Edge III swap for another Edge model trem? - Page 3 - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-28-2008, 09:58 PM

Reviews: 21
Re: Edge III swap for another Edge model trem?

Yeah its quite minor, literally in the 4 places where I needed to sand the instrument down I took off about 2 mil in wood with a Dremmel multi tool and sanding attachment. The spacing is so similar I was chuffed when I tried the trem in the slot.

Around the side wings of the trem where the trem arm goes in and its opposite side I had to take off about 2mil off the corners. Then I realised I needed to sand off the corners at the very back where the tuning dials are so that it didnt catch on the sides. The thing moves quite freely within the space now and its holding tune fine from what I can tell.

Well worth doing!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 40 (permalink) Old 08-16-2008, 07:54 AM

Can you tell me where you needed to sand? and maybe some pictures of where you needed to sand too.
thanks
post #33 of 40 (permalink) Old 08-17-2008, 01:39 AM

I successfully replaced two Edge Pro IIs with Original Edge trems. The Tail portion of the cavity had to be extended to accomodate the lock screws, and I had to clear the front corners by the posts to clear the fron portion of the wings.

I'm going to be doing an Edge III to Edge retrofit in the somehwat near future. I will post my findings.

Please note that both of the swaps I did intonated perfectly for A-440. I don't know if there is enough travel to intonate for other tunings.
post #34 of 40 (permalink) Old 08-20-2008, 05:01 AM

some pictures would help too

thanks
post #35 of 40 (permalink) Old 08-20-2008, 07:31 PM

Reviews: 120

If you get yourself an Edge trem and put it by your guitar it's pretty obvious where you need to sand. Most probably a little at the back of the cavity, and a little on the sides.
post #36 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-06-2009, 11:18 PM

Okay... So, I know this was done on a xiphos guitar but could this be done with a ibanez rg350ex? I love this guitar but I'm weary of the edge III. I have a Edge lo-pro that I can swap the III with it... thanks for letting us know!
post #37 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-14-2009, 06:10 PM

Here's a link to a thread at the Ibanez forum where I posted pics of an RG-350 EX (which had an Edge III) with an OFR. I installed this as a drop-in replacement bridge for a student a couple of years ago.

http://forum.ibanez.com/Default.aspx?g=posts&t=75408

I updated the thread with pics after basically being called a liar about getting an OFR into a 350. LOL
post #38 of 40 (permalink) Old 08-25-2017, 10:57 PM

Will an ibanez edge iii replace an ibanez edge pro II?
post #39 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-21-2017, 05:00 PM

I am new to this cool site and am not allowed to post links yet, but here is a site that goes over what trems are interchangeable based on the cavity - and thus which trem your axe came with. You'll have to copy and paste ten add the www as I can't put up links and pics yet.

sevenstring.org/threads/trem-replacement-swap-guide-what-trem-will-fit-what-cavity.236457/]Trem Replacement/Swap Guide - What Trem will fit what cavity | SevenString.org[/url]
post #40 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-21-2017, 07:11 PM

What I've found in my searches for a replacement for the Edge III and Edge Pro II is to replace it with an Edge Pro. I've done the Edge Pro II so far and the Edge Pro fits right in with no problems and works great.

I'll be doing the Edge III in about a week. I anticipate no problems. These are both on Ibanez RGT42 neck thru guitars.

I hope this helps out and good luck with your project.

C-YA!

Tags
edge iii trem , edge pro bridge , edge pro bridges , edge pro iii , edge trem , edge tremolo system , edge trems , equipped guitar , floyd rose , ibanez catalog , ibanez trem , locking stud , locking stud mod , locking studs , pro edge , tremolo system , trs trems

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in