Edge Pro vs Edge Zero - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

View Poll Results: EP or EZ?
Edge Zero 17 21.79%
Edge Pro 61 78.21%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

 2Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 57 (permalink) Old 05-30-2010, 03:18 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: long beach
Posts: 116
Edge Pro vs Edge Zero

What do you guys think?I have the choice of buying a guitar with an EP or an EZ,which one is better?vote and comment on what reasons as to which makes the EP or EZ better than the other...

thanks
deathmetallist3 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 57 (permalink) Old 05-30-2010, 04:10 PM
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: UK/Ireland
Posts: 3,525
Re: Edge Pro vs Edge Zero

Edge Pro. You may or may not want to get the locking stud mod done to that system as well.
IbanezDaemon is offline  
post #3 of 57 (permalink) Old 05-30-2010, 04:37 PM
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Amsterdam, Netherlands
Posts: 407
Re: Edge Pro vs Edge Zero

Might I suggest another great thread: Testing it out yourself vs. Using the search button
Brambram is offline  
post #4 of 57 (permalink) Old 05-30-2010, 05:15 PM
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Rochester NY
Posts: 387
Wink Re: Edge Pro vs Edge Zero

EP no contest
corpraider69 is offline  
post #5 of 57 (permalink) Old 05-30-2010, 09:27 PM
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Chofu, Tokyo
Posts: 71
Re: Edge Pro vs Edge Zero

Edge Zero better functionality, better arm adjustment, tuning stability, convenience, locking studs included. I had the Edge Pro and I liked the Edge Zero I tried in stores better. More precise vibratos with the EZ


From an engineering point of perspective (being an engineering student), Most likely that if they used an SS400 metal for an Edge Pro, they'll use the same thing for an Edge Zero. In reality, China has a lower labor cost compared to Japan, and to add in improvements to the Edge Pro would cost more. Chances are the metals used for it are of the same type as the Edge Pro, and I think I read that the Rockwell hardness of the studs are even better than the Edge Pros.

I'd like to think that the ZR trem which had some rave reviews is a prototype for the EZ. Since the ZR worked out well, I think it's unfair for the EZ to receive less recognition than the ZR. </end engineering talk>


However, traditionalists here are going to tell you the EP is better, because here everything MIC sucks like Apple Macbooks, iPods, plasma TVs and other stuff :P The statistics here won't give you the opinions of the whole population try the same poll in Japan and you'll get different results.

Last edited by rockstarazuri; 05-31-2010 at 03:18 AM.
rockstarazuri is offline  
post #6 of 57 (permalink) Old 05-30-2010, 11:54 PM
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Hamburg (Germany)
Posts: 26
Re: Edge Pro vs Edge Zero

Hands down, the Edge Zero is much much better than people want to admit.

So far I've never seen an Edge Zero that let me down in terms of stability feeling, playability or overall quality. The ZPS system is a nice gadget which allowed me, to restring my entire guitar without the Trem moving any way.
I really don't understand the bashing going on here, as I also tried out other models and without a lie, I like the EZ the most.
However, I don't really use the trem that much, I just play with it every now and then. Yet I don't even remember when I had to retune the guitar the last time, probably 3 or 4 Weeks ago.

To me the EZ is just as valuable as any other Edge + it has some nice extras but you should definitely try them both out first.
In the end it's a matter of taste I guess.
Clint Fastfood is offline  
post #7 of 57 (permalink) Old 05-31-2010, 03:37 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: long beach
Posts: 116
Re: Edge Pro vs Edge Zero

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockstarazuri View Post
Edge Zero better functionality, better arm adjustment, tuning stability, convenience, locking studs included. I had the Edge Pro and I liked the Edge Zero I tried in stores better. More precise vibratos with the EZ


From an engineering point of perspective (being an engineering student), Most likely that if they used an SS400 metal for an Edge Pro, they'll use the same thing for an Edge Zero. In reality, China has a lower labor cost compared to Japan, and to add in improvements to the Edge Pro would cost more. Chances are the metals used for it are of the same type as the Edge Pro, and I think I read that the Rockwell hardness of the studs are even better than the Edge Pros.

I'd like to think that the ZR trem which had some rave reviews is a prototype for the EZ. Since the ZR worked out well, I think it's unfair for the EZ to receive less recognition than the ZR. </end engineering talk>


However, traditionalists here are going to tell you the EP is better, because here everything MIC sucks like Apple Macbooks, iPods, plasma TVs and other stuff :P The statistics here won't give you the opinions of the whole population try the same poll in Japan and you'll get different results.
does the EZ go out of tune with high pullups and stuff?with bends and everything?

and can you tell something about the build quality of the ones you've played?do they have the same smooth finishing of the Edge pro?

and can you list advantages of it please?

EVen though many people diss the EZ,I think it's a good step forward in design???

Last edited by deathmetallist3; 05-31-2010 at 05:16 AM.
deathmetallist3 is offline  
post #8 of 57 (permalink) Old 05-31-2010, 03:59 AM
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Chofu, Tokyo
Posts: 71
Re: Edge Pro vs Edge Zero

Ask Rich or some others who has set a lot of those before. I believe it stays in tune very well. With the ZR in, you would be able to stay in tune even when doing double stops, unlike older Edges.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMPNJ...eature=related

I'll let this video do all the talking regarding the sustain and the tuning stability. People say it might not sustain well because of the sustain block, but it sustains enough for me.

I've only played some in stores. They do seem have the same finishing as the EP. Doesn't matter to me, it's gonna look worn like any other trems after some time of playing. No problem unless you're pedantic.

I already listed the advantages over other trems. Personally, the best thing about it is that you can change strings and intonate faster because you don't need a lot of tools for it. Even if you do, they will come attached to the guitar. Saves time and is much more convenient than the older Edges.

A lot of people here might be traditionalists who prefer older guitars with older technology, that's why they diss the EZ. Engineers (and students like myself) and designers will have a tough time paying our bills if the world is filled with people who are still stuck back in time *laughs*
rockstarazuri is offline  
post #9 of 57 (permalink) Old 05-31-2010, 04:39 AM
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: England
Posts: 7,015
Reviews: 1
Re: Edge Pro vs Edge Zero

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockstarazuri View Post
Ask Rich or some others who has set a lot of those before. I believe it stays in tune very well. With the ZR in, you would be able to stay in tune even when doing double stops, unlike older Edges.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMPNJ...eature=related

I'll let this video do all the talking regarding the sustain and the tuning stability. People say it might not sustain well because of the sustain block, but it sustains enough for me.

I've only played some in stores. They do seem have the same finishing as the EP. Doesn't matter to me, it's gonna look worn like any other trems after some time of playing. No problem unless you're pedantic.

I already listed the advantages over other trems. Personally, the best thing about it is that you can change strings and intonate faster because you don't need a lot of tools for it. Even if you do, they will come attached to the guitar. Saves time and is much more convenient than the older Edges.

A lot of people here might be traditionalists who prefer older guitars with older technology, that's why they diss the EZ. Engineers (and students like myself) and designers will have a tough time paying our bills if the world is filled with people who are still stuck back in time *laughs*
The Edge Zero has some great design points, but it's simply not as good a bridge at the Edge. It's not about tradition it's about function. The Edge Zero should be a vast improvement over the Edge, they've had 20 years to refine it, but the design isn't executed as well as it should be and that really lets it down. My main problem with it is that it's not good to use. It doesn't feel as good under the hand as the earlier bridges (which is what a bridge spends most of its time doing). It also feels less robust than the earlier bridges, perhaps from its more modular design, I don't know.

Sometimes there are real improvements in guitar design, other times it's change for the sake of change, other times things that should be great just simply miss the mark, but if Engineers (and students like rockstarazuri) and designers do keep missing the mark like this then they deserve to have a tough time paying their bills!!!
Hoseki likes this.
jono is offline  
post #10 of 57 (permalink) Old 05-31-2010, 05:18 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: long beach
Posts: 116
Re: Edge Pro vs Edge Zero

I dunno but,then why is the EZ is on their high end guitars..Like J.customs and the EP on their their lowest prestige(1421)?

my question is does it stay in tune?TBH feel is not very important to me as I've played only a couple of hours in an EP,so I can easily get adjusted to the heavyness and everything of the EZ
deathmetallist3 is offline  
post #11 of 57 (permalink) Old 05-31-2010, 05:38 AM
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: England
Posts: 7,015
Reviews: 1
Re: Edge Pro vs Edge Zero

Because the Japanese head office love it, as I said it "should" be brilliant, but it misses the mark it set for itself so to speak on a number of points. It may be on the prestige and j-customs but you'll notice that Satch and Vai have gone back to the original Edge on their signature models.
Hoseki likes this.
jono is offline  
post #12 of 57 (permalink) Old 05-31-2010, 05:52 AM
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Chofu, Tokyo
Posts: 71
Re: Edge Pro vs Edge Zero

It stays in tune. If it doesn't then it might be a problem with your setup.

Feel differs from player to player, you might prefer the feel of something over something else. In other words, it's preference. Vai and Satch have their preferences, and so does Herman Li

I don't know about the mechanics of the EZ vs Edge, but generally if extra mass doesn't help contribute to anything it's better to cut down on it, from what I've learned. Personally the EZ feels robust enough for me though. Not to mention compact

I speculate that if there's a player who starts by using the Edge Zero, and plays an Edge after 20 years of using the EZ, they're bound to complain about the Edge.

So far I don't see many owners who complain about the EZ though.

With the functional improvements on the EZ, I think that the engineers over at Ibanez is doing their job. If not missing the mark means that they have to cater to a group of people's preference of feel while leaving another group to complain, then I don't really know what to say.. they can't please everyone.

For the OP, test out both of them and choose what feels better to you. Both of them stay in tune well.

Last edited by rockstarazuri; 05-31-2010 at 06:07 AM. Reason: Msg to the OP
rockstarazuri is offline  
post #13 of 57 (permalink) Old 05-31-2010, 06:09 AM
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: England
Posts: 7,015
Reviews: 1
Re: Edge Pro vs Edge Zero

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathmetallist3 View Post
I dunno but,then why is the EZ is on their high end guitars..Like J.customs and the EP on their their lowest prestige(1421)?

my question is does it stay in tune?TBH feel is not very important to me as I've played only a couple of hours in an EP,so I can easily get adjusted to the heavyness and everything of the EZ
Allegedly, it stays in tune fine, as long as it's set up well. I've had nothng but trouble with the ones I've tried in stores, so much so that I've not bought a guitar equipped with one.
jono is offline  
post #14 of 57 (permalink) Old 05-31-2010, 06:13 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: long beach
Posts: 116
Re: Edge Pro vs Edge Zero

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockstarazuri View Post
For the OP, test out both of them and choose what feels better to you. Both of them stay in tune well.
The problem is our local music store only has a 2570 with an EP on it.no EZ guitars..

I will have to order online,so that means I have to solely depend on your opinions...

Like I said before,Feel isn't important to me...this my first ibanez edge series bridge so I can get used to it quickly...

can I anchor my hand on the bridge with the EP?(and the EZ?)
deathmetallist3 is offline  
post #15 of 57 (permalink) Old 05-31-2010, 06:15 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: long beach
Posts: 116
Re: Edge Pro vs Edge Zero

Quote:
Originally Posted by jono View Post
I've had nothng but trouble with the ones I've tried in stores, so much so that I've not bought a guitar equipped with one.
can you please explain what trouble you had with it?(excluding the feel of the bridge,but in terms of technicality and functionality)
deathmetallist3 is offline  
Reply

Tags
edge pro , edge zero , rg1570

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).



Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
LF: Lo-Pro Edge, Edge Pro or Edge Pro II in Madrid Spain kevlahnota Classified Ads: Guitars and Gear 2 03-24-2010 12:40 PM
FT Ibanez Edge Pro Powder Cosmo Black for Edge Pro Gold supergirl20_06 Classified Ads: Guitars and Gear 2 12-02-2009 11:05 AM
FT Ibanez Edge Powder Cosmo Black for Edge Pro Gold supergirl20_06 Classified Ads: Guitars and Gear 1 06-26-2009 05:45 PM
WTB: Ibanez edge/LP edge/edge pro saddle mounting screws Ratit Classified Ads: Guitars and Gear 0 04-18-2009 09:16 PM
Replace Edge Pro With Edge/ Lo-pro Edge Trem Vaistarr Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods 28 04-01-2008 01:18 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome