Edge Pro vs. Edge III - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-29-2007, 02:00 AM Thread Starter

Edge Pro vs. Edge III

I have been looking into getting an Ibanez guitar. I really want a nice guitar for metal and hard rock that has a double lock whammy and will last for a long time. The Ibanez line seems to be the best for that. But i have a limited price range, and really can't get anything much more than 500 (less than that hopefully!)

Anyways, i have been reading lots of stuff, and it seems that many ppl belive that the Edge III system is flawed in some way. I realize it is made of cheaper materials than the Edge Pro, but i would like to know if the Edge Pro is worth 300 to 400 more dollars. What are the major differences and downfalls of the two models? I have searched other threads, but they don't really deal w/ performance and longevity issues.

Thank you very much

P.S. Sorry, i did actually post this in a different thread, but i think it should be a new thread since it didn't fit exactly into the thread i posted it in. Plus, then this way other ppl can read it too if they have the same problem
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-29-2007, 04:20 AM

Re: Edge Pro vs. Edge III

i didnt really even care about the edge pro. i just went a head and bought a rg370dx, and made it fenominally good. it has an edge 3, and if this is your first ibanez, i dont think it will make that much of a difference, but im pretty new to ibanez... so lets get a vet in here
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-29-2007, 05:54 AM
Dee

If performance and longevity is what you need, don't buy an Edge III equipped guitar. It is made from inferior metal and it won't last anywhere near as long as an Edge / Lo-Pro / Edge Pro. Look at buying an older RG such as a 5xx or 7xx series. $500 should get you a decent one.
post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-29-2007, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Force2BRW View Post
I have been looking into getting an Ibanez guitar. I really want a nice guitar for metal and hard rock that has a double lock whammy and will last for a long time. The Ibanez line seems to be the best for that. But i have a limited price range, and really can't get anything much more than 500 (less than that hopefully!)

Anyways, i have been reading lots of stuff, and it seems that many ppl belive that the Edge III system is flawed in some way. I realize it is made of cheaper materials than the Edge Pro, but i would like to know if the Edge Pro is worth 300 to 400 more dollars. What are the major differences and downfalls of the two models? I have searched other threads, but they don't really deal w/ performance and longevity issues.

Thank you very much

P.S. Sorry, i did actually post this in a different thread, but i think it should be a new thread since it didn't fit exactly into the thread i posted it in. Plus, then this way other ppl can read it too if they have the same problem

Everything Dee said +1

Also, the Edge Pro isn't the only reason the guitar is $300-400 more. You are also getting the Wizard Prestige, the Prestige fret and neck finish, better pups (most of the time, depends on who you talk to), higher quality body wood (I believe I've read this before and my UV and a RG350 I used to own, while both made of basswood felt EXTREMELY different concerning bodies), etc.

If you have the money to spare and want to buy new, Prestige is definitely the way to go.
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-30-2007, 08:37 AM Thread Starter

So the only main difference is how long it lasts? If so, what is the approximate length difference? And its VERY hard to find used 5xx and 7xx...
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-30-2007, 08:45 AM

Let's get this down to the main point.

If the guitar has an Edge III it's made in Indonesia.(are there any MIK's with the III?)
If the guitar has an Edge Pro it's made in Japan.

The quality difference of all the parts, not just the bridge, is substantial.

The Edge III is a low-end tremolo, therefore it is prone to wear more quickly, and will probably need to be replaced at some point in the future.. The Edge Pro is a top of the line tremolo, and should never need replacing, if it's fore bearers(the Original Edge and LoPro Edge) are any indication.

Which would rather have, a Yugo, or a Mitsubishi?
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-30-2007, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Force2BRW View Post
So the only main difference is how long it lasts? If so, what is the approximate length difference? And its VERY hard to find used 5xx and 7xx...
You get a concussion? 550's are everywhere just SCREAMING to be bought!! It might take more than 5 minutes to find a good one and win one on ****...but is in no way difficult to get a hold of an RG550 these days. Post a wanted ad on here too...I am sure someone will message you.
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-30-2007, 07:06 PM Thread Starter

Oops i'm sorry, i thought you guys actually meant there was a guitar called 5xx, not 5fill-in-the-blank. my bad
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-30-2007, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toshiro View Post
Let's get this down to the main point.

If the guitar has an Edge III it's made in Indonesia.(are there any MIK's with the III?)
If the guitar has an Edge Pro it's made in Japan.

The quality difference of all the parts, not just the bridge, is substantial.

The Edge III is a low-end tremolo, therefore it is prone to wear more quickly, and will probably need to be replaced at some point in the future.. The Edge Pro is a top of the line tremolo, and should never need replacing, if it's fore bearers(the Original Edge and LoPro Edge) are any indication.

Which would rather have, a Yugo, or a Mitsubishi?
I have an Edge III equipped RG320FM and it's made in Korea, GREAT guitar for the price...I don't think the Edge III it's that bad...but maybe as time passes by it may start showing signs of deterioration since the materials aren't top quality...
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-30-2007, 08:28 PM

Reviews: 1

the edge 3 isnt bad... is just not made like the original edge, lo-pro and edge pro, now that i actually own an original edge its pretty neat and trustworthy.
i've played an edge 2 and its nice and smooth but i think it wont last a couple of years or so, that is why the edge, lopro and edge pro are worth it and besides the craftmanship of the guitar is also better.
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-31-2007, 02:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepyone View Post
I have an Edge III equipped RG320FM and it's made in Korea, GREAT guitar for the price...I don't think the Edge III it's that bad...but maybe as time passes by it may start showing signs of deterioration since the materials aren't top quality...
Ah, I wasn't 100% sure(hence the caption). Either way, I would still go for a used RG750 or 770 over a new RG350DX any day of the week.
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-31-2007, 04:43 AM

Edge 3 isn't bad but it ain't as good as the edge pro.
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-31-2007, 04:47 AM

Reviews: 6

Nothing wrong with the edge 3.
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-31-2007, 02:15 PM

Edge III is horrible. IT wears out anywhere from 6 months to a year and a half. If you really want to buy an Edge III equiped guitar, swap the trem out for an OFR
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-31-2007, 05:05 PM

I'd suggest finding a used RG550 or similar. Not only is the Edge trem better, the whole guitar is better.

Tags
dot inlay , dot inlays , edge trem , equipped guitar , guitar shop , local guitar shop , neck finish , pro edge , tremolo system , wizard prestige

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode