Edge? I don't need no stinkin' Edge! - Lesser known but wort - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-11-2001, 10:03 AM Thread Starter

Edge? I don't need no stinkin' Edge! - Lesser known but wort

I bought 2 used Ibanez guitars this past week and had to comment on my experiences. I have the Edge base covered with a sweet RG and wanted to expand the pointy-headstock herd with a single-coil based axe and wound up scoring a 542R and a 430SII. Both have a 2-point trem setup with locking tuners and composite nuts and I am amazed at how well the stay in tune, even when subjected to total string-flopping dives. The 430 has 3 S1 singles that sound pretty good but are, of course, hideously noisy. The 542 has SB1 and SB2 dual-blade singles that simply rip! I also really like the feel of the Radius body(Alder in this case)and the beefy neck of the 542. The 430 has a Wizard neck(one piece, very slight tilt-back) and the standard S-type Mahogany body. I'm gonna go for the total beef on the S and drop in some DiMarzios(Fast Track 2 and 1 and a Chopper). This just proves to me that the Japanese made Ibanez guitars are consistently the best made imported axes I have ever played and some of the more obscure models are worth seeking out when a different flavor is desired. My Ibanez family now includes a Lawsuit Les Paul Custom copy(Norton/P.A.F. Pro), an '83 Artist, and the above mentioned axes. I will now wait for the bank account to get fat again and seek out the Jem of my dreams(call me goofy, but the VBK really does it for me). Ibanez simply rules the known universe!(no pun intended). * * * * * Z
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-11-2001, 10:45 AM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1
Edge? I don't need no stinkin' Edge!

I agree about the pointy headstock - single coil models they did in the past. I love 'em

I also *really* liked the telecaster type prototype the made for Satch around the "time machine" album
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-11-2001, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Quote: from zoner on 10:03 am on July 11, 2001
...wound up scoring a 542R...
ARRGGGHHHH!!!!!! Where'd you find this??????? :shocked: :shoot: -->ZONER
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-11-2001, 01:15 PM Thread Starter

Spiral, I did a "buy it now" on E-bay and probably paid too much, but I REALLY like it so I guess it was worth it to me, plus it came in a nice Prestige Deluxe case! It is the same white as the JS1000WH. * * * * * * *Z
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-12-2001, 02:23 AM

Quote:
Quote: from zoner on 1:15 pm on July 11, 2001
I did a "buy it now" on E-bay and probably paid too much, but I REALLY like it so I guess it was worth it to me...
Yeah... I love the R series... I've got one... a 440R made in Japan 1992... beautiful axe... and the neck, if you notice, is actually the same radius profile as a JPM... very comfortable guitar to play...

You lucky sod you... Are there anymore??? :biggrin:
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-12-2001, 02:26 AM Thread Starter

Spiral, this is the only one I have ever run across personally, so just keep your eyes open.

Z
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-13-2001, 04:21 AM

I use to own a 430 S II with triple singles...real resonent body and nice feel to that simple trem like you said.

I stripped it down and found a Mahogony body hiding inside under the red with only a very minor flaw on the back.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-13-2001, 05:18 AM

Quote:
Quote: from zoner on 2:26 am on July 12, 2001
Spiral, this is the only one I have ever run across personally, so just keep your eyes open.

Z
You said the 542R didn't come with an Edge??? My 440R has an Edge on it... that's weird... and also, isn't the wood supposed to be basswood? and not alder?
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-13-2001, 07:50 AM

hey u know what bridge comes with a 540R?..i saw a catalog and it has an Edge on it...but mine came with the lo pro..
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-13-2001, 08:30 AM

Every 540R I've seen has the standard edge. (I've owned 2, handled a few others, and watched a few on eBay). *But that's the standard version. *The 540RLTD (sharkfin inlays, wizard neck w/binding, H-S-H pups) may have had a lo pro. *That was the last new 540 I saw before they went all JS on me, but it's been a while & I forget...
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-13-2001, 10:28 AM Thread Starter

Well, the 542R is a little different animal in that it has an Alder body with a neck that is of the Viper persuasion rather than a Wizard - this is very much like the JS profile to my hands. It also has the oval Abalone inlay with the "Custom Made" inlay like many of the 540S guitars. The trem is called the TZ6 I think. I really like the pickups, they are the same singles that came on the RBM2 I had. I'll put a photo up in the photo section.
Z

(Edited by zoner at 10:39 am on July 13, 2001)
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-13-2001, 12:09 PM
Vendor

Both, all models post 91' got the Lo Pro unless the Edge was specified in their design.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-13-2001, 01:50 PM

Two words:

WANT ONE!
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-14-2001, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Quote: from zoner
I really like the pickups, they are the same singles that came on the RBM2 I had.
Actually, they're the same singles as found on the RBM1 and RBM400 - the RBM2 had EMGs... but I agree with you that they are very nice pups :biggrin:

Jim [size=-2:4d3783fecc](resident RBM freak, even tho' he doesn't currently own one {sigh!})[/size:4d3783fecc]

Tags
alder body , coil mode , ibanez guitars , les paul , les paul custom , locking tuners , mahogany body , mahogony body , pointy headstock , sharkfin inlays

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode