Dumb neck question. - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-21-2011, 12:01 AM Thread Starter

Dumb neck question.

Hey, Folks.

I have a question in regards to necks.
I've done some research and I think I have my answer. However, I would like to confirm my finding

My current guitar is a RG560 from 91'. It's a black guitar with a nice maple neck that has a square heel. Recently I saw a RG620x for sale at a local shop. I really don't have the need nor room to own more than 3 guitars. Kinda pointless when I'm just a bedroom player. Anyway, I was wondering if I can swap necks on this guitar. Taking a square heel neck and bolting it onto a AANJ neck pocket? I'm pretty certain you can't unless you want to modify the neck pocket?

My second guitar that I own is a Fender Mexi strat from 05'. It was the last guitar that my dad help pay for before he passed away a few years ago. So, I really can't let that go even though I don't care for Fenders anymore.

Thanks in advance.

P.S

The reason why I'm keeping the neck is because I love maple necks! Plus, it's signed by Paul Gilbert and Andy Timmons.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-21-2011, 07:40 AM

Re: Dumb neck question.

No....you cant.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-21-2011, 08:21 AM

Reviews: 2

u can turn a square heel pocket into an AANJ one, if it helps.
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-21-2011, 11:26 AM

Well, given that AANJ-Pocket and square heel neck have the same measurements (which I don't know as far as width is concerned), you can.

It just doesn't make sense!!

You would have to drill additional holes into the neck because the mounting screws won't fit/hit into the screw holes in the neck.

The square heel will stand over, making the AANJ Pocket worthless.

It would look like sh****.

It wouldn't be very comfortable when playing on the higher frets.

As far as stability is concerned: it would work.

Possible problem: the neck would probably be a little too high, which leads to impared string action/height.

I WOULD NOT DO IT!!!
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-21-2011, 12:36 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys for the replies. I figured it could be done but with too many areas of concern. Well, the only reason why I wanted the 620x is because of the double edge trem that comes with it. I'm dying for a piezo equipped guitar. My other thought is replaced the edge trem with a edge pro. That way I can modify the edge pro to equip the piezos.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-21-2011, 10:55 PM

Reviews: 11

then put a piezo on your RG560 dude!

Too bad it doesn,t have a pickguard. It would have made things a lot easier.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-22-2011, 01:49 AM Thread Starter

I hear ya. Once, I get the funds I'm planning on sanding down my 560. Re routing my pickups to except Single coils and then swap the edge for an edge pro. I found someone who can mod them to accept piezos.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-22-2011, 01:25 PM

Why get rid of the Edge? Most will agree that the Edge is far superior to the Edge Pro. If you're doing it for the piezo, you could just get a lo-pro with a piezo (or a double edge.). No routing needed for the Lo-Pro and it's just as good as the original edge (better in some's opinions. Mine included). However, if you're routing for an Edge Pro simply because you prefer the Edge Pro, then it sounds like a great idea!
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-22-2011, 01:49 PM

Reviews: 4

Yep, original and lo-pro are waaaaay better then the edge pro. Double edge or double lo-pro are the way to go. Unless you have experience with both and prefer the EP for some reason.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-22-2011, 01:52 PM Thread Starter

Personally, I want to keep the edge. From what I've seen I always thought the double edge was the edge pro? Just with Piezos. Also according to the thread here about trem swaps it says that I can swap the edge for an edge pro and no routing needs to be done.

The only routing I want to do is on the pickup layout. I want to switch to single coils but I don't want that big empty hole there where the humbucker was.

I'm also looking into getting a custom RG done by Perle Guitars. I bought a Jem body a few years back and it was alright.

Thanks for the advice!
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-22-2011, 02:02 PM Thread Starter

Speak of the devil.

There's an edge trem right now on the bay. The seller wants $500 of it. Ouch.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-22-2011, 05:43 PM

From what I understand (though I could be wrong), the Lo-Pro is the only direct replacement for the Original Edge. And they DO Make Lo-Pro's with piezo's. That's the best way to go I think.

Tags
ibanez rg560 , ibanez rg620x

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode