Edge Zero on Prestige, are they that bad? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

5Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 61 (permalink) Old 05-30-2017, 12:47 AM Thread Starter
rgr

Edge Zero on Prestige, are they that bad?

So, I'm looking for a RG and have been looking for a 655 that has the original Edge which I know and love. I have also used an Edge Pro 7 that was a really good bridge too. In my search I found a great deal on a 1570z with an Edge Zero (yes, I know that is what the z stands for) and doing a little research it seems there is a lot of uhmm, dislike for the Edge Zero trem (hate is such an ugly word). So, I guess my question is, is the Edge Zero (not the EZ II or III on the Premiums) really that bad?

The 1570z is pretty much mint for a great price, but it has the Edge Zero, so I'm hesitant. I'm actually leaning toward a 655 with the tried and true Edge, but the price on the 1570z is very tempting.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 61 (permalink) Old 05-30-2017, 05:09 AM

Re: Edge Zero on Prestige, are they that bad?

Ibanez is puting Edge Zero in J. customs

Electric Guitar RG - RG8570Z j.custom | Ibanez guitars

do you think they would put bad tremolo in those guitars?
ShinkanPo likes this.
post #3 of 61 (permalink) Old 05-30-2017, 09:02 AM Thread Starter
rgr

It looks like they are using the Lo Pro Edge on the J Customs now, the Edge Zero didn't seem to last very long on Prestiges and J Customs. Is it the same bridge they used on the Premiums or are there different levels of EZs?

I've seen Rich post about the bad design, hard to use fine tuners, etc... but since there seem to be different versions, I'm just trying to understand if that is the EZ II and III on the Premium versions, or if it is the original EZ that was used on the Prestige line? The newer II and III look more like the LP Edge than the original version.

So, I guess I'm kinda confused because there seem to be multiple versions and trying to understand what is on the RG1570Z Prestige that I am considering.

Last edited by rgr; 05-30-2017 at 09:08 AM.
post #4 of 61 (permalink) Old 05-30-2017, 09:23 AM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1

Premiums have EZ2 (improved knife edges, etc.)

As they say.... it's cheap for a reason... in this case it's demand. It's not an Edge/LoPro/Pro and not as good as the new EZ2 by all accounts.

Not sure if the route of the EZ accepts OFR drop in. If so that mitigates the risk as knife edges inevitably wear you have a nice RG with OFR later on.
post #5 of 61 (permalink) Old 05-30-2017, 11:17 AM Thread Starter
rgr

So Glen, if I understand you correctly, you're saying the Edge Zero on the Prestige line was basically a failed experiment to reduce costs and isn't the same quality as the Gotoh made Edge, LoPro, and Pro?

Guess I'll go with a 655 or similar with a "real" Edge series trem.
post #6 of 61 (permalink) Old 05-30-2017, 11:25 AM
site founder 0% owner

Failed for sure, i prefer not to speculate why they thought it would be useful in any Prestige axe or if it was experimental. I think Ibanez Japan really believes what i'd term hubris.

The EZ was designed to get around paying royalties to FR. Ibanez screwed that up, got litigated anyways and the EZ1 had to be pulled as a result. That created problems of course as the routes were different. Some of the body tops are embarrassing. Typical Ibanez japan clusterfvk not listening to what customers want.

The way I look at it with your decision is why not pay $100-$200 more for an RG with real Edge. These are so cheap in the USA in great condition always available.
post #7 of 61 (permalink) Old 05-30-2017, 11:39 AM Thread Starter
rgr

Yeah, I'm in agreement, hate if for the people that got stuck with the "Z" Prestige and J Custom models. I'll be looking for models with "real" Edge trems, probably a 655 at this point.

Cheap is relative for me right now, just starting back into the working world after looking for a year and selling 4 - 5 guitars, including my favorite RG1527 and rootbeer JEM this winter.

So, anything else to look for in current production models? I just saw the thread on the 655 with cracked neck and beginning to wonder if maybe ESP/LTD is a better choice... The M-1000SE looks pretty nice.
post #8 of 61 (permalink) Old 05-30-2017, 11:54 AM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemsite View Post
Failed for sure, i prefer not to speculate why they thought it would be useful in any Prestige axe or if it was experimental. I think Ibanez Japan really believes what i'd term hubris.

The EZ was designed to get around paying royalties to FR. Ibanez screwed that up, got litigated anyways and the EZ1 had to be pulled as a result. That created problems of course as the routes were different. Some of the body tops are embarrassing. Typical Ibanez japan clusterfvk not listening to what customers want.

The way I look at it with your decision is why not pay $100-$200 more for an RG with real Edge. These are so cheap in the USA in great condition always available.
When you don't know you probably shouldn't answer.

EZ1 is on the Prestige and had the intonation bolt in the baseplate.
EZ2 is the same trem minus the intonation bolt with dumbed down base and saddles without the tabs that were needed for the bolt.

The trem was Japans baby, they still love that trem, it's their design. Functionally it feel better than a Lo Pro, has positive torque control on the arm, and has the hardest knife edges and studs [locking] they ever used on a trem.

Drawbacks, it was made in China, the rout is not compatible with anything else [stud spacing wider], the fine tuners were tough to grip to turn, and the biggest problem is they dropped the steel saddle lockdown plate so if/when you strip the threads on one it has to be Helicoiled.

The lawsuit was about the sprung ZPS unit and had nothing to do with the trem.
MANY people did and still love the EZ and prefer it over Edge/Lo Pro, I'm not in that camp but it's easy to see why.
post #9 of 61 (permalink) Old 05-30-2017, 11:59 AM
site founder 0% owner

So now the EZ1 was not changed due to litigation... um ok lets assume that is true....

Why did they make the EZ2 then?
post #10 of 61 (permalink) Old 05-30-2017, 11:59 AM
site founder 0% owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
MANY people did and still love the EZ and prefer it over Edge/Lo Pro.
Citation please
post #11 of 61 (permalink) Old 05-30-2017, 12:02 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post

EZ1 is on the Prestige and had the intonation bolt in the baseplate.
EZ2 is the same trem minus the intonation bolt with dumbed down base and saddles without the tabs that were needed for the bolt.
Somebody once told me comprehension is a good thing.....

Like I said, if you don't know you probably shouldn't just throw out speculation from that twisted mind.

The EZ and EZ2 were used concurrently.
ShinkanPo likes this.
post #12 of 61 (permalink) Old 05-30-2017, 12:20 PM
site founder 0% owner

it was discussed the saddles were an legal issue. In your jabs you didn't provide rationale for use of the "dumbed down base and saddles" in the EZ2.
post #13 of 61 (permalink) Old 05-30-2017, 12:28 PM
Vendor

Sorry, saddles were never discussed as a legal issue.
The rationale is obvious. The EZ2 was used on the Indo guitars, EZ on the Japanese.

They're not jabs, they're what you would tell anybody making false claims based on a lack or faulty information. If you don't know, it's better to say nothing than just be wrong.
post #14 of 61 (permalink) Old 05-30-2017, 12:32 PM
site founder 0% owner

LOL.

Is the EZ1 made in China?
post #15 of 61 (permalink) Old 05-30-2017, 12:34 PM
Vendor

All EZ and ZR's were/are MIC. They pinched every penny out of all of them they could.
Closed Thread

Tags
edge zero

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode