The Edge Zero Bridge. - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-07-2008, 11:24 PM Thread Starter

The Edge Zero Bridge.

Is it true that this bridge has the ability to function as a *fixed* bridge and also as floating? With no additional hardware added? I've heard that you CAN change tunings with this bridge without having to re-adjust the floating tremolo and I was wondering if this was true since I have not had the opportunity to tinker with one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-08-2008, 08:49 AM

Re: The Edge Zero Bridge.

It uses the same system as the ZR tremolo. Assuming the tremolo is about as effective as the ZR, then its technically not true, however it IS a hell of a lot easier to do thanks to the thumbscrew on the back letting you set spring tension where you need it, as you need it.

Last edited by GuitarBizarre; 09-08-2008 at 10:21 AM.
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-08-2008, 10:20 AM Thread Starter

I see. Thanks!
post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-08-2008, 12:20 PM

I wouldn't say fixed....however very close, on my 08 J-Custom when I broke a string at a recent gig, it stayed nicely in tune and I was able to finish out the song and change the guitar over after. It works great. The fact that I can adjust the angle to my liking with the thumb screw is a beauty as well. I really like this bridge and the ability to intonate without having to loosen the string. It's a solid setup!

post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-08-2008, 12:24 PM

It should be noted that you have to set the spring tension much lower than normal, and leave the ZPS bar IN the tremolo, to keep it in tune during string breaks.
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-08-2008, 12:44 PM
Vendor

It may stay in more relative tune when a spring breaks, but it does not stay in tune.
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-08-2008, 01:04 PM

This bridge has gotten a strangely cold reception in our community...
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-08-2008, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino View Post
This bridge has gotten a strangely cold reception in our community...
Because frankly, Jemsite is still stuck in the 80's and refuses to accept the possibility of anything superior to an original wizard or any bridge newer than the Edge or LoPro Edge. Everything here revolves around those things and its a wonder ibanez don't think they're made nothing but crap ever since, the way people go on about it.

The ZR is only now beginning to be accepted. The new bridges are a long way off of acceptance.

----------------
Now playing: Michael Jackson - Someone Put Your Hand Out
via FoxyTunes
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-08-2008, 01:36 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarBizarre View Post
Because frankly, Jemsite is still stuck in the 80's and refuses to accept the possibility of anything superior to an original wizard or any bridge newer than the Edge or LoPro Edge. Everything here revolves around those things and its a wonder ibanez don't think they're made nothing but crap ever since, the way people go on about it.

The ZR is only now beginning to be accepted. The new bridges are a long way off of acceptance.

----------------
Now playing: Michael Jackson - Someone Put Your Hand Out
via FoxyTunes

Hehehe, not that it's such a bad thing, but yes, it seems like many Ibanez players are still very fixated on the 80's/hair metal/shred scene lol. It's cool I guess, I'm just not that into florescent colored guitars or maple fretboards that much!
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-08-2008, 01:40 PM
Vendor

Yea, maybe if the fine tuners weren't so hard to turn or grab hold of, or at such an awkward angle, or the saddle lockdown screws and nut pad screws weren't such poor quality a wrench hardly fits in them, or maybe if the cosmo looked halfway like it does on a Japanese part, or if it wasn't so blatently only produced to avoid FR Licensing fees, made as cheaply as possible in China to maximize profit margins, which shows, or the rout behind it was anywhere near close to the back of the trem and much more attractive, yea, maybe we'd all jump out of our Edge Pro rut of 2007 and jump on the Edge Zero bandwagon of 2008? It's so superior to what we had a year before......
post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-08-2008, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Yea, maybe if the fine tuners weren't so hard to turn or grab hold of, or at such an awkward angle, or the saddle lockdown screws and nut pad screws weren't such poor quality a wrench hardly fits in them, or maybe if the cosmo looked halfway like it does on a Japanese part, or if it wasn't so blatently only produced to avoid FR Licensing fees, made as cheaply as possible in China to maximize profit margins, which shows, or the rout behind it was anywhere near close to the back of the trem and much more attractive, yea, maybe we'd all jump out of our Edge Pro rut of 2007 and jump on the Edge Zero bandwagon of 2008? It's so superior to what we had a year before......
Why not make a bridge design and investigate how much it would cost to roll a batch from a local metal shop or something? Lots of the bit-tech.co.uk people do their own metal milling for lots of parts...I'm sure they'd have a lot of advice on things. And I'm sure since you know damn well everything you'd be able to design a superior bridge to just about everything else, ever.

----------------
Now playing: Canibus - Curriculuum 101
via FoxyTunes
post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-08-2008, 02:01 PM
Vendor

I'm a guitar dealer, I have no interest in manufacturing my own parts, much less, what would I do with them? I do find it very easy to see faults in products that should be as apparent to everybody else as well, but I guess some just can't see the trees for the forest.
post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-08-2008, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
I'm a guitar dealer, I have no interest in manufacturing my own parts, much less, what would I do with them? I do find it very easy to see faults in products that should be as apparent to everybody else as well, but I guess some just can't see the trees for the forest.
Well for one thing, If I saw you design a bridge I'd think 'I know exactly how much RIch hates finding problems, so it stands to reason that if Rich designed a bridge, there are more than enough luthiers on Jemsite alone that he could shift them and make the money back at least if not a profit', even if they were expensive parts, because

1- They'd be almost guaranteed to own face.
2 - You'd have no trouble shifting them because you're well known and people trust you and your stuff.

I wasn't implying you should start building guitars with your trems in them, lord knows thats a hell of a lot of work, but designing a bridge and having it manufactured is basically a matter of keeping track of your finanaces once they go into production.

Thats my take on it anyway, I'm sure I've missed a lot, but the asic of it is that 'If rich designed a bridge, it would own and i would buy it even if it was more than an equivalent edge or Edge pro etc.'

----------------
Now playing: The Orichalcon - Final Doom River Styx OC ReMix
via FoxyTunes
post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-08-2008, 02:54 PM

I haven't seen one in person yet, but I have learned the hard way not to be a guinea pig for this stuff especially the first year.
post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-08-2008, 03:02 PM
Vendor

Eh, maybe if I had the time, inclination, and a spare $20,000, cause anyway you slice it, tooling up for even a small run is not cheap. And I would imagine being proficient in CAD would almost be a prerequisite!

Tags
edge zero , tunings

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode