Drop in locking tuners - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-14-2009, 02:04 AM Thread Starter

Drop in locking tuners

Hey guys

I have been GAS'ing over some locking tuners for a few months now. I have an RGR421 (Indonesian 2008 model) and wondering if anyone knows which ones I will need. I don't mind drilling a small hole if that is the way they mount, but the least amount of customizing I have to do, the better. I am not sure if Gotoh, Schaller, Sperzel, Planet Waves etc are the best option. I want them in black also.

Lastly, for a right handed guitar, reverse headstock, I want "right" tuners... Correct?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-14-2009, 07:08 PM Thread Starter

Re: Drop in locking tuners

Nobody?

Just wondering what is the same size post/hole as stock.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-14-2009, 08:16 PM

You can get Gotoh Magnum locking tuners, but they don't have a thumb wheel like Sperzels. I think you have to drill a hole for the Sperzels. I want locking tuners as well, but I don't want to drill any holes, and I want the thumb wheel, so that rules out the Gotoh for me.
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-14-2009, 08:23 PM

Planet Wave Auto Trim Locking Tuners. I had them on a JS1600 I had a while back and they work fine.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-15-2009, 01:21 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by taracatac View Post
You can get Gotoh Magnum locking tuners, but they don't have a thumb wheel like Sperzels. I think you have to drill a hole for the Sperzels. I want locking tuners as well, but I don't want to drill any holes, and I want the thumb wheel, so that rules out the Gotoh for me.
How do you lock the string into them?
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-15-2009, 06:31 AM

On Sperzels, there's a small dial on each tuning machine you turn to lock the strings. No idea on Magmums.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-15-2009, 01:28 PM

Reviews: 5

I believe the magnums somehow lock automatically whilst you turn the peg head

I highly recommend the PWs - they are solid, automatically cut the string and have an 18:1 ratio, I think the Sperzels are 12:1

I have the Sperzels on an LTD model that came stock, I put the PWs on an old Roadstar that I've had for over 20 yrs and LOVE them - am kinda putting off installing them on my 1550 that I've only had for a few months - will be a mis-match to the rest of the blk chrome that is on there & besides not locking (I am now spoiled), there's nothing to complain about with the stock tuners - they are great
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-15-2009, 04:12 PM

I put Sperzels in my RGT42 and I dont regret it. The holes do need to be largened slightly, but they fit the Ibby headstock no problem, and in my opinion the Sperzel Key looks the best for Ibanez headstocks. Considering you can find them for around $50, and a tech can't possibly charge more than $25 for the install, I am pleased with my investment.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-15-2009, 04:18 PM

I put Schallers in place of Gotohs in a guitar i had and they fit right in. The hole for the lil screw lined up perfectly
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-15-2009, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicDebris View Post
Planet Wave Auto Trim Locking Tuners. I had them on a JS1600 I had a while back and they work fine.
Were you able to install them without any mods?
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-15-2009, 10:03 PM

The Gotoh Magnum lock works by having the top half of the post (with the string hole in it) as a separate piece, which screws on to the bottom of the post. You put the string through it and turn the head with a screwdriver or coin to lock the string in place.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-18-2009, 01:59 AM Thread Starter

The PW's seem to be the best option but it does not look like they make them for left handed/reverse headstocks, or at least they don't in black.

Bummer. I guess Gotoh's are probably the next best option. I'm still debating on whether to spend the money or just put it towards a new Prestige, but Ibanez just won't make really what I want either, waiting is getting old.

Tags
rgr , tuners

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode