EB/MM Petrucci - any of you Houston guys have one? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-02-2001, 03:31 PM Thread Starter

EB/MM Petrucci - any of you Houston guys have one?

I'm about to order a EB/MM Petrucci... problem is, I've not played one yet! *I have a hard time justifying the purchase without atleast having put my hands on one, although the descriptions here sound like exactly what I'm looking for. *
I'll be in Houston this weekend (8-4 to 8-5) any of you guys have one that I can look at for a second or two? *I just want to see one in person before I take the plung. * I don't think anybody near hear has one (New Orleans)... that'd be just to much if they did. *Any info would be great *Thanks *

*Kevan, Glenn, kirk.. is this even close to being in the right place? *This is one of those posts that I never really know where it should go. *:biggrin:

(Edited by oooo at 3:41 pm on Aug. 2, 2001)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-02-2001, 03:42 PM

EB/MM Petrucci

Are you coming out to Bob's place on the 4th for the JemJam?

Gabe
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-02-2001, 03:55 PM

EB/MM Petrucci

I don't have one and don't know anyone who does. *I agree with you - definitely play one before buying it. *
Out,
Gregory *
post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-02-2001, 04:03 PM

Reviews: 5
EB/MM Petrucci

I don't have one. *A friend of mine named Brad had one but traded it for a JEM777DSY and some cash a week ago. *He said it was the best deal he ever got in his life. *He liked the paint job and the pickups but that was it. *Of specific dislike were the bridge and the fretjob. *He was pissed when he found some sharp edges on the guitar. *I would be too for that kind of $$$. *He said it sounded ok but wasn't for him. *
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-02-2001, 05:44 PM Thread Starter

EB/MM Petrucci

Quote:
Quote: from Gabe Nickelson on 3:42 pm on Aug. 2, 2001
Are you coming out to Bob's place on the 4th for the JemJam?

Gabe
I'd love to... but I'm going to be in town for business and won't be able to get away but a few minutes at the most... if I'm lucky.
I hate being responsible!!!!!!!

jem7vwh... did you play the guitar? *I'm getting nervous here! *I'm having trouble finding one to play before I buy! *
As for the fret job... thats a first... every Music Man I've owned or played seemed to be awesome in the craftmanship area... especially the fret job. *Maybe it was a freak?

(Edited by oooo at 5:48 pm on Aug. 2, 2001)
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-02-2001, 07:35 PM

EB/MM Petrucci

oooo, I haven't heard any complaints about EB's craftsmanship on these guitars yet - I know the production manager there and they are FANATICAL about it being right before it ships. *But, no guitar company makes 100% perfect guitars so it's possible something could have been wrong. *Also, guitar stores have to make sure that the guitars are properly humidified. *Our store had a problem one time and PRS's, Gibsons, everything had sharp edges on the frets because of it.

Like others have suggested, I would recommend that you play one first, just to be sure you like the way it plays. *I recommend that with any guitar, but especially a more pricey one like this.
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-02-2001, 07:59 PM

EB/MM Petrucci

Quote:
Quote: from oooo on 2:31 pm on Aug. 2, 2001
I'm about to order a EB/MM Petrucci... problem is, I've not played one yet! *I have a hard time justifying the purchase without atleast having put my hands on one, although the descriptions here sound like exactly what I'm looking for. *
I'll be in Houston this weekend (8-4 to 8-5) any of you guys have one that I can look at for a second or two? *I just want to see one in person before I take the plung. * I don't think anybody near hear has one (New Orleans)... that'd be just to much if they did. *Any info would be great *Thanks *

*Kevan, Glenn, kirk.. is this even close to being in the right place? *This is one of those posts that I never really know where it should go. *:biggrin:

(Edited by oooo at 3:41 pm on Aug. 2, 2001)
Hey man..

I may have mine by Xmas and I'm going back to NOLA to see the folks and stuff, so if you haven't binged by then let me know and we can hook up. I'll bring it with me and stuff.
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-02-2001, 09:18 PM

Reviews: 5
EB/MM Petrucci

I did NOT play it. *Nor have I played enough other EB/MMs to comment on their quality control. *I'd hope and presume it was a freak accident.

With that said, I would presume this guitar is like most signature guitars. *If you like the way the endorser sound, you're likely to sound similar with the same equipment. * Now all you have to do is practice a whole whole lot.
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-03-2001, 09:58 AM Thread Starter

EB/MM Petrucci

Quote:
Quote: from jem7vwh on 9:18 pm on Aug. 2, 2001
If you like the way the endorser sound, you're likely to sound similar with the same equipment. * Now all you have to do is practice a whole whole lot.
Practice? *I thought that if I owned the guitar I'd automatically play like Petrucci!!!! * * *

Seriously, thanks for all the input, I'd never buy a guitar w/o putting my hands on one first. *Looks like I'm gonna have to wait.
Jeffrey, if I still haven't decided by Dec. *I'll definitely take you up on the offer. *thanks.
So for now, I'm still looking for one within driving distance.

Paul, I don't know if you noticed... but i posted a very similar thread on your site... under my "fake" altered identity. (enter James Bond theme music)

(Edited by oooo at 10:12 am on Aug. 3, 2001)
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-03-2001, 11:59 AM

EB/MM Petrucci

NP bud. If I get one before then and you haven't you'll know.

I'll post it here for sure.
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-05-2001, 11:00 AM Thread Starter

EB/MM Petrucci

what a waisted trip! *I managed to sneak off for about an hour and found a Guitar Center (west side of Houston) all they had was a 7vwh and a UV777Bk. *The VWH had action so high i could just about put my fingers between the strings and the fret board. *No Petrucci guitars of course, but I did play a few Axis' (would the plural be "Axi"?) Very dissapointing trip! *I'll play a petrucci yet!!!!!!
post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-05-2001, 05:33 PM

EB/MM Petrucci

oooo,
Have you played JPM's b4?

Now, someone correct me if I'm wrong....but to me and I suppose pretty much everyone, the most important thing about a guitar is it's neck.
This is what controls the heart of your playing, and for me, is always the deciding factor in buying a guitar.
I can imagine (although I must state having no experince with them at all) that the necks on the EB/MM and JPM are VERY similar.
I can't see him changing his neck shape after years with Ibanez and a guitar he was comfortable with.

Your next consideration has to be build quality, and let me assure you, EB/MM shine very brightly in this area, you will get a very well crafted instrument.

Next...sound.
You've heard him playing it with DT and G3 (I presume) so you know it ain't too far away from his older JPM era sound (although amp settings have to be taken into consideration with this, but either way, the pup's are quality).

Hardware....
Pretty much an even keel with most top end guitars, except for the trem (not a quality issue, but more a functionality issue)
JP's never been a big trem user, so I don't imagine you can batter the new trem like an Edge, but if that's not your bag then no problems.

If there is no way you can test drive it before purchase then I say find someone who offers a no quibbles exchange/refund poilcy.
But I just have this gut feeling that you won't be disappointed.

All the best with your purchase.

P.S. Guitarist gave it a pretty good review, but were disappointed with the output of the pups at lower volumes, and to quash any trem worries, they said it had a "great feel"

Steve
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-05-2001, 06:59 PM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1
EB/MM Petrucci

Quote:
Quote: from ripl3y on 12:33 pm on Aug. 5, 2001

P.S. Guitarist gave it a pretty good review, but were disappointed with the output of the pups at lower volumes, and to quash any trem worries, they said it had a "great feel"

Steve
Unfortunately I reckon "Guitarist", "review" and the phrase "trust them as far as I could through them" *all go together a little too easily
post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-05-2001, 08:26 PM

EB/MM Petrucci

See Below post (maybe I am in my own ways too)

(<I've edit/deleted this post because having re-read the thread I went way too far off topic, no doubt Vodka fuelled, > )

Cheers
Steve

(Edited by ripl3y at 4:07 am on Aug. 6, 2001)
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-06-2001, 03:49 AM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1
EB/MM Petrucci

I'm sure these guys are great teachers and fine players, but I still reckon their priorities and mine when it comes to gear are waaaaaaaaay out of synch. I don't know, maybe I'm inheriting some of Jay's fierce independence when it comes to my opinions on gear and tone

Tags
alternate picking , amp settings , ebmm jpm , edge trem , ernie ball , fret board , ibanez jem , neck shape , petrucci model , pro edge , pro edge trem , signature guitar , volume knobs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode