Edge Pro vs. Edge III - Page 2 - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-31-2007, 10:21 PM
eg

Re: Edge Pro vs. Edge III

How does the Edge III compare with the previous LoTRS?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-31-2007, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Force2BRW View Post
So the only main difference is how long it lasts? If so, what is the approximate length difference? And its VERY hard to find used 5xx and 7xx...
the low line ibanez are dog**** compared to prestige.. dont be a cheap son of a biatch, just save the extra money
post #18 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-01-2007, 02:13 AM

Dont say that. Just because it isnt prestige it doesnt mean that it is ****. They are still acceptable guitars. Some people just dont wanna save up more or maybe in his circumstances he cant get a 550. And if you recommend it so much at least post him a link where he can buy one. Instead of posting stuff lik that.

Last edited by TheBoss84; 08-01-2007 at 02:23 AM.
post #19 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-01-2007, 02:23 AM

BTW: if you can find a RG5XX or RG7XX or any other for that matter with an edge, you will have an awesome guitar. But if you cant get that and get a RG3XX youre certainly not getting a really bad instrument.

This one seems really nice. item number:270149979368

If you decide to bid or something or something happens im not responsable i just gave you the link:P

Last edited by TheBoss84; 08-01-2007 at 02:35 AM.
post #20 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-01-2007, 02:43 AM Thread Starter

hey thanks a lot guys. I really appriciate the input. I am still relatively new to guitar, and am trying to save up to get a nicer guitar, but I don't exactly want to buy a nicer guitar until am good enough to warrant getting one. Right now i only have a '51 Squier reissue that i bought at a local guitar shop. It's not a terrible instrument, and is suitable for my skill level. But after lots of research i found that Ibanez is the best suited guitar for my interests (hard rock, metal, and punk), and i really wanted a quality tremolo system. This will be my third guitar (altho, i don't think the first one counts, since i got it in a bundle deal, and realized it was a pretty crappy guitar after only a few months when i went out to get the guitar i have now). So from what it seems, i should prob try to find a older used Ibanez (such as a RG550, 720, 750 770...btw, what are all the 5xx and 7xx models?) with an original edge, or try to save up (a lot more than i want to spend) to get an edge pro. Cuz i want this guitar to last a LONG time so i don't need a new one in a few years....sorry so long...
post #21 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-01-2007, 02:53 AM Thread Starter

o, and does anyone know the differences between the 500 series and 700 series? Or what they will generally go for?....if i can find them next summer (hopefully)

sorry for the double post
post #22 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-01-2007, 09:24 AM

RG5xx(aside from th newer EX and LTDs):
dot inlays
V-series pickups

RG7xx
Sharkteeth inlays
Bound necks
IBZ/USA Dimarzio-made pickups.

Both series came with the Edge in the beginning, and the LoPro Edge in 1992-1995(the last year of the 7xx in the US was 1993). 1997 and later RG5xx guitars had the Edge.
post #23 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-02-2007, 02:32 PM Thread Starter

So by getting a used guitar, i may be getting one that has been heavily played for many years. Do the EG550s stand up well over time?...will it still be of a better quality and last longer than an edge III?
post #24 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-02-2007, 03:01 PM

It wouldn't be a difficult decision for me. I'd take a used RG5xx or RG7xx over an RG3xx/4xx any day of the week. Better made, better trem, better wood, etc...
post #25 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-03-2007, 07:40 AM
Dee

Quote:
So by getting a used guitar, i may be getting one that has been heavily played for many years. Do the EG550s stand up well over time?...will it still be of a better quality and last longer than an edge III?
It won't necessarily be heavily played, you could probably find plenty of mint condition older RG's but you'll pay a little more for one of those, obviously.

A decent Japanese RG could last you 20 years or so if you take care of it.
post #26 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-09-2007, 07:10 AM Thread Starter

Thanks, you guys have been really helpful. I believe that a used RG550 would be a very good guitar for me at this point. If there are any other guitars like this that would be of similar price and quality, please let me know, as i still don't know all the model numbers and differences between them.

Also, a little off topic, but can you tune a floating bridge to different settings (such as drop D for example) and still have it balanced? Obviously you can't switch between settings very quickly, but is it possible?
post #27 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-09-2007, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Also, a little off topic, but can you tune a floating bridge to different settings (such as drop D for example) and still have it balanced? Obviously you can't switch between settings very quickly, but is it possible?
Yes, it is possible. Drop D is rather easy... Ofcourse all the other strings will become more and more sharp as you tune the low E string down. I imagine it would only take... 5-10 minutes to get in perfect drop D from standard, if it's your first time doing so.

Tags
dot inlay , dot inlays , edge trem , equipped guitar , guitar shop , local guitar shop , neck finish , pro edge , tremolo system , wizard prestige

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode