Eddie Van Halen Peavey Wolfgang. - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-23-2004, 09:53 AM Thread Starter

Eddie Van Halen Peavey Wolfgang.

Has anybody here ever played the Peavey Wolfgang. I would appreciate any valuable input about Eddie's signature guitar. I am interested in purchasing one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-23-2004, 10:15 AM

Hi!

Yes I've played both the Wolfgang and the Wolfgang special. I think the Wolfgang is much better than the Special, then again it costs more. I found it to be very like any EBMM I've tried. The neck is smooth and feels fine to me. A good guitar, no doubt about that.

Since you are the one paying and using it, only you can tell if it's a good guitar for you.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-23-2004, 10:47 AM

Does anyone own a Wolfgang Custom Deluxe?

I much prefer the archtop to the flat surface and I really want the natural finish ala:

Is it really that different from the standard? I really want the custom purely for the quilted maple top in natural finish.
post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-23-2004, 11:12 AM

If you want a "Custom Shop" Wolfgang, you better break out your credit-card!! You can go to Peaveys web-site and make your own guitar and it will tell you how much it will cost. If you really dont want anything to different from the factory version, I,d go with that. ALOT cheaper....And yes, the Wolfgang is a great guitar!!
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-23-2004, 01:03 PM

Didn't seem that bad Bob. I got that picture through the same website custom programme. Quoted something like $2400 which is £1300 at current exchange rates. That's less than my Universe cost. That doesn't take into account taxes, VAT etc but as my other choice was a VWh which are retailing at £1999 at the moment, it's not much difference.

I tend to buy high end guitars, but buy very few

I'm even tempted to trade in my Uni for it, and that's saying something. But a lot of decisions to be considered and a lot of saving left to go.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-23-2004, 02:35 PM

My probable next guitar is one very similar to the pic you posted, Ali. Mine would be transparent purple with gold hardware. I'm not sure about the birdseye, though. They're a hard guitar to find. The only models the dealers in my area carry are Korean.

Have you seen this website?
http://www.wolfgangguitars.com/index.htm
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-23-2004, 03:52 PM

Reviews: 6
Wolfgangs are great and I personally like them better than the Musicman version. Here's mine (sorry in advance for the size--working on my resizing skills as I type this):

http://onlinerock.com/musicians/robo...3/wolfgang.jpg

If you can live with a flametop instead of a quilt top you'll save yourself A LOT of money with a standard (especially if you get one used).
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-24-2004, 06:10 AM

Holy Mothers of Invention!!

Robo, that's a stunning guitar. I hope it sounds as good as it looks, and I hope you play the hell out of it.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-24-2004, 12:56 PM

Reviews: 6
Thanks! Sounds great and very different from all my other guitars which is a VERY good thing. It's also my only maple fingerboard guitar too. EVH really designed a good guitar with this one and I wouldn't change a thing!
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-27-2004, 01:23 PM

I just picked up a new Wolfgang a little over a month ago. It's the quilt top Korean in Sunburst and I love it!! There isn't anything about it I don't like. For me, the neck is always the first thing. I don't have the biggest hands, so I always play a guitar unplugged first to concentrate on the neck and then worry about sound (cause if you don't like the sound, you can always change pickups, tweek you amp, etc.). The necks on these are awesome - they feel great and I am totally hooked on maple (unfinished) necks now. But not to worry, it does sound great too. In fact, I just got a 7VWH off of eBay last week and I like the Wolfgang pickups better. Plus, the D-tuna is a nice addition. Definitely recommend it!! even the "cheap" Korean one
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-27-2004, 04:47 PM

Wasn't the EB/MM EVH guitar supposed to be one of the best guitars ever made?

Regards

André

post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-28-2004, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fettouhi
Wasn't the EB/MM EVH guitar supposed to be one of the best guitars ever made?

Regards

André
There is no "best guitar ever made".......Well maybe there is? The one that's BEST for you!!
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-01-2004, 10:17 AM

i love my Wolfie standard flame top with the trem and D-tuna. i personally would buy one of these AGAIN over a LES PAUL!!
i prefer the standard model over the special just cause the top is arched and it is easier to use the D-tuna. it is a little more difficult to pull-out the D-tuna on the flat topped vesion.

Music is something bigger and greater than myself and I'm just glad to be a part of it. -TJ

A wise man once told me, "never discuss politics or religion in a disco enviroment" -Frank Zappa
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-01-2004, 07:59 PM

I'm one of the few who prefer the Wolfgang Special to the Standard. I own five Ernie Ball Music Man Axes as well... I owned a Standard for a couple years, but let it go because I never really got along with it, but the Special that I picked up in its place is a keeper. I don't agree that the Standards are "better built" than the Specials - they do have more involved in the construction with the arched top, back neck angle and angled headstock, and they do use some nicer figured maple on the Standard neck, but just because the Special is a simpler guitar to build doesn't mean it's built to a lesser standard... That said, I've yet to play the Wolf that can touch a Music Man guitar in the fit and finish department...

The necks are very nice, but they feel nothing like an Ernie Ball Axis neck. If anything, they feel like a Steve Morse sig. neck.

my 2¢
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-02-2004, 10:27 AM

Jimi D, Since your comparing the Wolf to the Axis, How about in the "tone" department? And are you talking about the EVH/MM or the Axis? I have a Wolf and it's a keeper, but my next one may be an Axis or a EVHMM if I can afford one.........thanks

Tags
custom shop , dimarzio breed , dimarzio breeds , ebmm axis , ernie ball , floyd rose , floyd rose trem , les paul , maple fingerboard , neck angle , neck pickup , neck position , peavey wolfgang , quilted maple , signature guitar , standard neck , steve morse , wolfgang special

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode