edge 3 to lo pro edge - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-06-2006, 02:42 AM Thread Starter

Question edge 3 to lo pro edge

I have a rg5ex1. I would like to put in a lo pro edge. Can this be done as a direct replacement. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-06-2006, 03:33 AM

Re: edge 3 to lo pro edge

The guys will correct me if I'm wrong but, It doesn't retrofit.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-06-2006, 03:47 AM

Im not familiar with the model but no it wont, the lo pro is enormous and will require routing for any route.
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-06-2006, 09:35 AM

Are the Edge 3s really all that bad? They seem to be WAAY better than the TRS before them.

A step up.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-07-2006, 09:19 AM Thread Starter

I know I will need a route but do i need to fill in the screw holes and redrill. Or can I use the exsisting ones? Has anyone Tried this yet?
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-07-2006, 09:23 AM

You can use them but they wont work as well as the lo pro studs, especially if the're the locking studs. If youre going to route it, you might as well replace the studs aswell.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-07-2006, 11:30 AM

I think it'd be a benefit to everyone (including myself) if on the actual jemsite there was a compatibility chart for switching trems.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-07-2006, 01:36 PM Thread Starter

Norvan that is a great idea. Thanks for the help to everyone! now i have to get a lo pro. I just don't like the edge 3. I already wore the paint or plate off of it on the e and a saddlles. The reaction of the trem arm is great but i do not think it stays in tune as well as my old lo pro edges. For 399.00 it is not a bad guitar. I put air norton in neck and a super d. in the b. I picked it up and i was suprised at the weight then I played it. It is indo. made. I have an rg 750, us custom rg (d. l. grim reaper). this guitar can keep up I just hope it does not fall apart.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-07-2006, 07:32 PM

You will need to do some routing.

Regards

André

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-20-2006, 11:09 PM

I think someone in this forum did it before, requires a bit of sanding/filing on the front cavity.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-20-2006, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by norvan View Post
I think it'd be a benefit to everyone (including myself) if on the actual jemsite there was a compatibility chart for switching trems.
i'm pretty sure

only the lo pro and edge are inter-changable

and an OFR with the lo trs

every thing else will require some routing
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-21-2006, 01:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ke^in View Post
Are the Edge 3s really all that bad? They seem to be WAAY better than the TRS before them.

A step up.
I agree with you. I have a RG320FM [Dimarzio Super Distortion (B), and a PAF-Pro (N)], and even though I don't go that wild with the whammy, the tunning stability of the Edge 3 (at least on my guitar) is pretty good. Dive bombs are of no consequence to it, and only after I pull up about a dozen times, the G and B strings are slightly out of tune. But when that happens I always retune them before the next song I practice. It is acceptable until I buy a Prestige.

Based on my usage, I give the Edge 3 an eight out of ten. YMMV.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-21-2006, 10:08 PM

Well, the EdgeIII may bound to fail in time depending on the use, since its not as strong as the better Edges. Prior to good setup, it should hold for quite sometime.

My ILT1 is still holding up great, despite all the abuse and whatnot.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-22-2006, 02:10 AM

Cool Re: edge 3 to lo pro edge

I have to ask some stupid questions?

What is an Edge 3? The Edge Tremolo comes in numbers?

My 88' 760 had the Edge tremolo and then I put in the Edge Low Profile. Which was not completely compatible. I had to leave the old "studs" but since it was a knife edge I didn't think it mattered.

The Low Profile is much better then the original Edge.

So, what does my 2005 Saber 470 have in it? Is it an Edge?

I am confused. Maybe a tremolo side forum is needed.

I will tell you that my Saber 470's tremolo rocks even though it is cheap. It looks like its on a hinge type floating system. I love it.

Anyway, sorry for the questions but I was curious.

junkdk
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-22-2006, 02:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by junkdk View Post
I have to ask some stupid questions?

What is an Edge 3? The Edge Tremolo comes in numbers?

My 88' 760 had the Edge tremolo and then I put in the Edge Low Profile. Which was not completely compatible. I had to leave the old "studs" but since it was a knife edge I didn't think it mattered.

The Low Profile is much better then the original Edge.

So, what does my 2005 Saber 470 have in it? Is it an Edge?

I am confused. Maybe a tremolo side forum is needed.

I will tell you that my Saber 470's tremolo rocks even though it is cheap. It looks like its on a hinge type floating system. I love it.

Anyway, sorry for the questions but I was curious.

junkdk
They did away with the edge and lo pro in 2003 for copyright reasons i think, someone else could give you the exact reason.

They have 3 new double locking trems now they go.

1) Edge pro

2) Edge pro 2

3) Edge 3

Like every thing else with Ibanez and some othr companys, the quality goes down when number go up. So edge 3 is the worst

Tags
air norton , dimarzio super distortion , edge trem , floating trems , locking stud , locking studs , locking trems , pro edge , super distortion , trem arm

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode