Edge pro setup question - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-03-2007, 11:19 PM Thread Starter

Edge pro setup question

I recently purchased an RG1570 and this is my first floating bridge instrument. I am discovering just how much of a nightmare these things can be. I attempted to follow a poorly written guide to tune the guitar out of the box and ended up pulling the bridge up more and more without having any luck getting it in tune. The guitar was going in for setup the next day so I just gave up on it and waited. I picked the guitar back up and all was well. I spoke with the tech briefly about floating bridges and how to do certain things which helped some. It appears that the bridge may be slightly raised at the back over what it should be even after setup, but I'm not sure how flush it should be or if there is any kind of standard for this. I'd like to get some feedback from those more knowledgeable than me...

The guitar seems to play perfectly and I can find no other issues aside from possibly this bridge level issue. I still can't tune the damned thing, but at least I can play it now! Hopefully I can find some better guides, since it would be nice to be able to tune my instrument.

Thanks for any input anyone can provide.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-03-2007, 11:29 PM

Re: Edge pro setup question

http://www.ibanezrules.com/tech/setup/index.htm

Everything you'll ever need concerning a floating bridge.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-04-2007, 06:45 AM

You'd almost might want to raise the bridge humbucker a tad there, unless you like it that way.
post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-04-2007, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drow Swordsman View Post
http://www.ibanezrules.com/tech/setup/index.htm

Everything you'll ever need concerning a floating bridge.
Yeah, Ibanezrules.com is brilliant. I just got my first floating bridge guitar and that site has taught me so much. I'm normally really scared to fiddle with things but now I have a load of confidence to tinker with my RG now.

Reece

Oh, welcome to jemsite Knee Dragger!
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-04-2007, 08:22 AM

Knee Dragger, check out that link they posted. Anyway on the other hand, your tremolo level is way high up. the edge pro trem should be perfectly straight to the direction of the strings/body. check out ur manual that came with the guitar, there's a diagram there i think. and check out ibanezrules for tips on how to tune it/setup.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-04-2007, 01:28 PM

Reviews: 18
Smile Re: Edge pro setup question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knee Dragger View Post

Thanks for any input anyone can provide.
Dragger,

By looking at the picture, I can see that the front of the trem is sitting way too low..

1 loosen the top nut (by the headstock)
2 raise the trem enough so the top of the knife edge (little rectagle on each side of the trem), is parallel with the top of the trem cavity
3 unscrew the back plate for the trem
4 tighten the spring claw screws into the body so the trem is level (you'll know when it's level by looking at the knife edges (they will be totally parallel to the body)

Look at Rich's site for illustrations and refer to the trem page on jemsite for pics of the edge pro so you can see what the knife edge looks like. Here are a few of pics from the page:

Look at this one for an example of how the trem should look when is leveled and use it for comparison against yours

I hope this helps

Jimmy

Last edited by jb4674; 03-04-2007 at 01:38 PM.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-04-2007, 02:18 PM

In the back cavity are 2 screws, it is a matter of guess work, turn them and retune until the knife edge is parralell with the body, and the strings are in perfect tune, i did it all myself and i am only 14!
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-04-2007, 04:04 PM

yep, front needs to be raised, back lowered, and overall leveled out
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-04-2007, 04:08 PM

A small tip, though, is to see that if your bridge is raised by more than just-a-bit tune the strings to be flat by several semitones (sometimes just a quarter-tone) or sharp if the bridge is too low.

That way when you set the screws, you have more chance that you get the rough tuning right. Otherwise, you might play endlessly with the tension balance. That's how I almost killed myself once
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-05-2007, 05:38 PM

Reviews: 1

that link is the key to a perfect setup... read it like 3 or more times and you'll be a Rich padawan !!! haha
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-05-2007, 09:32 PM

In addition to Rich's site linked above, you might want to check Dan Erlewine's electric guitar setup DVD; he adjusts a Jem bridge on there on has some shortcuts...just fabulous info...
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-06-2007, 03:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_B View Post
you might want to check Dan Erlewine's electric guitar setup DVD; he adjusts a Jem bridge on there on has some shortcuts...just fabulous info...
too bad he's adjusting a Lo-TRS trem in there, and he lowers the retainer-bar AFTER he tuned the guitar. but anyway he's got some nice tricks overall.
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-06-2007, 03:51 AM
Dee

Nuno, how low do you personally set your retainer bar? I thought I'd ask because you're a setup guy. Mine goes out of tune when the nut is locked. Is the bar too high?
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-06-2007, 07:07 PM

Reviews: 1

why does he lower the retainer bar...? what is the purpose of it?
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-07-2007, 03:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee View Post
Nuno, how low do you personally set your retainer bar? I thought I'd ask because you're a setup guy. Mine goes out of tune when the nut is locked. Is the bar too high?
yep. you want the strings to *lay* right on t he nut's top, throughout its lenght, front to back. if your retainer bar isn't low enough, the strings would *take-off* while they reach the headstock side of the nut base. that's why they go out of tune when you lock the nut pads. and that's when you got to lower the retainer bar, and you do it until all the strings make contact with the headstock side of the nut.

anyway, sometimes happens that the strings would go out of tune when you lock the pads even though you've lowered the retainer bar low enough: that's because sometimes the pads (especially the low-E and A pad) would *twist* in place as you tighten their bolts. i'm sure Rich talks about it somewhere in his site.

he suggests to give the bolt a smooth "jerk" to minimize the twist on the pads. i usually slip something small enough to fit the air space between the pads, so that to lock'em in place while i tighten them, for example a small screwdriver flat tip, like that:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironjose View Post
why does he lower the retainer bar...? what is the purpose of it?
as above.

Tags
bridge hum , bridge humbucker , claw screws , dan erlewine , edge pro trem , electric guitar , floating bridges , floyd rose , locking nut , nut pads , retainer bar , string tree , truss rod , truss rod cover

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode