:08 PM Thread Starter

Doubleneck Question

Does anyone make a double neck that includes a 6 or 7 string normal, and a 6 string fretless. I found one triple neck that is a 12, 7, and 6 fretless on the bay, but i don't want a triple neck. Too freaking big. I was thinking if i can't find one that someone already makes, i could get a second ibanez neck (already have one, rg570 neck), have the fingerboard redone to be fretless, and have someone build a body for me. want both 'sides' to be hardtail. any suggestions?? i want to experiment with some fretless in some of the songs my band wrote. We are rejoining after the holidays, and i'd like to have some new ideas coming along for the restart. this doesn't have to be a spectacular instrument. i want decent playability and somewhat decent sound. It won't be used much at all or i would look to spend more money. Let me know what you guys think
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-19-2007, 01:24 PM

Re: Doubleneck Question

You could always do what guys with cheap basses do : get a fret puller from Stew Mac ($20? ) and some wood putty, and make your own fretless
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-19-2007, 02:15 PM Thread Starter

problem would still be a body. I have no problem doing that with the wood filler if that will work ok. anybody still making custom bodies?? I think LGM quit at least with re-body stuff and EKG's site is down/gone. Don't even know if they would have done double neck bodies
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-19-2007, 02:34 PM

Actually, I think you can get a variety of doubleneck bodies from Warmoth. You might be able to get enough for the 570 neck to cover the price of a Warmoth neck, then you'd still only need one more neck. You could probably get a fretless neck from Warmoth as well.

Last edited by jim777; 12-19-2007 at 02:41 PM.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-19-2007, 02:41 PM

i think christopher woods does them too...(i think) he has atriple-neck up now.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-19-2007, 02:46 PM

I would have to think that dealing with Warmoth would be several months (if not years) faster than dealing with Chris Woods
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-19-2007, 03:45 PM Thread Starter

i was looking at some of chris's stuff. anyone dealt with him? whats the turnaround time on orders?

Doubleneck version of this simply tongue oiled with AANJs would be good for my purposes

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-19-2007, 03:50 PM

Read through the Woods thread, you'll see experiences lots of folks have had.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-19-2007, 04:07 PM Thread Starter

looks like feelings are kinda mixed. maybe i'll look at a warmoth body and see what they can do for me... chris woods may be more than i want to spend too. i dunno yet.. i'll have to think about it.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-20-2007, 04:18 PM Thread Starter

ok .. so see how dumb this idea is. I don't really want to spend much money at all on this cause i don't know how much i'll really use it. how about i get 2 really cheap guitar like GAX70s or GAX30s or something. no more than 160 per guitar.. chop the wings off, glue em together, and make a make-shift double neck.. then just add a routing to make the pickups from the side with no controls work into the existing controls on the right. since it has 4 knobs, i'll just make 2 control each neck rather than 4 on 1. I dont' even care to refinish it.. just tongue oil the section where the join is and leave the paint that didn't come off there. True frankenguitar.. but to spend probably close to 1500 or more probably to get a custom body made and get it finished and buy necks and hardware and all that for something i may use one song or two songs occasionally. not worth it to me. I could make these decently playable without too much work.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-20-2007, 05:00 PM

Dude, go for it! The only thing I would suggest is finding a doubleneck you are comfortable with, and getting a good measurement of how far apart the necks are. It will damned uncomfortable if you put the necks to close together on yours. And make one of those two cheap guitars an AX7221 for the heck of it
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-20-2007, 05:00 PM

neat idea
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-20-2007, 05:05 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim777 View Post
Dude, go for it! The only thing I would suggest is finding a doubleneck you are comfortable with, and getting a good measurement of how far apart the necks are. It will damned uncomfortable if you put the necks to close together on yours.
good point...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim777 View Post
And make one of those two cheap guitars an AX7221 for the heck of it
i was looking for them after i posted my last reply
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-20-2007, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamcbest View Post
ok .. so see how dumb this idea is..... I could make these decently playable without too much work.

That is sooo damn ridiculous that after airing an idea like that in public you are now honour bound to see it through..

It is a genuinely dumb idea.. yet strangely logical. I love it!
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-20-2007, 05:21 PM

Sometimes you see the AX-7521 for about the same price as the 7221, and they are definitely the one to get if you get a choice. Nice Japanese neck on that one, a really nice feel to it.

Tags
chris woods , christopher woods , double neck , ibanez neck , triple neck , warmoth neck

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Similar Searches

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode