Edge III swap for another Edge model trem? - Page 2 - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-24-2005, 08:44 PM

Re: Edge III swap for another Edge model trem?

They didn't have to pay a licensing fee for the original Edge because i'm pretty sure they put it out after the patent on the OFR had run out. They have to pay a fee for their Edge Pro/II trems because they violated the copyright on the lo-pro floyd. This is why many think Ibanez has come out with the Edge III trem. Since it's modeled after the original Edge then it doesn't infringe upon the copyright of the lo-pro floyd so they don't have to pay any fees on them. But I honestly don't know why they stopped making the Original Edge. I personally have never seen one up close on a guitar and played it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-24-2005, 08:52 PM

Actually they had been paying Rose from day one for the Edge and the Low Pro Edge, that's why it says so right on the trems. The original Edge came out in 86, I think, maybe before, someone else can give the correct date.

They had been paying right up until 2003 when the patent ran out, BUT, the patent for the low profile is still in effect I believe until 2007. They weren't aware of this, I'm guessing, and didn't want to have to pay Rose a fee for trems their lowest-end guitars, thus cutting into the slim profit they have on them already, so they reverted back to an original style design to avoid the fee.

They'll still have to pay on the Edge Pro and Edge Pro II, those are low profile style trems, but they don't have to pay a dime for the Edge III, since the patent on the Original Floyd has run out.

Mic
post #18 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-24-2005, 09:43 PM

What I'm trying to figure out is whether or not the locking stud mod will work on the Edge III. Rich says on his website that it the mod will work on the Edge Pro II but in some thread he just said that someone with the Edge Pro II ordered the kit and he said it didn't work.
post #19 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-24-2005, 11:55 PM
Vendor

Site corrected.

Always believe what I say last, not first
post #20 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-25-2005, 12:56 AM

Yeah, I remember that thread. I asked if the mod would work on the Edge III and he said that it wouldn't. It's weird, though. The guitars have been out for a while, yet we've heard nothing about anyone trying to retrofit a different trem into an Edge III. But hey, maybe the person who's over this site will update their trem page pretty soon and include the specs on all of the Ibanez trems for comparative purposes.
post #21 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-25-2005, 01:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich
Site corrected.

Maybe I'm asking for too much, but do you think you could get locking studs for the korean trems?
post #22 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-25-2005, 01:20 AM
Vendor

AFAIK they are not made.
post #23 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-25-2005, 01:56 AM

Going off on a tangent........Rich, what's your opinion of the ZR tremolo?
post #24 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-25-2005, 02:31 AM
Vendor

It's a great design that's been further improved by the back half redesign with less complicated rails and the thumb screw adjuster. Although, the downshifter works like a turd and sticks up in a bad spot.
post #25 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-25-2005, 08:15 PM

Quote:
It's a great design that's been further improved by the back half redesign with less complicated rails and the thumb screw adjuster. Although, the downshifter works like a turd and sticks up in a bad spot.
Hey Rich,

This is also a little off topic, but just out of curiosity would you be able to modify an RG body to hold a ZR tremolo? The reason I ask is because i'd like to try that on my next guitar and i'd gladly buy it from you if you'd do that kind of work at a reasonable price.
post #26 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-25-2005, 10:25 PM
Vendor

The trem will directly mount I believe. The back would require routing to add all the resistence part. Bottom line I don't do mods, too busy to worry about them.
post #27 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-04-2005, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Site corrected.

good advice will be to start reading from the end.
post #28 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-12-2005, 06:26 AM

speaking of edge III's, anybody know where i can get a trem bar for one? i just got a rg 350dx and it didnt come with one!
post #29 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-28-2008, 08:51 AM

Reviews: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by lespaulreedsmith View Post
Got me a RG320FM amber with a cool fat looking flame pattern but after years of playing 'real' Edge and lo pro Edge model trems on my Jems and some of my other Ibanez's I am not just 100% knocked out with the Edge III. What Edge trems will retrofit the Edge III? Will the 'original' Edge? The Lo pRo Edge? Anyone know?
I still love my 'original' Edge trems...
I did this modification yesterday, hope the info helps.
Its a Xiphos guitar (XPT 700 RC) with an edge 3 trem, I swapped it out for a lo-pro edge.
It required a tiny bit of sanding with a dremmel to make the trem socket at the back big enough to accomodate the new trem. I didn't change the trem bolt/poles where the knife edges sit and it seems to have taken it fine.

http://www.d1m3b4g.com/Xiphos/Xiphos...dgeNoFlash.jpg

http://www.d1m3b4g.com/Xiphos/XiphosLoProEdgeFlash.jpg

I did a pic with the flash and without, hopefully the method of both will show how much you need to sand off to give the trem the ability to move properly in the slot. It really is minimal and the hassle to change the trem is not much at all.

I can't comment on a normal edge pro trem I've not tried one of those.

Paul
post #30 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-28-2008, 07:40 PM

Reviews: 120

Awesome stuff. It's good to see that it's fairly minor surgery to retrofit the Lo-Pro. Looks a little tight at the back end of the trem though. It's not catching at all is it?

Tags
edge iii trem , edge pro bridge , edge pro bridges , edge pro iii , edge trem , edge tremolo system , edge trems , equipped guitar , floyd rose , ibanez catalog , ibanez trem , locking stud , locking stud mod , locking studs , pro edge , tremolo system , trs trems

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode