Each time I put on different brand of 009-042, would the guitar need re-intonation? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-27-2009, 02:16 AM Thread Starter

Each time I put on different brand of 009-042, would the guitar need re-intonation?

Hello,

Just wondered whether each time I put on different brand of 009-042, would the guitar need re-intonation?

I just bought a 10 pack of daddario and my guitar needs a re-setup, as the tech put on the wrong string gauge.
Hes gonna put on ernie ball super slinky 009-042.
When I put on my daddario EXL120 009-042
Im not gonna have intonation problems am I?

Ben
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-27-2009, 02:31 AM

Re: Each time I put on different brand of 009-042, would the guitar need re-intonatio

theoretically, no. intonation may vary when you change string gauge and/or action height, or, but very subtedtly, when you change neck relief (but it has to be a big change).
strings of the same gauge SHOULD not alter the intonation, but you never know...
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-27-2009, 03:01 AM

Re: Each time I put on different brand of 009-042, would the guitar need re-intonatio

awkwardly i have not noticed any intonation changes on my guitar when i have raised my action and string gauge. my ibanez neck stays so straight under almost all tension intonation seems to be the last of my issues on these great necks. but theoretically it is possible but the fact i have not notice a change with all the stuff i have done i highly doubt if you have a wizard neck that changining the brand will show any intonation change that even a tuner can pickup on. i do notice when changing from ernie ball super slinkies to ghs the way i tune and set up my guitar is a bit different on the bridge. because ernie balls are way to tight and stiff. they feal good to the hand but are so non versitile when actually playing from my experience that stiffness make the bridge have to be setup a slight bit tigher on the springs thats all. so i dont think intonation is going to be any issue. but you might have to adjust your spring tension when changing companies. have fun.
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-27-2009, 07:09 AM

Damn spammers! Leave our Jemsite alone!!!
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-27-2009, 07:52 AM

in short, No

changing gauge can cause the intonation to be different, but 2 different brands of the same gauge should not need any changes. (assuming ALL the string thickness's match)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode