EB/MM JP7 Test-Drive - Going to a shop to play one right now - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-14-2001, 02:33 PM Thread Starter

EB/MM JP7 Test-Drive - Going to a shop to play one right now

A show about 2 hrs south of me has a JP7 and a JP6 in stock; both are the full monty: piezo, inlays, mystic finish, signed by JP etc.

I'll give a full report when I get back.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-14-2001, 11:32 PM Thread Starter

EB/MM JP7 Test-Drive

Well all I can say is, anyone wanna buy an autographed UV777BK?

Actually, I'll probably keep the UV, but I must say I'm blown away by the quality and playability of the JP7.

In short for direct comparison to my UV:

The quality of construction is much better. Neck joint is tighter, routing is cleaner, the finish is smoother with no waves, the routing is cleaner around the trem, the fret dress is much better, the wiring inside the control cavity is some of the best I've ever seen.

The neck is fantastic. It's actually a tad thinner then the UV neck and a tiny bit wider higher up I think (I didn't bring my UV for direct comparison). I just didn't find my self 'tripping on strings' as much. And no it's not my technique lol!

The pickups are pretty good, better then the UV's for sure (those were totally gutless) but I've never been one for keeping stock pickups anyway.

The tremolo was better then I thought. It stayed in tune as well s my Lo-Pro certainly. Although I never use the things, so I may see if they can build me a hardtail.

The body is suuuuper comfortable. That cutaway that some folks thinks looks funny sure has a purpose. You'd realize that as soon as you picked it up.

The electronics and Piezo out put have so many options. I'm not even really going to get into it because I'm too lazy to type it all out, but I generated some fantastic tones blending the Piezo and Magnetic pickups.

Overall, it seems to be of higher quality. *Everywhere little things bugged me about the UV, the JP7 was flawless.

I will keep my UV I think for backup and tonal variety, but I can easily see the JP7 becoming my #1 guitar.

I'm ordering it as soon as they straighten out a few things with EB for me (no inlays, fixed bridge if possible and slightly relocated knobs). That's one of the nice things about EB, they will customize things to this degree for no charge; or so the retailer I visited says. He told me he's done it for quite a few of the upper end EB's.

I'm sure I'll get shunned by those that seemed to just hate EB's because they were EB's or whatever.

But I'm not brand loyal and I sure as hell don't buy a guitar because someone I like plays it. This instrument just suits my needs, and that's what it's all about.

Isn't it? :biggrin:
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-14-2001, 11:38 PM

EB/MM JP7 Test-Drive

Preach on brother! *We can all learn from your example of enlightenment!
post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-14-2001, 11:45 PM Thread Starter

EB/MM JP7 Test-Drive

lol!

*hopes that wasn't sarcasm*
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-15-2001, 12:24 AM

EB/MM JP7 Test-Drive

Yeah... I'm contemplating on getting one... but haven't decided on the specs to order... I know for sure I'll get it without the JP inlays... :biggrin:
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-15-2001, 05:22 AM

EB/MM JP7 Test-Drive

Great report Jeffrey. Although I own mostly Ibanez guitars (I've owned over 20) I understand and believe your statements about the EB quality over most Ibanez guitars. I do believe that EB's smaller production allows them better quality control. I do think the J-Customs are very good though and I prefer the look of Ibanez guitars.

I am thinking about an EB JPM as well and strangely enough I was wondering if if they would consider making one without inlays. Please let me know if allow you to get this feature. The other custom thing I may ask for is the slightly narrower Silhouette 24 fret neck shape on the JPM 6 string.

However, I want to play an EB JPM first. The local Guitar Center still hasn't received one yet.

Rick
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-15-2001, 07:01 AM

EB/MM JP7 Test-Drive

Quote:
Quote: from rickboot on 5:22 am on July 15, 2001
I am thinking about an EB JPM as well and strangely enough I was wondering if if they would consider making one without inlays. Please let me know if allow you to get this feature. The other custom thing I may ask for is the slightly narrower Silhouette 24 fret neck shape on the JPM 6 string.
From what I knoe, EBMM does make them without the JP inlays... That means yours would only have dots...
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-15-2001, 12:41 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
EB/MM JP7 Test-Drive

Quote:
The quality of construction is much better. Neck joint is tighter, routing is cleaner, the finish is smoother with no waves, the routing is cleaner around the trem, the fret dress is much better, the wiring inside the control cavity is some of the best I've ever seen.
Interesting... while i expect the quality to be superb, I have no idea of the "waves" or routing problems you're chatting about.

Quote:
The tremolo was better then I thought. It stayed in tune as well s my Lo-Pro certainly. Although I never use the things, so I may see if they can build me a hardtail.
A hardtail option would be great, but there is no way this will stay in tune like a Lo-Pro... sorry. Maybe for the way YOU play it, but not the way many of us play the Edge systems.

Quote:
The body is suuuuper comfortable. That cutaway that some folks thinks looks funny sure has a purpose. You'd realize that as soon as you picked it up.
It has a purpose if you play like John... with the guitar strapped up to your chin like a bow-tie, or sitting down... or standing with your left leg on the PA system to get the guitar hiked up. For many others who play differently, the forearm will never touch the cutaway and it will be very ugly.

Quote:
Overall, it seems to be of higher quality. *Everywhere little things bugged me about the UV, the JP7 was flawless.
Glad it is 100% to your liking

Quote:
That's one of the nice things about EB, they will customize things to this degree for no charge; or so the retailer I visited says. He told me he's done it for quite a few of the upper end EB's.
Yup... a great service.

Quote:
I'm sure I'll get shunned by those that seemed to just hate EB's because they were EB's or whatever.
Why would you be shunned? I'd just be interested in reports after the honeymoon period and infatuation with the new axe is over. From what i heard live, the thing needs new pickups for starters.

Quote:
But I'm not brand loyal and I sure as hell don't buy a guitar because someone I like plays it. This instrument just suits my needs, and that's what it's all about.
THEN BUY IT ALREADY ...glen
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-15-2001, 12:44 PM
Vendor

EB/MM JP7 Test-Drive

I would certainly like to know if this dealer does get one ordered custom. I asked and was told *there must be inlays, no blank boards*. These are signature models and the signature specs have already been outlined in the available options. In other words if it's not an available option it isn't happening.
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-15-2001, 02:14 PM Thread Starter

EB/MM JP7 Test-Drive

Glenn: about the cutaway: I don't play strapped very high but the way I position my right hand really favored the cutaway. I tend to 'pin' my hand on the lower edge of the bridge pickup, this put my arm squarely in the middle of that cutaway. But it would certainly be different for different folks.

About the finish: I was referring to my UV777BK. If I hold it at an angle to a good light source and view across the reflection the finish isn't totally smooth; there is some waviness. I'm not really ****
though, so I honestly don't care (or I'd have returned it to my dealer hehe ). I was just making a point in comparison from my UV to the JP7.

Rich: the retailer said they do a lot of EB stuff (I guess it's a TX thing?) and they've had custom stuff done on other Sig models (the Albert Lee and the Luke he named), although not the JP. He was going to give them a shout Monday, I'll let you know what he tells me.

I guess it really does boil down to the difference between a smaller production group and a lager one; more control over the end product. Kind of similar to Taylor.

Anyway, I'll keep you guys posted on whatever new info I get. Namely whether or not I can get a hardtail (there may not be a bridge for it) and whether I can get it blank or not (inlay-wise).

Ciao, off to see Final Fantasy.
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-15-2001, 10:06 PM

EB/MM JP7 Test-Drive

Hey Rich, if you find out that you can get them w/out inlays I'll probably order another
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-15-2001, 10:12 PM
Vendor

EB/MM JP7 Test-Drive

What they told me was if it was not on the option list it was NOT available.
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-16-2001, 05:42 AM

EB/MM JP7 Test-Drive

Quote:
Quote: from Rich on 10:12 pm on July 15, 2001
What they told me was if it was not on the option list it was NOT available.
I remember them saying somewhere that the only option available for inlays was either the standard JP inlays or the normal boring dots... Is that true? Or did I misread it?
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-16-2001, 05:48 AM

EB/MM JP7 Test-Drive

Quote:
Quote: from jemsite on 12:41 pm on July 15, 2001
From what i heard live, the thing needs new pickups for starters.
Glenn, why do you say that???
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-16-2001, 09:19 AM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
EB/MM JP7 Test-Drive

I didn't like the tone of them live, especially with his new rig. Warm they were not. But ultimately, the owner would decide this... glen

Tags
bridge pickup , fixed bridge , fret neck , ibanez guitars , john petrucci , local guitar center , magnetic pickups , neck joint , neck shape

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode