Edge Zero Bridge - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-01-2010, 05:48 AM Thread Starter

Edge Zero Bridge

Hi, my edge zero bridge doesn't stay in tune, and I think that it is because the knife edges are worn out, because when I adjusted the action on this guitar, I turned the trem post without loosening the strings. I don't want to put chapstick on the knife edge ever time I restring, and I want to solve the problem for good, so I was wondering if it was possible to fit an OFR without rerouting the guitar.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-01-2010, 06:24 AM

Reviews: 2
Re: Edge Zero Bridge

before you buy a new one, maybe you could try to sharpen the knives with a small file...could save you some $
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-22-2010, 10:20 PM

The posts on the Zero are too far apart to change to other bridges. So unless you go major surgery, you are stuck with it for life.
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-26-2010, 04:23 PM

Just adjusting the action a few times with the strings to pitch is not enough to cause that much wear to the knives.

I've been doing it on my RG550 for the past 20 years and have little trouble with it. The guitar does go ever so slightly sharp on a pull-up, but not even enough that the average listener notices.

If your guitar is going badly out of tune, it's most likely something other than the knives.

Check that everything is tight, make sure the strings are stretched and you don't have to Chapstick EVERY time, I've found that once every year is plenty, if even that often, and even then, I haven't put any on my 550 in several years, and it's still fine.

Even putting a real Floyd (you can't, by the way) on there isn't a 'for sure' fix to a guitar going out of tune. The Ibanez Edge bridges, even though people aren't that happy with the Edge Zero, are some of the best on the market.

Again, check everything before you simply assume you've 'ruined' your knives by adjusting the action. I've done it so many times with zero problems I can't even begin to count, so I'm guessing you didn't destroy your knives just by adjusting the action and there's something else that's causing the problem.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-26-2010, 11:32 PM

Reviews: 11

yea dude, i cant give you any fix's because 1. i have an edge pro and have never touched an edge zero and 2. my edge pro has never had problems but i WILL say that the edge zero kicks the s**t out of the OFR. "original" doesnt mean the best. most of the time its the one with the most problems and the hardest to use because if its the original, then it was made before they had time to work out the kinks or even know what they are. because the OFR itself hasnt much changed since its 1st release, which is why they still call it original
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-27-2010, 11:01 PM Thread Starter

Maybe replacing the locking nuts might help, because I found out that my locking nuts were really worn out, and the string even cut in the the locking nuts. I dont know how this happened, maybe I'm over tightening my locking nuts?
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-28-2010, 12:48 AM

You only need to tighten them enough to hold the string. Don't over do it.

I just tighten gently until it stops then bounce my finger off of the wrench a couple of times.

Try that, then detune the string a little using the tuning key behind the nut. If it goes flat, you didn't tighten enough.

It takes a little practice to get it just right, but NEVER over tighten them, as you've seen, you can damage to lock-blocks and even the nut itself.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-28-2010, 02:47 PM
VCR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remy0325 View Post
Maybe replacing the locking nuts might help, because I found out that my locking nuts were really worn out, and the string even cut in the the locking nuts. I dont know how this happened, maybe I'm over tightening my locking nuts?
If you are smashing the strings with the lock nut you are going to far. Most obvious with the wound strings
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-29-2010, 12:58 PM

Did you keep the ZPS bar on the trem? All three of my Edge Zero's are fantastic. They stay in tune super well. I've had no issues with them. I have my Edge Pro to compare with on my RG1527 and I like the Zero much, much better.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-03-2010, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicJustMic View Post
You only need to tighten them enough to hold the string. Don't over do it.

I just tighten gently until it stops then bounce my finger off of the wrench a couple of times.

Try that, then detune the string a little using the tuning key behind the nut. If it goes flat, you didn't tighten enough.

It takes a little practice to get it just right, but NEVER over tighten them, as you've seen, you can damage to lock-blocks and even the nut itself.
I found a good way of doing it is to insert the long part of the allen wrench into the screw, so you're turning it using the short section. You've got less torque at your fingertips that way and its hard to overtighten. Sounds like a pretty daft tip, but i started doing it after cutting a few strings by overtightening myself.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-03-2010, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevla View Post
I found a good way of doing it is to insert the long part of the allen wrench into the screw, so you're turning it using the short section. You've got less torque at your fingertips that way and its hard to overtighten. Sounds like a pretty daft tip, but i started doing it after cutting a few strings by overtightening myself.
Whatever works!

No such thing as a 'daft tip' if it's something useful to even one person reading.

Unless of course you tell someone to use a power-drill to tighten the hold-downs... that would be a pretty daft tip.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-03-2010, 12:54 PM

Quote:
That is a great tip! Once that pad grips the string, you really don't have to wrench it. You are just squashing the end even more. Good tip!

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-03-2010, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevla View Post
I just realized...

After I got a set of wrenches from stewmac with ball-ends on them, I've been doing the same thing, just never really thought about it.

The ball-ends allow you to go in on an angle (like for the saddles on an Edge Pro, where the fine-tuners can get in the way) and I just got into the habit of using only the balls and since they are on the long end I didn't even realize I was using it.

See? Good tip, not 'daft'.

Tags
edge zero , edge zero issue , swapping bridges , tuning problem

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode