edge pro finish wearing off - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-06-2004, 02:07 PM Thread Starter

edge pro finish wearing off

is there a way to prevent this i got my guitar about a month and a half back and the edge of the trem towards the low E seems to be wearing off revealing the silver colour underneath
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-06-2004, 02:15 PM

is it cosmo black? ive found that finish wears off pretty fast
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-06-2004, 03:36 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
no way to stop it, short of stop playing the axe ...glen
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-06-2004, 03:44 PM Thread Starter

its not black its that greyish one i dunno what its called and i so wish there was a way to stop it i cant belive the fact that its happening
so fast
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-06-2004, 10:15 PM

i have a powder chrome (which is the flat dark gray) on my 3120 and cosmo black (which is the really dark chrome) on my 8527 and both wear off fast. think of it as character for your guitar.. shows that you play a lot i woudln't really worry about it. if you're more than 4 feet from it.. you can't tell
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-07-2004, 12:16 AM

I don't have any wear on my black Edge on my 550, and I play it all the time. Maybe it's because I play significantly closer to the neck than most other people.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-07-2004, 01:21 AM

Black is not Cosmo Black...

Cosmo has seemed to wear alot more than any black ones. The flat grey stuff is pretty cool actually on the powder coated ones. That's on the 1077XL's and I love the way it's wearing... It looks used a bit and this guitar is quite beat...
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-07-2004, 10:32 AM

I didn't say it was. However, what exactly is the difference?
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-07-2004, 10:42 AM

powder chrome is flat gray

cosmo black is like regular chrome (like a chrome engine) but darker. other than that i don't know how to explain it. shiny dark gray

and of course. black is just painted black..
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-07-2004, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Grindfiend
I didn't say it was. However, what exactly is the difference?
I don't think you meant what's the actual difference, you mean what difference does it make, right?

Black and Chrome are the most wear-resisitant, and it's the way they're plated and the thickness. Gold, Cosmo, Powder, etc. are all "effects-style" plating where one plating is done and then the top coating is real thin just for the effect. Like in Cosmo it's almost like chrome with a thin tint on top. The cosmo wears quickly. Gold is usually applied very thin too. So you could play two guitars equally and the black would take much longer to wear, if at all. I like the idea of lacquering over the plating in high traffic areas. Ibanez did that on their "White Gold" hardware from the Prolines. It really extends the life. I think Cosmo has or had lacquer at one point because I've seen it flake off. But then other pieces don't have it. You'd have to determine if yours had something on it before you took it apart and sprayed clear over it. But that could be the best remedy. They even make an epoxy based brass finish thats excellent. If I was getting anything new Cosmo I'd spray it. I spray most of my gold hardware. Schaller and others actually put orange tint into the spray to enhance the gold plating. I think Schaller's gold is the best out there.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-07-2004, 01:15 PM

I've never played a guitar with cosmo black hardware, so I didn't quite know how it was different from regular black.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-07-2004, 02:27 PM

The cosmo black on my 2027 has worn a bit on the top side of the trem. The edge of the slanted trem baseplate (main trem body) is just a TAD worn... hardly at all, and the two top-most string holding mechanisms are worn to a plain looking chrome.

Doesn't hinder play in the least (of course) and gives the guitar character. Goes well with the few dings and chips I've put in it over the last 2 years.

Tags
cosmo black hardware

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode