Edge III ? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 70 (permalink) Old 01-21-2005, 12:08 PM Thread Starter

Edge III ?

hey i saw this on the ibanez site...it's on the lower end guitars.

http://www.ibanez.com/guitars/guitar.asp?model=RG320FM

did they just rename the Edge Pro II or is this something new?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 70 (permalink) Old 01-21-2005, 12:39 PM

Re: Edge III ?

the bridge looks like the edge two to me...
post #3 of 70 (permalink) Old 01-21-2005, 12:56 PM

Rich said that it's like an original Edge version of the Edge Pro II.
post #4 of 70 (permalink) Old 01-21-2005, 01:26 PM

I'm betting that it's going to be to the Edge Pro II, what the Lo TRS II was to the Lo TRS. A crappy, but servicable version of the Pro II. Hopefully we'll get the full scoop, soon.
post #5 of 70 (permalink) Old 01-21-2005, 04:20 PM

it reminds me of the LoTRS II...
post #6 of 70 (permalink) Old 01-21-2005, 04:34 PM

It's a non-low-profile Edge Pro II. Same junky metal, new shape.
post #7 of 70 (permalink) Old 01-21-2005, 07:49 PM

It looks to be cast like the Edge, not stamped like the TRS II, and appears to have replacable knife edges, the lack of which was the major downfall of the TRS ... interesting.

post #8 of 70 (permalink) Old 02-04-2005, 07:41 PM

Has anyone tried a guitar equiped with an Edge III yet? I'm planning on getting a Korean rg but I I'm not sure if I should get one with an Edge Pro II or an Edge III.
post #9 of 70 (permalink) Old 02-04-2005, 11:32 PM

You know, two new mystery-metal tremolos that won't stay in tune would be enough for most companies. For what they spent on new tooling for the third, they probably could have fixed the two they have right now and went back to using locking studs. --Jason
post #10 of 70 (permalink) Old 02-05-2005, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkahrs
You know, two new mystery-metal tremolos that won't stay in tune would be enough for most companies. For what they spent on new tooling for the third, they probably could have fixed the two they have right now and went back to using locking studs. --Jason
Unlikely that Ibanez is going to fix this little 'mishab'!

Regards

André

post #11 of 70 (permalink) Old 02-09-2005, 08:09 AM

I have an RG370 with an Edge pro 2 and tuning stability isn't very good. Seems that Ibanez has gone cost reduction mad and they've come up with the 3 - I'd be surprised of ot was any good!!
post #12 of 70 (permalink) Old 02-09-2005, 11:59 AM
Vendor

The EDGE III is Ibanez' way of avoiding the $17 fee to Floyd for every trem.

When the patent ran out everybody thought it was a free for all and designed new trems. Ibanez designed the Edge Pro. Well, FR still has a patent on the Lo Pro design until 2007. He went after everybody who's design impenged on the LP design, and won. Ibanez had to pay a $250,000 fine, and they still have to pay Floyd $17 per trem, both EP and EPII. That's why they designed the EDGE III, because it's based on the EDGE and not the Lo Pro. Expect to see it on more models next year.
post #13 of 70 (permalink) Old 02-09-2005, 02:38 PM

Any idea if it's any good?

After setting up a couple of slabs of wood with the EPII I can say I'm not very happy with that one . . . sure it's a step up from the Low TRS, but I wouldn't ever want one on one of my personal guitars . . .

I'm guessing that the EP III is made of the same materials as the EPII, so "'tain't gonna" make a lot of people happy.

I've always perferred the original Edge anyway . . . so the new guitars really don't appeal to me to begin with. :-)

Mic
post #14 of 70 (permalink) Old 02-09-2005, 11:39 PM

Sounds to me like they should have just stayed with the design of the original Edge in the first place. When the patent on the LP design runs out, come back out with a LP Edge. I wonder how many inserts and locking studs $250,000 would have bought? --Jason
post #15 of 70 (permalink) Old 02-09-2005, 11:45 PM

Even tho its the "Edge III"... isnt it a really good trem? I mean I'm glad they designed those instead of going with those horrible TRS trems and such. I mean figuring its Ibanez's Edge tremolo's, they have got to be good right?

Tags
allen wrench , arm holder , edge bridge , edge iii trem , edge pro iii , edge pro trem , edge pro trems , edge trem , edge trems , fixed bridge , floyd rose , ibanez guitars , ibanez models , ibanez trem , kramer baretta , locking stud , locking stud mod , locking studs , low trs , music store , pro edge , schaller floyd rose , sounding guitar , steve vai , string lock , trem guitar , trem height , tremolo system , trs bridge , trs trems

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode