DY RG550 question... - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-14-2006, 12:53 PM Thread Starter

DY RG550 question...

Hi, have lurked here off and on, but this may be my first post! Anyway, I have a F7 serial DY RG550 coming from a friend. This will be to replace the F7 bubble gum (what's the offical name of this color?) RG550 I had back in the day, but stupidly sold. Well, hear is my question...back in the day all the DY and Bubblegum ones I saw in the stores, or that friends owned had matching headstocks. Now I see some DY RG550s on **** and in the European catalog that have the black headstock instead of the matching. The one I am getting has the black headstock also. What's the deal here? Did these come with "either or" back then and my area just never got a non matching one in stock?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-14-2006, 01:05 PM

Re: DY RG550 question...

I believe in 1989 the RG550 was offered with only a black headstock only.

I checked it against Ibanezrules.com in the catalogs and that's what it looks like. They matched headstocks with the colors of the body as of 1990 and on.

If I'm incorrect, someone please correct me, but that's what I remember reading one time as well.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-14-2006, 01:45 PM

There are a few different reasons that you could have the black headstock. First and foremost, since the guitar is that old, the original neck could have been broken and replaced at some point, pretty common, actually.

Second, from what I understand, things sometimes happen in the factories. For example, maybe they broke a neck on the line, are they going to scrap the whole guitar or just grab a "stock" one with a black headstock. Or, I've had 2 different 1987 RG550s in Violet Pearl, but the catalogs only show 560s in VP. So, it's entirely possible that it just came that way and was not actually shown in a catalog anywhere.

Either way, congrats on getting your DY RG550. I've had mine since brand new in 1988 (1987 serial number), and it's always been my favorite guitar. And it has the matching headstock
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-14-2006, 05:40 PM
Gex

My 1990 RG550DY has a matching headstock.

But I see alot of them on the bay with black headstocks. I dont know whats up with that.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-14-2006, 11:24 PM

I had a 1988 Roadflare red with a matching headstock and a 2000 DY reissue with matching also. I don't know which year they were all black, I remember seeing them all that way in one of the catalogs.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-16-2006, 02:13 PM

I wish they brought back the matching headstocks and possibly bright colours of the 80s/90s. No doubt they will when it comes back in style again. My biggest problem with the Prestige models is the black plain headstocks (and the plain dot inlays too). I prefer the Ibanez logo of the old RG's and the new standard RG's. I guess it has a lot to do with the market they are going for. Many that buy a prestige are probably older and prefer the laid back look.

I bought an RGT42DXTLF on Monday and I love that it has sharktooth inlays and a matching headstock. I was close to buying a 1987 RG550BK when I picked it up. It would have been a nice guitar too and I still may buy one but an RG770 is what I would really get if I had the chance.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-16-2006, 03:54 PM

Reviews: 3

I'm looking at 2 550s, one Road Flare and one white, 88 and 89 respectively, and both have black headstocks. But, I have a 88 DY that has a color matched headstock. You can't really date these guitars accurately because they may have had leftover necks from the previous year. It wasn't uncommon to buy a 550 in 89 that had a 88 serial number, so keep that in mind. Also, I know they're all original, since I bought them new all those years ago
Josh

Tags
black headstock , dot inlay , dot inlays , sharktooth inlay , sharktooth inlays

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode