EBMM trem? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-03-2006, 09:30 AM Thread Starter

EBMM trem?

it seems to be a bend-down only design.
how is it? and can it be set floating?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-03-2006, 10:09 AM

Re: EBMM trem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rguser
it seems to be a bend-down only design.
how is it? and can it be set floating?
Which one? They use a bunch. JP's are floating and only available on that model. I believe Silos and Axis are dive only, with one as a vintage style and one as a Floyd.

paul
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-03-2006, 10:21 AM

The Floyds from EBMM are made by Gotoh. I have Gotoh's own version of trem in one my guitars and it's great and stable .

Regards

André

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-03-2006, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Warren
Which one? They use a bunch. JP's are floating and only available on that model. I believe Silos and Axis are dive only, with one as a vintage style and one as a Floyd.

paul
Silo and Axis use the MM Vintage trem as does the Luke...however they're not dive only...just back the springs out a little so the back of the bridge sticks up from the body and the bridge will be floating, it just doesn't have a route under it...Luke sets his guitars up like this as does jeff beck...you'll get flutter that way. I setup my Silo to dive only tho'.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-03-2006, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOrangeChannel
Silo and Axis use the MM Vintage trem as does the Luke...however they're not dive only...just back the springs out a little so the back of the bridge sticks up from the body and the bridge will be floating, it just doesn't have a route under it...Luke sets his guitars up like this as does jeff beck...you'll get flutter that way. I setup my Silo to dive only tho'.
Right, you can do that, but I've never thought of that as a "floating trem" when I did that to my Strat, for example. But I know what you mean.

Don't they still put Floyds on the Axis though, if you request it that way? Like Vinnie's, for example?

paul
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-03-2006, 11:36 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOrangeChannel
yeah, I was asking about their vintage type.
I like to have a little back play because I do slight vibrato more often then dive-down. if you hold it down on the body then you loose the smoothness around the zero point, imho.
also, the notes sound more airy when the bridge is floating.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-03-2006, 01:08 PM

Pretty much any trem that can be setup for pull-up is a floating tremolo by definition. Most Floyd routes make it floating regardless of preference.

Any of the EBMM vintage style trems will allow for some pull-up... about 1 to 1 1/2 steps... maybe 2. Any more than that and the bridge will be angled too sharply. This is plently for nice vibrato, or for cool full step "bends" with the trem instead of the fingers.

RR
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-03-2006, 01:45 PM

Don't forget the Petrucci model, which has its own trem design and it's full-floating (with routing behind it).
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-04-2006, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Warren
Right, you can do that, but I've never thought of that as a "floating trem" when I did that to my Strat, for example. But I know what you mean.

Don't they still put Floyds on the Axis though, if you request it that way? Like Vinnie's, for example?

paul
They do make Axis with floyd but it sits on the body...how is a bridge that has back pull not floating? Doing that to a strat is a completely different animal if you're strictly talking a 6 point vintage vibrato, while they might be smooth, there's more contact points so you'll never get flutter out of it....whereas with a 2 point mm trem or am standard fender trem, you're Vai on a stick...

Tags
floating tremolo , jeff beck , petrucci model , vintage style trem , vintage trem

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode