Edge Zero II can't drop D ? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-09-2012, 02:20 AM Thread Starter

Edge Zero II can't drop D ?

So I recently ordered an RG350 which is brand new from the facto with an Edge Zero II Trem. When i first got it the fine tuners were extremely tight and only tunes to about quarter of a step. I asked the staff and they said all ibanez trems can't be dropped tuned with afine tuner and its only meant to tune the guitar.

I have owned a few ibanez and seriously don't recall it being that way. Is there something I am missing here?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-09-2012, 12:51 PM

Reviews: 4
Re: Edge Zero II can't drop D ?

As a matter of fact, no floating bridge guitar (any brand) can go drop-d while locked. You would specifically need to block the bridge in order to not throw off the entire tuning. With it blocked, you may even be able to use a D-tuna.

It is probably true the fine tuners have less range on the EZII than the original edge. However, they will probably loosen up over time, and if it bothers you that much, you can probably have them retrofitted, but I'm not sure.

Knowing you have owned a few Ibby before, you probably know the basics on the bridge setup, but I still recommend this, just because you never know what good info you can come across here. > http://www.ibanezrules.com/tech/setup/index.htm
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-09-2012, 12:57 PM

That's why I don't like it when I play a guitar in the store with a floating trem that is already tuned to drop D. I prefer standard tuning, and you can't just quickly tune it back up in the store if it has a floating trem.

It's the same way if it's tuned to standard and you want drop D.

But sometimes I wonder why store techs will tune them to drop D and then put them out for people to try. I played an RG1XXV at Sam Ash a few times and it was nice. A week or so later I went back and wanted to play it again and it was tuned to drop D. Someone went to the trouble of changing the tuning and then putting it back on the wall.
post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-09-2012, 03:05 PM

Reviews: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironfistx View Post
That's why I don't like it when I play a guitar in the store with a floating trem that is already tuned to drop D. I prefer standard tuning, and you can't just quickly tune it back up in the store if it has a floating trem.

But sometimes I wonder why store techs will tune them to drop D and then put them out for people to try. I played an RG1XXV at Sam Ash a few times and it was nice. A week or so later I went back and wanted to play it again and it was tuned to drop D. Someone went to the trouble of changing the tuning and then putting it back on the wall.
That's why I've decided to start bringing my Allen wrenches when I go try guitars now. Heck, I can probably do an on the fly setup and it would end up better than it was before! Nobody will notice!
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-09-2012, 03:08 PM

To be honest, if you want to be doing drop D you either want a hardtail or an original Floyd loaded with an EVH d-tuna - or guitar loaded with something similar like some of the slightly older S-series.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-09-2012, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeglectedField View Post
To be honest, if you want to be doing drop D you either want a hardtail or an original Floyd loaded with an EVH d-tuna - or guitar loaded with something similar like some of the slightly older S-series.
Agreed if you are trying to have 1 guitar that does both tunings... But....

Honestly, I much prefer having a separate guitar setup and dialed in specifically for drop-D. You can dial it in perfectly without any compromises, can retain a fully floating bridge, and personally I prefer a slightly heavier gauge string set for drop-D also (personally I find the EB 52-10 set ideal for drop-D!).

So I guess what I'm saying is rather than buying a guitar and trying to set it up to easily swap between tunings, which IS possible but does require compromises, buy a guitar whose tone & feel fits the tuning & type of music you want to play it in, then perfect it's setup for that tuning. Over time you can collect a couple of guitars, each "specialized" for its particular tuning/role.

I realize it's expensive to have multiple guitars, but even relatively inexpensive guitars, properly set up, can be great players! And honestly, much better than tryin to create one do-it-all axe... IMHO...
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-09-2012, 04:36 PM

Reviews: 2

For the record, I can go from true E-standard to "dropped-D" using only the fine tuner range on my USA (OE equipped) The problem is that it's not true dropped-D. It's a little flat because of the lower tension.

The fine tuners on the OE/LP do have the range, but LOTS of fine tuning has to be done to get to true drop-D.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-09-2012, 06:19 PM

Once you mess with the fine tuners, the guitar will go flat a little. SO just like everyone said, it won't really be in tune or exactly on with your tuner because of the spring tension. The reason the D-tuna works for EVH is because he is in a 1 guitar band. Its much easier to pull of than if you was in a 2 guitar player band.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-09-2012, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickicker View Post
Once you mess with the fine tuners, the guitar will go flat a little. SO just like everyone said, it won't really be in tune or exactly on with your tuner because of the spring tension. The reason the D-tuna works for EVH is because he is in a 1 guitar band. Its much easier to pull of than if you was in a 2 guitar player band.
EVH also blocks his Floyds, so they're dive-bomb only. A blocked trem setup with sufficient spring tension pulling the Floyd firmly against the block is what the D-Tuna is designed for. In this application it works fine. You can change between standard and drop-D tuning with minimal (if any) tuning wander.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-09-2012, 06:34 PM

Reviews: 120

Quote:
It's not the main reason. His Floyd Rose's aren't recessed, so they stay in the same spot, ensuring the other strings stay in tune.
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-09-2012, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfssdude View Post
EVH also blocks his Floyds, so they're dive-bomb only. A blocked trem setup with sufficient spring tension pulling the Floyd firmly against the block is what the D-Tuna is designed for. In this application it works fine. You can change between standard and drop-D tuning with minimal (if any) tuning wander.

what he said. I forgot to mention that too. I saw in a interview where he said his trems were set for "dive only". I have never seen him do any flutters or anything but on the new van halen album there is a bunch of harmonics that go start low and go high then back down. hmmmmmmm
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-09-2012, 07:10 PM

Quote:
what he said. I forgot to mention that too. I saw in a interview where he said his trems were set for "dive only". I have never seen him do any flutters or anything but on the new van halen album there is a bunch of harmonics that go start low and go high then back down. hmmmmmmm
Yeah he does those by hitting the harmonic with the trem dived. Then he can bring the pitch up by releasing the dive. He really likes the 2nd fret G & B string natural harmonics for those.
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-09-2012, 10:26 PM

Reviews: 6

Just get a tremol-no for your tremol-no. You can have 3 settings, full floating, dive only, and hard tail. Check the demo http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xiZni...layer_embedded
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-09-2012, 10:47 PM

Using the fine tuners to drop D is very common. I've been doing it for years on all my floating bridges. I get in the habit of just about bottoming out the low E fine tuner, retune to pitch and lock the nut. From that point on I just back off the fine tuner to drop d. It generally only knocks out the g and high E which you can fine tune as well..

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironfistx View Post

post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-09-2012, 10:48 PM

On a side note, my first Kramer had a Floyd II on it, and the fine tuners had very little travel. Lame!!

Tags
edge zero ii trem

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode