Edge Pro arm holder loosens by itself (weird) - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-19-2010, 08:51 AM Thread Starter

Edge Pro arm holder loosens by itself (weird)

yeah so what happens is when I put the whammy bar on and play it for a while the arm holder loosens a bit(it turns by itself)and even when I tighten it to the max(using a flathead screwdriver)it loosens again...also I should say that the holder is like 1 mm above the baseplate of the trem

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-19-2010, 09:25 AM

Re: Edge Pro arm holder loosens by itself (weird)

There should be a nut below the baseplate....Try putting a drop of loctite on that and retightening it. With it tightened up at the top and with that nut underneath, it really shouldn't move. Alternatively, you can do what I did and put an OFR arm into the guitar. It's 100x better with this setup. I have always hated that stock IBZ bar.

Here is an article on it by Stew....which was very helpful when I did mine! I ordered my bar from a place called stewmac.com

http://www.jemsite.com/forums/f21/re...s-34038-5.html
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-19-2010, 10:50 AM Thread Starter

thank you very much PBgas!I'll try it and see

BTW do you know a place where I can order that part in Europe?
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-19-2010, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBGas View Post
There should be a nut below the baseplate....Try putting a drop of loctite on that and retightening it. With it tightened up at the top and with that nut underneath, it really shouldn't move. Alternatively, you can do what I did and put an OFR arm into the guitar. It's 100x better with this setup. I have always hated that stock IBZ bar.

Here is an article on it by Stew....which was very helpful when I did mine! I ordered my bar from a place called stewmac.com

http://www.jemsite.com/forums/f21/re...s-34038-5.html
I know that you have a few JC's, so instead of creating another thread, is there any way that you know of to keep an Edge Zero tremolo arm absolutely tight?
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-20-2010, 07:25 PM

Mine haven't loosened as of yet....if you are talking about the trem arm mount. If that is the case with yours, then the same procedure would apply. You'll have to take out the trem from the body, loosen the nut below the base and above it and then put some kind of thread locker in there and retighten both nuts above and below. I've had mine for a couple of years now and I use them daily. They've stayed tight, thankfully!

However, As far as keeping the arm tight in the socket, I haven't had that issue to deal with as of yet. You tighten the collar a bit more to keep it from swinging, but you probably know that, already.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-22-2010, 12:53 PM

Reviews: 2

I had the same problem but got it fixed by warming up those nylon washers for ~5 seconds over the open flame without removing them from the arm. It makes them expand and harden a bit which helps alot.
Sounds crazy, but it fixed mine. I read that somewhere here, can't remember the thread.

Cheers
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-17-2010, 06:20 AM

Reviews: 2

i had this with my edge pro equiped universe and rg black white marble swirl, and a new lo-pro edge. using a screw driver wont do anything what you have to do, is slacken the strings. put som blue tack on to the trem posts to stop em moving if you want your set up to remain the same, as the edge pro ones dont lock like the old ones (progress eh!) right now you have done that. take the back plate off (remember slacken strings first.)
then unscrew the spring retainer bar off the back of the block, then take springs off. then while doing this take care when turning guitar back over as you trem unit is free to swing out and hit you or the guitar. and it will still be attached to strings (you can leave em on) right now you should have the trem unit in your hands and guitar on your lap. studdy the arm holder and you will notice that is is held in place by a big nut this is the problem. get a monkey wrench on it and tighten it up. and you wont have a problem again and the trem will be much more responsive as you would hope it is. i had to do this last weekend with my universe. and i smile alot more now. its fun.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-22-2010, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBGas View Post
There should be a nut below the baseplate....Try putting a drop of loctite on that and retightening it. With it tightened up at the top and with that nut underneath, it really shouldn't move. Alternatively, you can do what I did and put an OFR arm into the guitar.
Is it possible to put an Edge/LoPro/EP arm into an EZ?
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-22-2010, 12:43 AM
Banned

Reviews: 98

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathmetallist3 View Post
thank you very much PBgas!I'll try it and see

BTW do you know a place where I can order that part in Europe?
Rich ships international, so he is the one to inquire. He has just about every Ibanez part you can think of, and is a top-notch fellow! When I need a part, he's the only one I'll deal with. In fact, I keep Rich on the same loyalty pedestal as Ibanez and DiMarzio.

Tags
arm holder , edge pro

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode